Thursday, 29 January 2015

Believe ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well.  Today I want to share some words of wisdom that I recently found.  I was tempted not to post this at first but I realised these words mean a lot to me and I totally relate to them and they are why I have set up a second blog that has nothing much to do with my card art creations but is more about me and what I want to do.



It took many years to learn and practice how to stamp, colour and create projects I liked.  It also took years of practice to hone those skills enough that these days I actually like what card art I create 95% of the time. 

I want to do the artsy/paint/crafty stuff I used to enjoy at school and twenty years ago when we moved here.  However my skills are not as good as I hoped.   Then I saw a post on Tracy’s blog and I remembered this journal and quote.  It was a complete ‘doh’ moment, it fits exactly how I’m feeling right now.  It has been more than seventeen years since I doodle/sketch/draw/paint.  How dumb and presumptive am I?  I thought those skills were there ready and waiting to be used. 

So I sat down and thought about it and had a discussion with DH, he is so very supportive.  Those skills are rusty and nearly non existent, but they’ve not completely gone.  It took me years to practice and hone my card art skills.  I am going to try and do the same with my artsy/crafty skills.  When I look back at earlier projects when I first learnt to stamp I’m embarrassed and I’m hoping that I will repeat that feat here.

The moral of my waffle and my word for 2015 is BELIEVE.  I will practise drawing/doodling/painting a little every day and BELIEVE in the long run I’ll be happy with my creations and I’ll learn a lot along the way and that is why I set up a second blog.  I’ll share my mistakes and my sketches or paintings with you but I will keep on practising to improve those skills.

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do this week  ttfn Karen x

4 comments:

Bibi at Rubber Dance said...

Thank you for sharing Ira's words of wisdom, Karen! I think "that gap" explains it very well, why we might not be satisfied with our work - we have good taste!! :-) I'll always remember that one. Thanks!!
I have struggeled to be happy with my end results, so my "solution" was to not finish anything because then there was no *end result* to dislike! But this was obviously not a good solution ... so I found a new one: Enjoy the process, no matter what the result might be. This works for me, most of the time. Not always (I do want nice results now and then...), but it has taught be to be in the moment more often and enjoy the actual process of creating, and when I enjoy what I do it really doesn't matter what the end result looks like. Not yet. Not till I've closed that gap ..., and I believe that enjoying the process will help me close that gap, some day ...
Thank you for sharing!!
XOX

Carol said...

So glad you posted this Karen...I can so relate to it! I've been posting goldie oldies on a Friday and I can see how far my card making has come on over the years and am hoping my mixed media work goes the same way. Carol x

SARN said...

Good post Karen and words that are worth remembering too.

Even if I'm not keen on the outcome . . . I ALWAYS enjoy the process of creating it. Having FUN is what I get most from my Art Journal.

Something else I read is: Whether you think you CAN or you think you CAN'T . . . you're RIGHT! So, naturally, it's best to think you CAN do whatever it is you're trying to achieve!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Becca Cruger said...

As you can tell, I'm poking around in some of you past posts, now that I'm a new bloggy follower. Just wanted to say how much I adore this sentiment and I hope your one little word with keep you remembering it long into the future!