Monday, 6 April 2015

Mixed media with a sketch? Could I do it ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope you are having a lovely Easter weekend – it’s gone a little too quick but hey ho on-wards and upwards.  Today’s creation is, of course, all about the post title.  I wanted to see if I could follow a sketch but on a canvas instead of a card.  
Before I started creating the pages and the canvas I took a little trip around blogland for inspiration and to see what the challenges are/were.  The IBS sketch and colours appealed, next I saw the Scrap Around the World challenge, over at PaperArtsy the current Topic, #6, is Grunge or embossing paste, Frilly & Funkie have an add a ribbon to your creation, That’s Crafty is gold and silver both of which were used to create both masterboards, The Mirror Crack’d is masterboards and I just saw the Simon Says Stamps A for animals!
Sadly I don’t own Grunge Paste yet so I decided to see if I could combine elements from all of the challenges to create something that DH and I would like or, possibly, love.  I had a lot of fun creating each of these elements and here is the finished canvas …
 
An 8" x 10" canvas 
  
You can see all the card/paper/elements I created   
I love this stamp set - so versatile! 
 
The gorgeous butterflies
I do love vintage seam binding!
 
Feels good to be using up some of my old embellishments and ribbons 
I wish I'd photographed this before cutting it up! 
He is a real beauty!
A final look

Created for these Challenges and for DH & me:

Sketch, twine and I used the colours plus a few more

I don’t have PA paste so I've distressed Dreamweaver paste
I was inspired by the turquoise and the colour & texture of a beach
I've not seen the sea in a long time and your board especially appealed to me



I created a masterboard with embossing paste, pallette knife, plastic fork and different embossing powders but I didn’t photograph it before chopping it up!  I spread embossing paste over a 6”x12” card which was from the back of a paper stack and I used a pallette knife to apply it and a disposable plastic fork to create a pattern/texture.  I added four different colours of WOW EP and put it to one side to dry.  I actually used up three WOW EP bottles that were only about 1/6 full so that’s 3 bottles I don’t need to find a home for lol, just got to use up the other six next lol!  I left it overnight to dry because I know from experience that the embossing paste bubbles if you heat it immediately and I wanted to keep as much of the awesome texture as possible.


An A4 masterboard
The photograph above shows the second masterboard I created and, funnily enough, I regularly create a masterboard.  I am a bit of a klutz when I have ink or paint on my fingers so if I have a grubby piece of A4 card with rough or tattered edges I turn it into a masterboard.  You can see in the photograph that I applied the gesso quite thickly because I was experimenting with texture.  Once the gesso was dry I started to add colour with Americana satin finish acrylic paints; Perfect Pearls (have a few colours I have owned for a long time that I’m trying to use up); Maimeri glossy gel; metallic acrylic paints and a pallette knife. 

I found an old canvas board which I had previously painted with white pearl, no idea what paint I used because this is a canvas I found when we moved my crafting room around.  I grabbed my Dutch Doobadoo stencil and attached it to the board with Washi tape.  I sponged blue acrylic paint through the stencil using Cut N Dry foam and put to one side (because I used the sponge it dried really quickly).

I stamped the kingfisher onto a good size piece of pearly white card and the butterflies onto snippets.  The kingfisher was further stamped onto snippets so that I could decoupage him (there are three layers of the bird).  I coloured the sky background around the kingfisher, the kingfisher and the butterflies.  Once all was dry I fussy cut the kingfisher and butterflies and started to play with some really old bits and pieces from my stash. 

