Monday, 23 February 2015

Drips, drops, alphabets, butterflies and snippets ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your weekend was good and your week has started well.  I have three new followers for this mixed media journey and I want to welcome Claire, Shilpa and Kerry – I hope you will like what you see here because I’m having a lot of fun!
I got to have a little with stamps, stencils, inks and paints this weekend and it felt so very good.  When I started to decorate the paper I knew I wanted to push myself a little further than I normally would by adding more ink and paint than usual and I did that and I love the end  result too.  Considering how this paper looked when I started I’m actually quite proud of the fact that I didn’t bin it and just pushed through to make a gorgeous bright page for my journal.  Anyways enough of my waffle here is what I have to share with you today …

The double page spread and this is the end result of using stencils, Gelatos and lots of inky mica sprays
  
I got to use up a lot of snippets 
The bottom half 
A different view
A final look

Created for me and especially for these Challenges

The paper started life as a mop up sheet from me using too much water during my first play with my Crafters Companion Aquatints after Christmas.  I was adding colour to some card when I realised that there was too much water on my non stick craft mat.  I grabbed the closest paper that I could and mopped/blotted the tinted water to stop it dripping onto the floor.  I put the sheets to one side and forgot about them. 
I found them again last week whilst sorting some stash.  Below is a photograph of how this sheet started out.  I hadn’t planned to use these sheets and originally thought they would be re-cycled but something about the ink colours and the way they spread appealed to me and I had a ‘what if moment’.  I let go of worry and expectation and followed my heart adding ink and paint, grabbing a stencil, masking tape, Gelatos, water and finally a script stamp and Distress ink and heat set it.  I grabbed two old bottles of red and green mica sprays and added those to the sheet and sprayed some water and held it up to drip down the sheet.  I grabbed my water spray and blended it out a little.  Some of the ink started to go muddy so I grabbed a baby wipe and mopped it up.  Finally I heat set it and put to one side.  I thought I was going to use this for a card and an A5 journal page so I cut it up.  Then I thought I want a double page spread and stuck both sheets into my journal so that I get to keep it lol!  I grabbed some other snippets of inked paper and card and stamped butterflies and the sentiment, cut them out and stuck them in …

 
Before and after

I hope you like it as much as I do even if the colours aren’t your type.  I’ll be trying this again because I had so much fun and found it so very, very liberating too!  Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do this week ttfn Karen x






Tools:
Visible Image Revolution text stamp
Premium Art Brands: alphabet stencil
Papermania alphabet stamp set
WPlus9 Flora & Fauna 2 stamp set (butterfly)
Inspired by Stamping Australian Nature 1 stamp set (butterfly)
Heat gun; pot of water; paint brushes

Stash:
Card Paper: yellow pastel paper #; snippets paper and card for stamping butterflies and sentiment
Colours: Spectrum Noir Perfectly Primary Aquatints; Faber Castel Tropical Gelatos (pink and turquoise ones)
Distress Ink Pad: Salty Ocean; Red and Green shimmer sprays #
Glues: Cosmic Shimmer
Other: La Blanche rub on #

# very old stash + 8 years old so no longer sure if available to purchase

21 comments:

Carol said...

You've been having fun Karen...this is so bold and beautiful - I love it! Carol x

massofhair said...

It's all about play, having fun and learning which you have done in spades Karen. Brilliant pages, lots of great colours and layers :-) xxx

Sid said...

Great creative work, it looks fantastic !!

Ruth said...

Gorgeous journal page, love the background...beautiful. Thanks so much for joining us at ATP Exchange. Ruth x

Linda said...

Looks like someone had fun with their inks and paints .... great journal pages. Thank you for joining in with the Craft Stamper TIMI challenge ...... good luck! Linda xx

Doreen said...

Fabulous work,thanks for sharing with us at Country View.xxx

Sue said...

Hello Karen,
Fabulous Journal Page, so pleased you did not throw away the scrap paper and it was rescued. You should add it into the 'Visual Journey' link on my Blog,I think people would like to see this page.
Thanks for joining us this month at CVC.
Smiles:)
Sue

SARN said...

Stunning work Karen. Well done for pushing on and going outside your comfort zone to create these fabulous pages.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Anne Bente said...

wawwww så super flot ♥

10000 tak for at du deltager på Card and scraps udfordring.

knuzzzz ♥

Irene Chillman said...

Fantastic Journal page Karen, thank you so much for sharing with us at Vintage Stamping Challenge.
Irene xx

Tracy said...

Can tell you had joy when you created your pages Karen, thank you for joining us for Craft Stampers Take it Make it challenge xoxox

danisart said...

Fabulous Page and sooo colerful. Thanks for sharing at FSC!!!

Debbie said...

Beautiful! Love your background work! Thanks for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

Meihsia Liu said...

Your journal pages are so beautiful! Love the pretty background and butterflies. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

Donna B. said...

Gorgeous art journal pages! Love the pretty butterflies. Thanks so much for joining us at the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

Karen Crossen said...

Love it! I am glad you didn't 'bin' it!! I have a lot of those pages - thank you for the inspiration! And thank you for playing along with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

Astrid Maclean said...

What a beautiful make! I love how you put this together! Thanks so much for adding it to our challenge at Mixed Media Monthly and Countryview challenges!!

Rachel said...

beautiful page! the background blends so beautifully. Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!
-Rachel
rwkrafts.com

Gunn`s Kort said...

Such a beautiful work :)
Thanks for joining us at Card and Scrap.
Hugs, Gunn

Julia S-W said...

Beautiful colours and those butterflies are stunning! Thanks so much for joining us at ATP Exchange. Juliax

Laurart said...

Such a beautiful journal page! Thanks so much for joining us at Fashionable Stamping Challenges this time - Love from Laura xxx