Friday, 22 May 2015

A double page spread for my inky journal ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week was good.  It’s the weekend again!  I have been playing in my inky journal over the last week.  I’ve more projects on the go but I can’t share them yet lol!  It’s Art It Friday over at Kim’s blog and I’ve a post for that later on today.  For now here is the double page spread that I created with my Spectrum Noir AquaTints, Sheena’s A5 Flower Power stamp set, Visible Image grunge flourish and text stamp and my whimsical sketched ladies …


It's an A5 journal - and I've only just had the idea to use some of sketched ladies in here! 
  
I am so relieved to see that you can see the ghosting effect with the old ink pads! 
I was so happy when I won a set of sentiment stamps from Visible Image 
 
I got to choose the stamp set and I knew that they would be good stamps for journalling
A final look

Created for me and especially for these Challenges:
Mixed Media Monthly Challenge #12 May Flowers
Simon Says Stamps Monday Challenge XYZyellow flowers & journal the letter Y:
you will never know unless you try (one of my favourite phrases)


I’m trying to foster the habit of journaling at least once a week in my inky journal and experimenting with BGs for those journal pages too.  For this BG I light sprayed an A4 sheet of Centura Pearl card with water so that it was damp but not soaking or dripping wet.  I used two pipettes to drop the two shades of AquaTints blue ink onto the card to create puddles.  I picked the card up and twisted and turned until it was covered and blended.  Once I was happy with that I added more of the darker blue ink here and there and put it aside to dry.

Once dry I looked around my desk for stamps and inspiration.  I saw the small practice sketches and the IPs I'm trying to remember to use before the completely dry out.  I wanted to see if I could incorporate my inky BG, stamping and my little practice sketches.  I used the old IPs and stamps to see how it would look.  I always figured I could cover it up if it didn’t work.

The BG has a wonderful ghostly, aged or distressed background.  I used the sentiment stamp with chalky white ink repeatedly and stamped over that with the grunge flourish stamp in gold.  The end result is gorgeous!  It’s also another technique I want to remember and do again in the future.   

I had flowers and coloured card left over from my cardboard canvas and sketched lady project that I shared (see here) and I decided to use some of them to adorn my little sketched ladies.  The smaller flowers were created with the solid small flower stamps that are in the stamp set.  I stamped and embossed them on snippets of card that were coloured with the AquaTints.

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do this weekend  ttfn Karen x






Tools
Book: Drawing and Painting Beautiful Faces by Jane Davenport
Stamp: Sheena Douglass A5 A Little Bit Sketchy stamp set: Flower Power
Visible Image: Grunge Flourish stamp; Never Grow Up stamp set
Miscellaneous Tools: paint brushes; pot of water; pipettes for inks; heat gun

Stash
Card Paper: Crafters Companion Centura Pearl Card: snippets for the flowers; and A4 sheet for background; white paper for sketching
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours: Spectrum Noir Perfectly Primary AquaTints; HB water soluble pencil; old Dew Drop ink pads; Versamark IP; clear detail EP
Adhesives/Mediums: Collall all purpose glue


6 comments:

Carol said...

Your gorgeous inked and stamped background is the perfect backdrop for your drawings Karen, love the ghosting effect. Carol x

SARN said...

These pages are terrific Karen. Thanks for sharing how you made them.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Andrea Ockey Parr said...

Wow! I really am so impressed with your inking techniques and how you've blended them so beautifully! There are darker splotches and lighter splotches and it creates a stunning effect. I also love, love, LOVE to see sketching incorporated into art, so kudos to you on that, too! The flowers add a great dimensional element and you're right: the sentiment is a powerful one that we all need to remember. Thanks so much for sharing this with us for this week's Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

Debs said...

Lovely page Karen thanks for joining us at The Artistic Stamper

Lynn K said...

Such fun art journal pages. Love your girls! Thanks for joining us in this month's Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.
http://www.lynnkopas.blogpot.com

Donna B. said...

Love all your faces! Thanks for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.