Saturday, 9 May 2015

Playing with stamps, ink and paint in my journal, part one

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week was good and your weekend has started well.  When I saw some of this month’s challenges I had a bit of a shock and a surprising revelation.  I have not played in my journal since March.  How did that happen?!  
Then I remembered I’ve been drawing in my A4 journal and haven’t played in my little journal.  I decided to immediately change and this week I have done a little sketching and some journaling too. 
On my first page I upcycled an ugly background sheet that I was not happy with.  I was, again, experimenting with the products I own and I’m really happy with the end result of the background paper.  I had used an A3 sheet of paper to mop up overflowing ink and water.    This sheet was coloured yellow, pink, orange from overflowing ink and red splatters from a spray ink.  Once dry I took my Pro-Markers and a Dutch Doobadoo stencil colouring in some areas, but not all and I hated it, lol.  I thickly layered white acrylic paint onto the sheet making sure that none of the design or colour was showing before adding purple acrylic paint, Perfect Pearls and glitter.  This is the first journal page I have to share with you today …

   
The final page and with no edges 
These bird stamps are fabulous! 
You can see the over stamping with the script stamp and that gorgeous butterfly!
A final look - love the stamps, colours and texture!

Created for me and especially for these Challenges:


Take one was the purple textured background paper started off as a sheet of a mellow yellow paper that was used to mop up too much ink, spray inks and water (I’m heavy handed).  After it had dried I used a pen and a 12” square Dutch Doobadoo stencil to pick up and colour some areas of the stencil but not all and I hated the end result.
Take two was to cover the sheet with a thick coat of white acrylic paint so that the area was covered and I wanted the sheet to have texture.  Next step, once dry I used purple acrylic paint, Perfect Pearls and glitter to colour and left to dry.
Next step I used a Steampunk clock stencil and sprayed ink through (yes I had to mop up after that too!), and I removed some ink with a baby wipe as the colour was too bold and overpowering.  
Next step once dry I tore off part and used a script stamp to over stamp with an Adirondack IP and I heat set the inks.  I put it to one side whilst I stamped and embossed some birds and butterflies and I coloured them with my Aquarelle watercolour pencils – love them and I love the background! 
I want to try the background technique again and next time I’ll photograph it step by step so I’ve a visual reference for me.  DH had asked what I was working on at the moment and after having a chat we came up with some more ideas and experiments for me to try.  He’s an angel where my arts and crafts are concerned and regularly encourages and helps with ideas.  I know I’m very lucky as not everyone is like this.

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment, I will be back tomorrow with another A5 page which was a lot of fun to do too.  It’s been a while since I did some single A5 pages and I enjoyed it.  However I am in the middle of doing a double page spread and hope to share that with you soon!  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do this weekend  ttfn Karen x



Tools
Stamp: The Artistic Stamper: Neil Walker A6 Birdz stamp set
Inspired by Stamping: Butterflies stamp set; Visible Image: Revolution stamp set (script)
Stencil: Splodgeaway 8” square Steampunk Clock stencil *
Miscellaneous Tools: heat gun; paint brushes; pot of water; pallette knife

Stash
Card Paper: snippets card, paper and vellum for stamping, stencilling and experimenting
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours: Faber-Castell Aquarelles watercolour pencils
The Works acrylic paints; WOW EP: WC05 metallic silver EP
I mixed Perfect Pearls and some glitter onto the acrylic paint whilst it was still wet
Adhesives/Mediums: Collall all purpose glue; Versamark IP


# VOS: 5 years minimum old and no idea if still available to purchased or where from

* I won this mask from another blogger and have checked Splodgeaway On-Line shop and it doesn’t appear to be available any more


12 comments:

Becca Cruger said...

Isn't it fun just playing around in a journal? It seems like so much less pressure! Yours has such cool colors and I love those funky birds!

Carol said...

Love this Karen...gorgeous colours and those funky birds look fabulous. I need to get some journalling done too! Carol x

rachel said...

this is wonderful Karen - those stamps are lovely - they should be enroute to me right now - I was lucky enough to win on Artistic stamper last month and they're part of the prize I chose! Big hugs to you! Rachel x

massofhair said...

Neil's birds are very funky and playful and look fantastic on your small journal page. Some fab colours you have played with. Hope you get more time to play :-) xxx

Bibi, Rubber Dance Stamps said...

Great use of our colour scheme this month, Karen! Thos birds are super cool! Your background is lovely and I really like the torn edges. Thank you so much for entering our colour challenge for May! :-)

Craftyfield said...

Lovely colours for this page! Thanks for joining us at the Vintage Stamping Challenge this month.

SARN said...

Hi Karen . . . lovely journal pages here . . . off to read Pt 2 in a second.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Jaine Drake said...

Very pretty. Thank you for joining in with our challenge at ASOI this time.

Dee Adams said...

Hi Karen I love what you have done with Neils birdz stamps on your journal page. Thank you for joining in with us over at the Artistic Stamper. x

Helen Allen said...

Love this fun page - those birds are cute! well done for rescuing a page you weren't fond of! Thank you for playing along with us over at Rubber Dance X

Shirley Chillman said...

I was lucky enough to attend a class with Neil and I love how you have used his stamps Karen.

Thank you for sharing with us at Vintage Stamping Challenges.

Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
ShirlsCards.

Susanne Rose said...

Superb!!! Great work.Thanks for joining our challenge over at Rubber Dance! Hugs, Susanne.