Wednesday, 28 January 2015

Wednesday's post is about a new blog and different techniques ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well.  This is my first post on my new blog!
I decided to set up a second blog to share items that I’m creating for DH, family, friends or myself.  I will still enter challenges but I want this blog to be more about my creative journey.  I want to get back to when I was more artistic and free with my sketching and colouring.  I don’t want to have to create perfect card art all the time.  That is what my Stamping in Pink blog is about and my OCD ways of creating them lol!  This blog is for me and others that may like the craftier than the perfectly stylish style. 
Today I’ve a mixed media calendar page to share.  The lovely Roni of Ink Stains Blog is sharing a weekly tutorial of ‘how to do mixed media’.  Now I’ve only just got my head around letting go of my OCD tendencies to work on my journal!  However it’s something I’ve wanted to get back to and do for a long time but I’ve been very nervous and terrified of being harshly judged lol!  Anyways here it is …

The whole 'page'  
A final look

I think I was too heavy handed with the gesso, the paint and the sparkly mica!  I’m not 100% happy with the end result I’ve learnt so much doing it – so I am happy enough with my first true mixed media creation.  I know I’ll probably have another go at this lol!  Items I’ve used are listed below but a lot of it is old stash and not easy to purchase any more.  Also I’ve started dabbling with creating my own spray inks from acrylic paints – yep I’ve seriously mucky fingers the last couple of days but DH says I was smiling bigger and a lot more recently and I know I’ll keep going with it!  Hopefully not trying too much to perfect it though lol!
I don’t want to share the step by steps with you as it is very much a personal choice of what you use.  Roni has two posts on her blog, the first is here and the second here, listing the steps for you.  If you are like me and want to learn a bit more about mixed media then do go and have a look at her blog and follow or subscribe.
I will be sharing my journal on this blog as well as more calendar pages that I have created.  The next lot are a lot more in my usual comfort zone of ink, light painting and heat embossing!  I have found a monthly calendar challenge that I plan to enter every month so that I have at least two hand crafted presents for Christmas 2015!

Created Especially for me and These Challenges:
Tando Creative Colour Challenge: I used all the blue shades and the mica is a silvery brown
Unruly Paper Arts Challenge Colours and Prompt: Global Traveller (USA) I used the colours to create a winter scene and I am channelling my inner tourist and imagining the USA with all that snow! 

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it.  I hope you all like one of my new avenues and that you get some time to do what you love to do this week!  ttfn Karen x







Tools: 
Sheena Douglass stamp sets: Ornate Snowflakes & Highlands Silhouette
Computer and printer to download the template
Scissors; heat gun; paint brushes; paint palette; spray bottle of water; pallette knife

Stash:
Card/Paper: an old cereal box cut into the arch shape – template at Roni’s blog
Colours: white gesso #; white acrylic paint #; Luna Lights watercolour paint #; Ranger Archival Green IP; Blue Glitz WOW EP
Embellishments: silver mica flakes; Cosmic Shimmer Sparkle Texture Paste: Frosty Dawn
Glues: Collall all purpose glue
Other: Versamark IP

# VOS: +5 years old


11 comments:

Bibi at Rubber Dance said...

Congratulations with your new blog and first true mixed media creation! I love all the texture you've made and I think you did a wonderful job here. It's great that you learned a lot from making it and I look forward to seeing more of your "non- perfect" work. This IS perfect in my opinion, though! Thank you so much for entering our January challenge! Hope to see you there next month as well.
I wish you all the best with your new blog and your creative journey!
XOX

Roni JJ said...

Good for you and your new blog! I think you did a super job Karen and I'm so glad you're going to let things go and give in to the messy mixed media side. ;) I can't wait to see more of your creations!

Roni JJ said...

P.s.... love all the mica & glitter - you can never have too much sparkle ;)

Silvia(Barnie) said...

That's a wonderful page.

Carol said...

I've caught up with you lol! You did a fab job with your January calendar page...love your take. I've not managed to make one yet but hope to soon. Carol x

Karen Gist said...

This is really beautiful Karen, you should be proud of what you have achieved my lovely! Thank you for linking this piece to Tando x

Fiona Spain said...

Great page.

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Great texture in the background, beautiful mixed media piece, thanks so much for playing along with us at Unruly PaperArts RAQ this month

Lesley said...

Lovely page! xx

Danie May said...

Karen this new year is all about exciting changes and new beginnings so you have definitely started with a bang.....I am loving the blog and your project today.....Roni always shares such wonderful techniques. I am going to take a leaf out of your book too and channel the inner tourist as I'd love to be in all that snow right now with the heat we have been getting here. Thanks so much for joining us again this month at Unruly PaperArts...Danie xx

butterfliecrafter said...

welcome to the wonderful world of mixed media, where everything goes, even perfection if you'd like too :-)