Tuesday, 19 May 2015

She wears flowers in her hair ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well!  Been MIA for a few days but for me it was worth it lol! 
Today I’m sharing with you an idea that I have had for quite a long time.  However it was out of my reach because I couldn't ‘draw’ lol and didn’t have the stamps.  So when I started out sketching earlier this year I was really hoping that at some point I would be able to create this or something similar.  As per usual I have become a little bit obsessed but I really do think it is worth it and here it is …

  
The whole piece is about UK A4 in size and I'm happy with the end result 
I love this flower stamp
I need to practise the eyes and the lips: they are a little too big  
 

You will be seeing these flowers again soon.

Created for me and especially for these Challenges:

the flowers, the pink and the deep blue of the ocean, because of the sand in the background of the ice cream and the cone I was inspired to use cardboard as my base layer.



A lot of different processes and techniques went into creating this hanging.  It took me time to create too: it’s why I’ve been MIA for more than a week.  I wasn’t sure if I was going to like the end result so I decided to experiment with cardboard rather than a canvas.  The cardboard I used for this was a 300mm square paper delivery – one of those pizza type boxes lol!
I wanted to create a hanging for several of the current challenges so I used my Spectrum Noir AquaTints.  The pizza box was from an old order for scrapbooking paper and I have, in the past, used it as my spraying station for inks.  It had a lovely shimmer to it but the brown was still very visible so I put white acrylic paint into my pallette and added the #12 colour from my set (it is a gorgeous red colour).  I covered the cardboard with a couple of layers of my tinted paint and left it to dry.  Once dry I added a thin layer of PVA in some areas and over painted that with a much paler shade of pink and I left it to dry.   Once happy I attached a stencil and randomly inked it and adding glitter EP which I the heated to emboss.  I put this aside whilst I worked on the rest.
I retrieved my bag of white Centura Pearl Snow White card snippets and coloured those with #11 red and the #34 egg yolk yellow.  Once dry I stamped multiple sizes of the open flowers and fussy cut them out.  I layered them on top of each other and once the glue dried I shaped them to give them depth.
I drew the face with my watercolour pencils onto Centura Pearl Snow White Accents and I coloured her with very watered down AquaTints.  Once all the pieces were ready I started playing with stamped bits, acrylic gem bits, ribbon and some old butterfly embellishments.
This project came about because of several girl stamp images who had flowers and butterflies in their hair.  I really loved the look and because of winning the sketching book, Jane Davenport’s Drawing Whimsical Faces, my idea blossomed, lol, sorry but I really couldn't miss out on that pun lol!

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do this week  ttfn Karen x





Tools
Stamp: Sheena Douglass A5 A Little Bit Sketchy stamp set: Flower Power
Stencil: Premium Art Brands 305mm square Spiral Characters stencil
Miscellaneous Tools: Heat gun; paint brushes; pot of water; pallette; pipettes for inks

Stash
Card Paper: Crafters Companion Centura Pearl Card: snippets for the flowers; and a piece for drawing; cardboard box
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours: Spectrum Noir Perfectly Primary AquaTints; Faber-Castell Watercolour Pencils; The Works Crawford & Black white acrylic paint; WOW Platinum Sparkle EP; Versamark IP
Embellishments: Wild Orchid Crafts rose buds; Hobbycraft: butterflies and crystal stem; acrylic cabochons; ribbon
Adhesives/Mediums: Collall all purpose glue; really cheap PVA glue


13 comments:

langeatheart said...

I am so glad you were inspired to give our challenge a go Karen! You did an awesome job with this! Challenges are meant to pull us out of our comfort zones and you did a fantastic job of coming out of yours! All the best from Scrap Around the World! :)

Nicole Doiron said...

You did an excellent job!! Thank you for celebrating this special event with us at Scrap Around the World!

Carol said...

You've done a fabulous job Karen, love the background and the pretty flowers. Your drawing is coming along nicely...I wouldn't know where to start! Carol x

rachel said...

this is wonderful Karen - her hair is just perfect and i adore the flowers - brilliant work! Big hugs rachel x

Brenda said...

Wow Karen, this is amazing! And to think you used a pizza box is even more amazing to me! I love your drawing and I love those beautiful flowers. Such a great wall hanging!! Are you going to do it again on canvas?? I am loving the pizza box version. It has so much texture to it. lol Hugs, Brenda

jelissa mei said...

this is amazing! now i can't draw to save my life so seeing how you have put your doll together is really inspiring. wonderful take on our mood board too. thanks for joining us at SATW!

Helen Tilbury said...

CUTE project!! Thanks for playing with us at SATW for our Epic Event!

Ellie Knol said...

LOVE the beautiful stamping ! Thanks for joining in the TIMI challenge at the Craft Stamper!
xxx Ellie xxx

Татьяна said...

Beautiful!!!!
Thanks for playing with us at SATW!

Pascale B. said...

Great work, your canvas is fantastic!! Thank you for joining the SATW challenge!

Melanie said...

nice project. Thanks for playing along with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge Blog!

Lynn K said...

Great mixed media project. Love all the flowers you incorporated! Thanks for joining us in this month's Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.
http://www.lynnkopas.blogspot.com

Donna B. said...

What a pretty wall hanging! Thanks for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.