Wednesday, 25 February 2015

Clay, modelling gel, paints and sparkles ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your weekend was good and your week has started well.  Sorry I’m not around much at the moment – it’s the usual issue and crafting is taking me a lot longer than usual.  However, I think that sometimes it is worth the wait and that is why I’m here today.  I have been playing with my Imagination Crafts stash.  The plaque, stencil and some of the paints are from Imagination Crafts and, to be honest, I L.O.V.E. I.T., in fact DH loves this too so here it is …

Without the insert
With the insert 
It has some depth 
The top embellishments. 
I love these flowers 
 
Such a cutie! 
 
My favourite flower mould. 
I finally got to use one of the rub ons!
I am very chuffed with how this turned out.

Created for me and especially for these Challenges:
A big lesson I’ve learnt since starting out on my mixed media journey is to take my time.  It takes me time to create something I like and/or love.  If I rush it I rarely like it and that fact is especially true of this plaque.  I’m trying to be more patient, taking my time, letting things dry naturally and seeing how it looks when it’s dry before throwing anything else at it. 
After trying out two different colours and not liking either of them, I took time to figure out what I wanted to create before colouring it again.  I wanted to create something that had the  shabby vintage look and I think I managed that (I know you lovely peeps will let me know if I did or didn’t).
After the disaster with the dark blue colour that I started with (thank goodness for white gesso) I decided that I wanted a beautiful soft blue and I knew that the IC silkies paint would be perfect.  So once the white gesso was dry I covered the plaque with blue silkies paint using a sponge and left it to dry overnight.
I knew I wanted the plaque to have lots of textures so I attached an IC stencil and added the modelling medium with a pallette knife.  I removed the stencil, scrapped off any excess and put it into a sellable pot before washing the stencil and the knife at the kitchen sink and left to dry overnight, just in case lol!  The next day I applied a second coat of IC silkies paint and popped the plaque to one side, approx. thirty minutes.  I grabbed my acrylic media and dabbed along the outside edges and left it for approx. fifteen minutes before using a baby wipe to remove some of the buff paint because I wanted a naturally distressed look.  Once again I left it overnight before re-attaching the IC stencil and adding Diamond Sparkle Medium with ink blending foam on top of the dry modelling medium.  I loved it but felt it was missing something and I wasn’t comfortable about just throwing stuff at it so once again I left it overnight.  The next day I die cut six branches from snippets and glued three of each together.  Once dry I used brown acrylic paint to colour the top and sides of the branches.  The bird was moulded from chocolate brown clay so using a dry brush I coloured him with blue, buff, and yellow acrylic paint, the flowers were white so I used a little pink to colour the cherry blossoms and red to colour the details.  I took my time to figure out the layout that I liked and then glued it all down.  Whilst photographing the piece I added a vintage rub on to a piece of card and put that behind the aperture – it may not stay there – but it didn’t look right without it!
If you stayed completely with me – thank you so very much.  I thought you might be interested in how I got the end result with you all.  
Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do this week  ttfn Karen x

                     



Tools:
Imagination Crafts Stencil
Martha Stewart moulds
Cuttlebug die cutting machine; Memory Box branch die
Pallette knife; pot of water; paintbrushes

Stash:
Imagination Crafts MDF frame; snippets of card for die cutting; snippet of card for the vintage rub on
Colours: Imagination Crafts: Turquoise Silkies paint; Diamond Sparkle Medium
DecoArt Mixed Media Fluid: Buff; Brown; Primary Yellow
Embellishments: air dry clay; La Blanche rub on #
Glues: Collall all purpose glue; Collall 3D glue gel medium

# VOS: 8+ years old

8 comments:

Carol said...

This is stunning Karen...I love, love, love what you've done with it. The vintage rub on is perfect in the frame. Carol x
PS Thanks for joining us at Imaginations Crafts too. x

rachel said...

Hiya Karen - this is absolutely beautiful hun - no wonder you're pleased with it! gorgeous - so pleased you joined us at Imagination Crafts Challenged as well this month and good luck xx

Marleen Gallagher said...

OMG this is stunning. really beautiful. Thank you for joining us over on Imagination Crafts.
Marleen DT xx

massofhair said...

LOVING your plaque Karen, a CAS yet detailed background with a small amount of embellishments.

One of the things i often see is too many embellishments thrown onto a project, you have got the perfect amount.

You should be so very proud of your ArT :-) xxx

Alex H. said...

What a wonderful frame... looks a lot like spring, I really like it. Thanks for joining us at Stempelgarten challenge!
;-) Alex H.

Alex H. said...

What a wonderful frame... looks a lot like spring, I really like it. Thanks for joining us at Stempelgarten challenge!
;-) Alex H.

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful frame and the flowers and bird are so cool for texture. I love what you said about waiting. I find that I have five projects on going as you start and have to let it dry so I move onto another one. Very messy and chaotic but helps with the end result. Thanks for playing along with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

Aoutienne said...

Wow, what a wunderful idea! The frame looks absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for joining the Stempelgarten Challenge.
Anja