Friday, 15 May 2015

Art it Friday ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week was good and you have fab weekend plans, it’s going to be a quiet one for us this weekend which is exactly what we both need, lol!  Okay it’s Friday which means it’s Art It Friday link up at Kim Dellow lovely blog.  
Anyways here is what I’d love to link up today …

I’m using an A4 sketch pad and this took up the whole page:
there are quite a few of these in my pad

I’m experimenting a lot with the hair on my ladies right now

I don’t think I’ve mentioned this fact before, but if I’m repeating it huge apologies, when I first started drawing these faces in January I used the whole sheet of A4 paper and because I’m like a dog with a bone when learning something new, whenever I had a few spare minutes I would draw.  Drawing A4 size became very comfortable.

So this week I have been pushing myself to draw smaller lovely faces – and it feels like I’m back at the beginning of the learning process again, lol.  I’m also trying to draw faces in side profile or not quite straight on and they are very peculiar to say the least lol!  Anyways here are my attempts of trying to draw smaller ladies …


This sketch is about 20cm square:
It is a step by step, slow slowly process for me to do these


Then I managed to get down to two on a page:
two at A5 size and they look a bit mean too lol!


My final sketching practice to share today:
four to an A4 page which took a lot of work and created several odd lookers lol!


I want to join the link here


As per usual it has become a bit of an obsession for me; I try to sketch four faces minimum per day.  I have an awful fear that one day I’m going to wake up and realise it is a dream and that I can’t draw them and that is what keeps me practicing.  If I’m up to it I draw four a day but I’ve found out recently that it triggers headaches and migraine that I suffer because of fibro and CFS issues.  It’s a balancing act for me: I’m on tight rope trying to keep my balance and keep going so that I don’t stop or give up versus pushing myself too far.

I do love the hair on the bottom right sketch and I will do more of that in the future.  I’ve also learnt a couple of new tricks this week which will help me to create the smaller faces and I learnt them through practice and stubbornness!

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do this coming weekend  ttfn Karen x






Stash
The Works A4 sketch journal
Various pencils and an eraser


12 comments:

Carol said...

You're doing a fabulous job Karen...I love the 3rd one down, her hair looks fabulous. I wouldn't know where to start! Carol x

Julie Ann Lee said...

Great work Karen. It's lovely that you're learning so much and creating such beautiful work. I know just what you mean about obsession: my family are always teasing me about how once I start a project I just won't stop. xxx

Inky and Quirky said...

Oh all your faces are lovely Karen, I especially love the first one,she's soooo pretty :)
Have a fab weekend
Big hugs
Donna xxx

massofhair said...

Hi Karen your faces are fantastic, try doing just one a day. I know it's all that i can do before hands give up & concentration starts to go. I have been wanting to try different sized faces for a while, today was my first A4, normally mine are A5 or A6.

I appreciate you sharing all your faces, sounds and looks like we are on a similar drawing path.

Take care and enjoy your weekend Hunni:-) xxx

rachel said...

these are great Karen and \i really admire your staying power and balancing acts - you're such a strong lady! Hugs rachel x

Deborah Wainwright said...

They say practice makes perfect Karen but in my experience you can throw perfect in the bin. Let your ladies draw themselves, each will have their own personality and that comes in all shapes and sizes. I guess what I'm saying your faces are beautiful. Enjoy the process whether it's drawing one or four :) xx

Kim Dellow said...

They are wonderful Karen, I'm so glad you are as obsessed as me and that you are sharing them over at Art It Friday - Show Your Face, thank you and thanks for the shout out too. I'm looking forward to seeing more. Hope you have a good week. Kx

SARN said...

Hi Karen . . . I completely concur with Deborah Wainwright's comment!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Pamellia Johnson said...

Wow Karen, well done! These are fabulous, the eyes and hair look amazing!! hugs :)

Michellem said...

I can totally understand your desire to draw faces- it is therapeutic for me and an enjoyable way to spend any free time. Keep up the good work!

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

Fabulous sketches, Karen.

Love and hugs
Maarit

Kelly Deal said...

You're doing great work Karen!