DH loves it and I am, unusually, very happy with it too lol!  Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do this week  ttfn Karen x





Tools:
Stamp
Inspired by Stamping Australian Nature 1 stamp set
Dutch Doobadoo Mosaic stencil
Cuttlebug die cutting machine; Sizzix Sizzlets tag die #
Ranger Cut and Dry Foam
Heat gun; paint brushes; post of water; pallette knife; disposable plastic fork

Stash:
Snippets/Base/Card:
8” x 10” canvas board #
A4 and 6” x 12” card to create masterboard (6”x12” was back board from a pad of paper)
White pearl card snippets for stamping and colouring

Colours:
Crafters Companion: Pebeo Deco Matt Acrylic paint: #106 blueberry
That’s Crafty online shop: DecoArt Americana Satin Acrylic Paints: turquoise waters; vanilla shake; flamingo pink
That’s Crafty online shop:  DecoArt white gesso
Imagination Crafts Silkie Paints: turquoise satin; white
WOW EP glitter: WS01 black twinkle; WS04 blue glitz; WS06 pearl gold sparkle; WS07 metallic gold rich; WS52 vintage romance
The Works Crawford & Black acrylic paints: ultramarine blue; copper; gold; rose; silver
Dreamweaver Embossing paste: Copper #

Embellishments:
Ribbon Girl: twine; Limoges Blue vintage style seam binding; vintage silver Crown charm *
Butterfly beads #

Adhesives/Mediums/Other:
That’s Crafty online shop – DecoArt white gesso
Maimerri Glossy Gel Medium
Crafters Companion Collall: all purpose glue; 3D glue gel


# all of these items are very old stash and I have no idea where they came from or how long I’ve owned them – I think they are at least eight years old!

* The Ribbon Girl online shop but I can’t find these crowns on their website

23 comments:

rachel said...

this is lovely Karen - all the different elements are fabulous - it looks great! Hugs Rachel x

Carol said...

A beautiful canvas Karen, looks like you've been having fun. Carol x

Becca Cruger said...

My goodness all the texture and the glittery elements here are fantastic! This is sheer gorgeousness on a card!

Julie Ann Lee said...

Such a beautiful and intricate canvas, Karen, with fantastic texture. I love it.

SARN said...

Brilliant! Just brilliant! You can do ANYTHING oh talented one!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Diane said...

Lovely mixed medium design, textures and colors.

Hugs Diane

massofhair said...

Wonderful Master Board, loving the textures and the colours very much. Your canvas is just exquisite :-) xxx

Arantzazu said...

So Fab Mixed media!!!
Love all the beauty details!!!
Thanks for playing with us at SATW!
Xoxo

Sara Barker said...

Very good use of many different mediums for a fantastic outcome! I love the masterboard! Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving your comment about my Easter eggs!

langeatheart said...

Your canvas is beautiful! I love all the textures and your background! In order to be eligible for our contest you must also include a photo of our Mood Board in you post. Please add this as soon as possible. It would be a tragedy if you missed out because of this. All the best from SATW! :)

Sandra said...

Wonderful card! Love all the little embellies! Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

lisa808 said...

So impressive! What a gorgeous piece of artwork. Thank you for joining and sharing with us at IBS!

Shilpa Nagaonkar said...

Beautiful creation, Karen.Lovely texture with embossing and layering.
Thanks for joining us at Scrap Around The World and The Mirror Cracked Challenge this month.

Buttons said...

This is such a great card Karen with wonderful layers and textures. Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

Sue C said...

Fabulous project Karen! Love the kingfisher and the collage style you've used. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Sue C x

Pascale B. said...

Beautiful project! Thank you for joining the SATW challenge, but please don't forget to add the Mood Board !

Fiona Paltridge said...

Brilliant canvas!! Thank you for joining us over at SATW xx

Angela Radford said...

Great finished piece with lots of lovely detail. Thanks for joining in the challenge at The Mirror Crack'd and happy crafting, Angela x

Nicole Wright said...

Wow, great canvas! Thank you for sharing with us at Frilly and Funkie

Hera said...

What a beatiful and rich canvas! Love the texture, colors and the sweet elemments! Thanks so much for inspiring us at SATW!

Mynn Kitchen said...

What a gorgeous creation, Karen! LOVE all the texture and soft colors! Thanks for joining us at Inspired By Stamping! :) HUGS! :) Mynn xx

Heather McMahon said...

Wow - this is so clever! Thanks for playing along at SATW.

Wanda Hentges said...

A wonderful project!!!!