Wednesday, 8 July 2015

Summertime ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week going well!  Whenever I type the word summertime I got to Gershwin’s Porgy and Bess, sung by Ella Fitzgerald, and I sing it every single time, my OH laughs at me but I tell him off for turning me into a geek girl who knows lots of musical styles and other geeky stuff.  In fact he laughed out loud on Monday when we saw an article on the Beeb about Reading University losing funding to continue their space research work when I said it’s not right as that was the only space research in this country, lol!  Previously I have said that I think the money would be spent elsewhere – as I said to him what the ‘eck have you done to me lol?!
I had a snippet of already coloured paper (those Spectrum Noir AquaTint inks) left over from when I created the card I shared in June and as I’m on a snippet busting curve right now I thought I would create another one of these and here it is …

  
I was very surprised how alike the two cards are, even though I stamped the other one a month ago! 
You can feel the heat of the day and I just want to dip my toes into that water:
provided there are no crocodiles!
I am happy with the end result for a change!

Created for me and especially for these Challenges:


When I shared one of these cards last month I had several comments asking how I created the lush background of this piece.  It’s not difficult – I watched Sheena’s YouTube video. I got my crafting mat, ink blending foam, and glycerine out.  I pre-cut some card into A5 and A6 pieces first.  I added a little glycerine to my mat and used a pipette to add ink to the mat (they come in the kit), then I played: such fun!
Because I love to create scenes with my stamps and to make my own background papers I've played a lot with the SNAT's (Spectrum Noir AquaTint Inks).  I have found a happy medium for me because I tested them out so much at the beginning.  With these inks I can create pastel backgrounds, bold backgrounds, and backgrounds for using stamps to create a land or sea view.  
I've learnt how much I need to dilute the inks for the backgrounds or scenes.  Of course you could use the colours neat but it's not for me, the colours are too rich for me to use them undiluted.   
I've experimenting with using dry or wet card too.  Personally I prefer the card to be wet as this makes the inks blend beautifully.  It also helps me to create different styles and layers of colour, some end up pastel and some end up bold!    It's up to you, your personal choice.  I only used two colours of SNAT's to create the background, yellow and blue sky, and yes they were diluted in my china paint pallette that has deep wells.  
I mixed a little glycerine into my foam, dipped it into the diluted colour and then swiped across white card that I had dampened.  I grabbed another piece of foam, inked it up with the diluted blue and used it to colour the card starting from the bottom and lightly applying it up to where the yellow ink ended: simples J.  
If you want to try this technique but you don’t like having stained fingers or nails then you need to use disposable gloves.  The ink does come off but it takes time and at least two showers (I’ve found out that shampoo works the best as an ink remover).

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do this week  ttfn Karen x





Tools & Supplies
Stamp: Crafters Companion: SISET070 Stamp It Australia Luscious Landscapes stamp set

Miscellaneous Tools: craft mat; ink blending foam; pipettes; paint pallette; spray bottle of water; heat gun

Card Paper: Crafters Companion A4 Centura Pearl Snow White for colouring, stamping and base; A4 white paper mop up sheet

Spectrum Noir AquaTints: Perfectly Primary

EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours: WOW EP Gold Sparkle; white pencil; brown & green felt tips

Adhesives/Mediums: Versamark IP; foam pads; bottle of glycerine (local chemist shop where they asked me if I would be using it for cake decorations lol!)


13 comments:

Di said...

Breathtakingly beautiful Karen!! Wonderful work young lady!

Hugs

Di xx

Hettie said...

Gorgeous cards Karen. Mind if I did my toes in too? After you have checked for crocs!! Rubber or scaly ones!!
Hugs
xx

rachel said...

amazing work Karen - I loved the last time you used these stamps and I love this too - beautiful composition and totally lovely! Big hugs rachel x

AJ Bodine said...

Just gorgeous, does not look like a stamped image at all, rather that you free hand painted it. Such a peaceful scene.

SARN said...

Wonderfully wistful! xxx

Karen Crossen said...

Just gorgeous! I love the background - thank you so much for the steps - I will have to try myself!! Thank you so much for playing with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge Blog!

brenda said...

A beautiful card Karen, you have captured immense atmoshere, not an easy thing to do so well done. Many thanks for joining in at Penny Black and More challenge this month.

B x

brenda said...

Dahhh, I have a horrid feeling I added my note from PB&M, of course I meant to thank you for joining us at FlonzCraft Vintage Stamping Challenges.

B x

Strangely Creative said...

How beautiful, very soft and lovely, great technique! Cx

Donna B. said...

What a beautiful card. Great techniques! Thanks so much for playing at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

Astrid Maclean said...

Fabulous project, such beautiful and soft colours, just perfect for our theme at Mixed Media Monthly! Thanks so much for adding it to our challenge!

rachel said...

Hello Karen - just popping back to say thankyou for joining us at Coutryview challenges and wishing you all the best of luck in the draw! Big hugs rachel xx

Karen McAlpine said...

Ohh! Super pretty background! Love those trees too! Thanks for sharing your creative project with us on the Vintage Stamping Challenge!