Wednesday, 4 March 2015

Spring has sprung with a mixed media heart ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well.  Today I have a decorated heart to share with you and here it is …

 
The front of the heart 
 
The stamped part and those gorgeous cherry blossoms! 

 
The other side 
 
Love that flower and bird! 
Side view - you can see the depth
A final look at the front 
And the back

Created for me and especially for these Challenges:


Back in January there was a blog hop at the Craft Stamper magazine which I took part in.  I was very, very lucky to win a box of substrates – yay – or as I call them blanks lol!  This is the first time I have tried altering one of those pieces and I was really nervous about doing so lol!  It actually took three attempts to get it to this stage – yep I learned an awful lot!  The heart is solid but I could not get a good stamped impression onto it (issues with my desk) so I grabbed some white tissue paper and stamped and coloured that.  My first attempt was awful – the stamped and coloured stems bled so much that I ended up with a mucky sludge green colour which I hated lol!  I added a couple of coats of DecoArt white gesso and that gave me a lovely blank white heart and I added another layer of tissue paper that had been stamped and coloured – result lol!
Unfortunately I forgot to photograph this as I was ‘decorating’ it – so I only have the finished photographs to show.  If anyone would like me to repeat the step by step techniques let me know and I’ll whip it a quick tutorial with lots of photographs.

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do this week/weekend  ttfn Karen x



Tools:
Crafters Companion Sheena Douglass stamp sets:
Martha Stewart bird mould
Heat gun; paintbrushes; pot of water

Stash:
Paper/Card: snippet inky card to stamp and emboss the flower onto three times; white tissue paper*

Colours: Spectrum Noir Perfectly Primary Aquatints; WOW EP: brass sparkle
DecoArt white gesso
DecoArt Mixed Media Fluid: buff; brown; primary yellow (to colour the bird)
Ranger Archival Green IP; colouring pencils; The Works white acrylic paint
Pebeo Cernes Relief Liner gold #

Embellishments: Wild Orchid Crafts: cherry blossoms & large rose

Glues: Maimeri Glossy Gel Medium

Other: Versamark IP; Heart Substrate # ; Fimo Light air dry clay


* the tissue paper came with an order – so I’m recycling it yay!
# no idea where you can purchase these

22 comments:

massofhair said...

Lucky you winning some substrates, that must have made you smile a LOT! Your heart looks fantastic, lots of textures and pinks :-) xxx

rachel said...

beautiful heart Karen - I do love the poppies and the bird is fabulous too! Wonderful make xx

Carol said...

Lovely to see your wins being put to good use Karen...lucky you :) Love what you've done here and yes you can't beat a bit of recycled tissue paper to save the day. Carol x

MaryH said...

Congrats on your win. It's easy to see you've put some of the supplies to most excellent use. Enjoyed reading about your adventures here, and your altered heart turned out splendidly. Altered art is something I can appreciate very much, but have never had the courage to try to tackle myself. I just love the flowers on this pretty piece, and you've done a super job with it. TFS & Hugs.

Mynn Kitchen said...

Such a pretty creation, Karen! LOVE all the bits and bobs--SO gorgeous! HUGS, friend! :) Mynn xx

cheryl Baker said...

oh this is really beautiful hun,bless you for playing at That Craft Place this week,love hugs Cherylxxxxx

Kelly Deal said...

Beautiful heart!

Sandra said...

Gorgeous hanging! Love that you did both sides! So pretty! Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

Sue said...

Wow Karen this is beautiful, I love that you decorated both sides of your fab hanging. Thank you so much for joining in with our challenge at Country View Crafts and have a great weekend. Sue xx

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Gorgeous texture with tissue paper, Karen, it looks awesome. I love your decoration with flowers and birds as well, very elegant.
Thanks so much for joining us at Artistic stamper this month.

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

I would like to say thanks for joining us at Unruly Paper Arts as well.

Donna B. said...

Such a pretty heart! It absolutely counts. Thanks for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

Danie May said...

Hi Karen firstly congrats on the win of the substrates you have used for your project today, it is just beautiful, and it is so easy to see you are enjoying your mixed media journey. Thanks so much for joining us at Unruly PaperArts for March. Danie xx

Lisa M said...

Lol...the deception of blogging. We can make anything look like we just pulled perfection out of the air, but in reality, we'll be soaking in paint thinner and soap for a week trying to get clean from the catastrophe of arting!! That is however, the fun part...being messy and learning. Your heart is just sensational with excellent depth and detail and colors. Thank you so much also for your very nice comment on my blog. It's been a pleasure visiting you!!
Hugs,
Lisa

cheiron said...

Such a gorgeous project with wonderful layering and texture. Thank you so much for playing along with us over at the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog this week :)

Toni said...

What a wonderful job you did in altering your hearts. I love the bird you used for one of them. Thank you for creating with us at Unruly PaperArts

Astrid Maclean said...

Stunning make, love the colours and how you put it all together! Thanks so much for joining us at Mixed Media Monthly and Countryview Crafts!

Rachel Gillham said...

love your gorgeous mixed media heart... love the blossom, it is one of my favourite things! thank you for joining us at that craft place! Rachel, TCP DT

Clare Lloyd said...

Beautiful project. thanks for joining the RAQ at Unruly PaperArts.

Karen Crossen said...

Love, love, love Cherry blossoms - this is a beautiful project! Thank you so much for playing along with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

Claire said...

Fabulous make Karen! Love it! Thanks so much for joining us at Eclectic Ellapu this month
Claire xx

Rachel said...

such a beautiful piece for your home! i love the shimmer and shine on your flower. Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!
-Rachel
rwkrafts.com