Sunday, 22 March 2015

Mixed Media Kingfisher Arch ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week was good and your weekend has had a good start.  Oh my goodness I picked up a lot of new Followers over the last week or so!  I want to welcome the following lovely ladies:

my lovely sister from another mother Helen
my lovely friends: Di (aka Pixie’s Snippets Challenge); Kate, Rocky, the very talented Debs (aka Zodiac Challenge), Annie, Eileen, Julie Ann, AJ Bodine 
my American friend: Darnell,
my new friends: Maryvonne, Ursula, and BSL 60 

I have another mixed media experiment to share with you today.  Am I making you all aware of how fun and enjoyment I am having right now lol?  I have quite a few projects on the go because of how long it talks the acrylic paint to dry.  I’ve tried drying the paint slowly with my heat gun but no matter what I do it bubbles, lol, so I’m taking my time and enjoying every step and process.  Today I’ve another arch to share with you and here it is …

The finished arch 
  
From left hand side was the first go which I wasn't happy with so out came the gesso again!
A final look - love the texture I achieved in the foreground!

Created for me and especially for these Challenges:

When I first started this journey I followed Ink Stain Roni’s step by step blog posts and I was terrified.  I know, I know it’s dumb but I really was terrified that I’d make something ugly or too primitive.  You told me to believe in myself, to trust and to experiment, to not worry what others thought.  You reminded me that this is about my journey and not care what others say or don’t say.  Thank you so much for that! 
I’ve still much to learn and a lot more to improve on but today’s arch was created because I wanted to create it.  I wanted to see what I would create with recycled card, recycled tissue paper, acrylic paints, a stamp, die cuts and really old flowers. 
Below are the step by steps of how I created this I’m trying to make my posts with a lot less waffle but I really do struggle to do that!

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do this weekend  ttfn Karen x





Tools:
Inspired by Stamping: Australian Nature 1 stamp set
Cuttlebug die cutting machine; Memory Box branch die
Pot of water; spray bottle of water; paintbrushes

Stash:
Card Paper: recycled cereal box to create arch; snippets white tissue paper to cover arch; snippets white card to stamp onto; snippets for die cutting

Colours: DecoArt Mixed Media Fluid: brown
DecoArt Americana Satin Finish Paints: vanilla shake; turquoise waters
Pebeo Acrylic Paints: green; white; yellow
Ranger Perfect Pearls: copper/rust shades were used to colour the kingfisher #
Felt tip markers/pens

Embellishments: Yellow flowers #
Glues: Cosmic Shimmer dries clear glue

# VOS + 5 years – not sure if still available to buy and I have no idea where the flowers came from



I’ve used this beautiful stamp on my card art creations and I can remember stamping and colouring him six or more times before creating one that I was happy to use on one of my cards.  That obsession I had to stamp and colour him/it ‘perfectly’ and that wasn’t good for me, so this time I did not allow myself to repeatedly stamp and colour until my kingfisher was as near to perfect as he could be. 

If he was not quite right I knew I could add more paint, colour, pen until I was happy with him and that’s exactly what I finally managed to do this time.

I cut up a cereal box to so that I could recycle it and created an arch, which I coloured with white acrylic paint and once dry I added a couple of layers of tissue paper and glue and allowed it to dry naturally.

When I went back to it I was happy to see that there was a textured surface so I started to paint grass, clouds and sky.  Again I left it to whilst I grabbed three card snippets to die cut the branch from.  I glued them together and painted a deep rich brown. 

I stamped and coloured the kingfisher onto white paper snippet in very soft colours before fussy cutting him and placing him on the arch.  

He looked okay but I wasn’t completely happy.  The arch was bland and I wanted much more oomph of colour and texture.  I had used green acrylic paint for the grass and it too looked very flat or dull. 

So I grabbed more colours of acrylic paint to make the kingfisher much richer in colour (BTW I ‘Googled’ photographs of Australian kingfishers and they are much the same as other kingfishers - many different colours).   I added more colour and detail to the beautiful stamped kingfisher.

Next I covered the grass with white acrylic before adding some yellow and two different shades of green.  I was able to add much more colour and texture the second time around and I was happy with the look. 


I may be wrong about this but I think the arch has much more depth because of using richer colours and this time I deliberately kept texture in the grass by not blending the colour out – I kept the strokes in some places and I think because of that the landscape looks much better.

17 comments:

massofhair said...

You never waffle Karen, i enjoy feeling like i'm in the same room crafting along with you, experiencing the ups and downs of 'Your Journey'...

Your blog posts are enjoyable and informative, don't change!

Gorgeous arch and branches and your kingfisher is a beautiful triumph. Thanks for the inspiration! :-) xxx

Becca Cruger said...

There is some amazing texture here! I'm sure he'll make you very happy for many days to come!

Bibi, Rubber Dance Stamps said...

Hi Karen! Thank you for entering our March challenge with your arch! Looks like you had a lot of fun here, and I agree with you - the grass do look good with the brush strokes! :)
xox

kaybee said...

Fabulous page - love all the different textures.

Carol said...

Another fabulous arch Karen, love all the texture you've created and you can see the dimension in the photos. Carol x

Elaine said...

A great March page and I love the kingfisher too!

Julie Wheatman said...

Another fab page, love the textures in this one.

Helen Allen said...

Lovely representation of Spring! Thank you for playing along with us over at Rubber Dance x

Mynn Kitchen said...

WOW, Karen! I am IN LOVE with this beautiful piece of art! I adore all the texture and your gorgeous coloring! Thanks for joining us at Inspired By Stamping! HUGS! :) Mynn xx

Donna B. said...

Beautiful arch! I'm loving all the texture and dimension you added. Thanks so much for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

Scrapmate said...

Another great arch with fabulous texture.

Jennie -The Artistic Stamper said...

Lovely! Thank you for joining in The Artistic Stamper Challenge

Susanne Rose said...

I love it! It's so so beautiful!

Susanne Rose said...

Thanks for joining us over at Rubber Dance Art Stamps this month!

Debbie said...

Beautiful! Love all of the texture. Thanks for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

Melanie said...

so pretty! thanks for playing with us at the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge Blog!

Rachel said...

love your arches and the bird is wonderful. Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!
-Rachel
rwkrafts.com