Thursday, 12 February 2015

Mixed Media Tag Fun ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well.  I’ve another mixed media creation to share today.  
I tried something different and I loved the process and I love what I created too, lol.  It just goes to show that if I push myself I can push myself to get inkier/paintier/messier, anyhow, here it is …

 
A mixed media arch  
Lots of paints and mediums 
The flowers
A final look

Created for me and especially for these Challenges:

Below the supplies and tools lists is a quick description of what I did.  It took time but I learned a whole lot again.  I’m amazed, awed and surprised at what I can create with free/cheap/minimal ingredients.  I would love to have PaperArtsy Fresco's, all DecoArt media or TH paints, sprays and other but money doesn't allow and I didn’t think I could do MM techniques without the proper stash.
My thanks to the lovely Brenda because I won Brenda's recycling candy which was a trolley of stamps, some papers and card, and a set of The Works acrylic paints which I've used on my arch.  Roni and Rae have taught me that's not necessarily the case.  I’m learning how to use and adapt what I have.  I'm thankful for the ‘how to’ tutorials on Pinterest and YouTube too.  It's amazing the amount of stuff you can create yourself and that's important for me.  
Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do this week  ttfn Karen x



Tools:
Clearly Besotted Background Builders stamp set
Tim Holtz Layering Stencil: Wood Grain
Heat gun; pallette knife; pot of water; paintbrushes

Stash:
Card Paper: Cereal box card was used to create the arch and loads of old and unknown DP/PP snippets to cover the arch; snippet Crafters Companion Snow White Accent Centura Pearl card for the heart
Colours: The Works: gesso and acrylic pains in pink and red; Gold gouache #
WOW Embossing Powder: Copper Glitz
Dreamweaver Embossing Paste: Copper #
Embellishments: Wild Orchid Crafts flowers; DCWV monogram stickers; red grosgrain ribbon
Glues: Collall all purpose glue; foam pads

# VOS: old stash at least eight years or more old so no idea if it is still available to purchase


I cut out an arch shape using Ink Stain Roni’s template, see here.  I actually used two pieces of cereal box which I stuck together as I knew I was going to want to throw a lot of paint, ink and water at it.
I attached snippets of DP/PPs and as I knew I would be painting over them I used papers that I’m not keen on lol!  They add a little interest as you can tell that there is something there when you are holding the arch.
I used The Works white gesso, pink and red acrylic paint, again from The Works, which I diluted quite a lot with water – as I wanted to the embellishments to be the stars of the arch and not the background.  I painted//blended the gesso and pink and red paints and left it to dry (didn’t want the gesso to bubble so I didn’t use my heat gun).
When I was going through my old stash when we moved the rooms around I found a load of embellishments and stickers that I had forgotten about.  They are now on my desk in a box so that hopefully I’ll remember to use them lol! 
Once the paint was dry I attached the ‘love’ stickers.  It’s created with DCWV alphabet stickers that I distressed with pink, red, gold and black acrylic paints.
To my mind there wasn’t enough texture on the arch so I grabbed my Tim Holtz layering stencil and slapped Dreamweaver EP through it and left it to dry.
I grabbed a snippet of card and stamped and embossed my Clearly Besotted background builder stamp across it before colouring with red acrylic paint and once dry I cut it out by hand and added gold paint on the edges before sticking to the arch.  I grabbed a red grosgrain ribbon bow which had been on a shop bought Christmas card and added some gold paint to that before gluing in position on the heart.  I attached three pearly gems in the bottom right hand corner as I’d not positioned the stencil as securely as I should off.  I coloured the pearls with some of the red and fold acrylic once the glue had set.
The final step was to colour the ivory/white mulberry paper flowers with red and gold gouache.  Once dry they were attached to the tag and I was done!

10 comments:

massofhair said...

I use both Fresco Paints and the DecoArt products and have to say imho the DecoArt paints last longer and their crackle paint and paste are much better, you get a much better crackle than most other products. Downside they are not as easy to purchase as the PA products.

I would invest in a couple of colours from each of the ranges you like and test them for yourself as only you know how you would use them.

Stunning project, so many lovely layers and textures you have achieved on your heart. hope you are giving it to someone special :-) xxx

Carol said...

Wow Karen, you've done a wonderful job with your limited resources...this looks fabulous, so much texture and detail. Carol x

Renee said...

Very pretty! Thanks for joining us at the Take It Make It Challenge.

Sue said...

Hello Karen,
Gorgeous looking Arch, and I am so pleased that you had fun making it, I love the effect of your drips and thank you so much for joining us this month at CVC.
Smiles:)
Sue

Sandra said...

Wonderful piece! Love the colors along with the touches of gold! Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Happy Valentine's day! Hugs, Sandra

Sid said...

Wonderful colour and design ! I have also become your latest blog follower.

Mona Pendleton said...

So very pretty! Thanks for joining along with the Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge!

Linda said...

Fabulous!! Thanks for joining in with the TIMI challenge ..... good luck! Linda xx

Julia S-W said...

Wonderful texture and glowing colour - doesn't matter how you achieved it! Just proves that money doesn't have to be spent to show your talent.
Thanks for joining us at ATP Exchange for this challenge. Juliax

Jennie -The Artistic Stamper said...

Fab! Thank you for joining in The Artistic Stamper Creative Challenge this month x