Friday, 6 February 2015

My first February Tag ...

Hello my lovely friends and lovely visitors, I hope your week was good and you have fab plans for the weekend.  I have my first February Calendar page to show you today and here it is …

I made a mistake here but I was happy'ish' with this stage!

 
After I had added more red spray ink and the toppers! I love the finished result! 
I am in lurve with my Dina stamps - thank you Darnell!! I lurve them so much. 
A final look

Created for me and Especially for these Challenges


I am following the step by step February mixed media technique from the very talented Roni of Ink Stains.  Roni explained and photographed a new to me mixed media technique at the weekend and it’s called peeled paint.  I tried out the technique using DP and card snippets.
I’ve several sheets of card that I've used the peeled paint technique onto and you’ll see those pieces on my creations in the future.  So far I have two arch shape calendars/tags and three or four background or focal point on my cards, in my journal or on another creation. 
I really enjoyed the peeled paint technique and will be using it again.  Am added bonus was that I was able to use some VOS DP/card snippets and I tried out my home made paint sprays too – and they aren’t as bad as I feared they would be lol!
My DecoArt mixed media fluids and DecoArt gesso order arrived at the weekend.  I used those DecoArt mediums and cheaper acrylic paints on this.  
I wanted to see if the DecoArts mixed mediums were better than The Works acrylic paint. Unfortunately, for my purse, the DecoArt mixed media fluid acrylics and mediums are so much smoother, the colours pop and they blend beautifully too.  If I’m lucky enough to win a challenge or two this year I will be trying to get more of their products and I may ask DH for them for my birthday in June lol!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do this week  ttfn Karen x



Tools:
Inspiration Journal: Dina Wakley Scribbly Birds stamp set
Clearly Besotted Building Blocks stamp set
Tonic mini boot butterfly punch; heat gun; paintbrushes; pot of water

Stash:
Card Paper: cereal boxes (for the arch); snippets white card for the heart; snippets coloured papers for the butterflies; snippets Crafters Companion Kraft card (lurve it)

Colours: WOW Embossing Powder WS05 metallic copper sparkle
Tim Holtz Distress EP: Vintage Photo
DecoArt Mixed Media Fluid: Primary Red; Buff
Rub Ons/Waxes #
The Works Gesso & Acrylic Paint: blue; brown; red; white; yellow

Embellishments: HOTP stickers #
Glues: Collall all purpose glue; foam pads
Other: Versamark IP

# VOS + 5 years minimum 

27 comments:

Carol said...

Fabulous job Karen, love the colours and fabulous bird. Carol x

Bibi at Rubber Dance said...

Beautiful, Karen! I love the look of the very textured background!! Thank you so much for entering your work to our February challenge! :-)
xox

Tracy Freeman said...

Karen this is utterly beautiful, I have just sat staring at it for a good 10 mins, so much texture and lovelyness. xxx

TwinkleToes2day said...

A lovely arch shaped piece. The colours, patterns, textures and design all compliment each other so well. The wee bird is very sweet :o))

Fiona Spain said...

An excellent calendar tag.

Julie Ann Lee said...

Really enjoyed my visit. This is the first time I entered this challenge run by Rubber Dance. i loved your heart and the little robin. xx

Mona Pendleton said...

Wonderful project! The little bird looks darling! Thanks for joining along with the Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge!

Toni said...

What a great job on your calendar page... That little birdie is so darn cute !!!! And I love the background of the peeled paint effect. Great job ! Thanks for playing with us at Unruly PaperArts.

Ingrid Kristina V said...

Fab artwork, Karen! Love the texture on this gorgeous piece xx

Elaine said...

Great February page - love the background and robin!

Mary Ann Potter said...

Cute and country-flavored! Love the little bird and the gingham checks!

butterfliecrafter said...

Cute little birdie on a beautufil arch

SARN said...

Ooh . . . COOL . . . love this page Karen. Will check out the technique . . . sounds fun.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Helen Allen said...

Love that jolly little robin Karen! Thank you for playing along with the colour challenge over at Rubber Dance!

Ink Stained Roni said...

Love it Karen! Your little bird is darling and love the heart!

thassos456 said...

This is really lovely :)

Dawn Louise said...

Gorgeous really is. it's great to see you enter the craft barn challenge. something useful at the end and another round of enjoying your work. I nearly made a 2015 calendar instead of next year's, my brain didn't want to go that far. lol

Michele said...

gorgeous work! i love a bird with hearts and butterflies! i am visiting from unruly paper arts. xo

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A beautiful page, lovely little birdie.

Carol said...

Great page - love the bird Have a lovely sunday x

Katy Leitch said...

Totally love that background and the little birdie. Thanks for joining us at Rubber Dance!

Kelly Deal said...

Lovely Karen! I love the birdie!

Danie May said...

I love that Dina Wakely little birdie Karen and you have colored it wonderfully to combine with your Peeled Paint Background......Roni always has such wonderful techniques to share and if you keep learning from her you will be a master at Mixed Media in no time. Thanks for sharing this sweet page with us at Unruly for our Feb RAQ Challenge. Danie xx

Kezzy said...

Oh wow super stunning creation. Dina's birds are one of my favourite and she looks awesome on that background. Thank you for joining us at Unruly Paperarts this month. Happy Art :-) Kezzy xxx

Jane said...

Lovely Karen, what a sweet little Robin! Thank you for joining in the Challenge.
Jane x

maggie said...

The Robin is so sweet! A great page.

Majo said...

Lovely! Thank you for playing along in our challenge at Rubber Dance Stamps ♥