Wednesday, 19 August 2015

An off the page experiment with old and new stamps ...``

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well.  I have been playing again, I’ve been having so much fun too.  Some of my experiments have worked and some have not, but it was good to play and create a couple of off the page projects and a tutorial for House of Cards.  Today I have my summer colours project to share with you and here it is …

  
It's about 150 mm in size and has a bit of depth
   
The whole thing I love it!
     
Close up of the poppies
The mini JOFY stamp set
I hope you all like it as much as I do!

Created for me and especially for these Challenges
Country View Crafts Challenge Summer
PaperArtsy Challenge Topic #15 Mediums: I was inspired by the original post
I wanted to try out the mediums that I own and see what I could come up with
I did try mixing my SNAT’s with white acrylic paint but the result was not pretty!


Colours & Optional Twist in the garden


I was very lucky to win the July candy at Country View Crafts blog and challenge and I was sent some lovely lush goodies, one of which is A4 bare chipboard sheets: I love bare chipboard because of what I can create with it J.  I cut my chipboard into A5 size and die cut a large circle.  Then I did the following steps:

1.  Added a layer of white gesso and left to dry;.
2.  Painted the circle in DecoArt Americana Buff acrylic paint and left to dry.

I have a lot of white card snippets from my DT creations at the beginning of the month.  I keep a bag for the snippets on my desk and I check it before I start a new project.  Then I followed these steps:

3.  I stamped the Sheena Douglass flowers with black Staz On ink onto the snippets;
4.  I used Perfectly Primary SNAT’s to create a peachy/orange shade in my paint pallette.

The next step was when I decided to experiment with an idea I had a couple of months ago.  I like/love glazes but I’m trying to use the last of my old colouring supplies.  I have inks that are 10+ year’s old, pots of Pebeo acrylics that are about 3-5 years old, a watercolour pallette, 10+ years, and they will not be replaced.   I would love to have more SNAT’s and H2Os (I’ve heavily used H2Os this summer), but I am sticking to my pledge of now colour purchases until the old are gone.  I have mixed my SNAT’s with white acrylic paint but the end result was not nice, to put it mildly lol!

5.  I added a small blob of glossy gel in my paint palette and blended the peach ink until I was happy with the colour. 
6.  The mix was a little too thick so I added water to loosen the mix.
7.  I started to colour my stamped poppies and left to dry. 
8.  I added more red to the glaze to create a darker orange and I added depth and shadow and left to dry.
9.  I created a lime green glaze in the same way. 
10. Once the flowers were dry I fussy cut the poppies out and stuck those and decoupaged some of them too to my chipboard circle.
11.  I made a little blend of red and yellow and coloured up some more snippets that I stamped with orange Staz On and I fussy cut them too and framed the circle.

I have candy that is open world wide to new and old Followers.  I would love it if my current Followers were to add their name too, for the post with the link you need to go here.

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do this week  ttfn Karen x







Tools & Supplies
Stamp:
Sheena Douglass A6 A Little Bit Sketchy: Poppies and Daisies stamp set
PaperArtsy JOFY Mini 34 Stamp set

Die Cutting Machine & Dies:
Cuttlebug die cutting machine
Spellbinders Large Classic Circles die

Miscellaneous Tools:
Paint pallette; paintbrushes; pot of water; pallette knife

Card Paper:
Country View Crafts Chipboard Sheets
Snippets of Crafters Companion A4 Centura Pearl Snow White Accents card

EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Staz On IP: Jet Black #
DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paint: Buff
Spectrum Noir AquaTints: Perfectly Primary

Embellishments:
Ribbon #
The Works self adhesive gems #

Adhesives/Mediums:
Maimeri Glossy Gel Medium
Collall all purpose glue; foam pads


# VOS: very old stash and no idea if still available to purchase, min. 5 years old

13 comments:

Carol said...

This has turned out so well Karen. Love the bright tangy colours and all your gorgeous flowers. I really must make more use of my aqua tints! Carol xx

Rainey's Craft Room said...

This is such a beautiful wall hanging Karen, the flowers are gorgeous and the colour is very warm and vibrant. I can hear by the way you describe your making of it that you really enjoyed this one.
Lorraine

ellyscard creatief said...

Very lovely creation Karen. Beautiful flowers.

Taunya Butler said...

WOW - this is stunning and very beautiful - love the details in those lovely flowers and this will look so good wherever it is placed!!!

rachel said...

this is absolutely stunning karen - absolutely gorgeous and so summery - love it! hugs rachel x

Bibi, Rubber Dance Stamps said...

WOW, this turned out really well, Karen! What a beautiful work of art to have on your wall (or that of a friend, perhaps). Thank you for entering our August challenge and using our colours as well as theme this month.

SARN said...

It looks fantastic Karen. So summery xxx

Sandra said...

Beautiful hanging, the poppies are wonderful. Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

Inky Kitty said...

What a lovely idea and colours, thank you for joining in this months challenge at The Artistic Stamper.

Susanne Rose said...

Very beautiful! Thank you for entering the Rubber Dance Challenge! Hugs, Susanne.

Rebecca Deeprose said...

A very pretty hanging Karen and just perfect for this late summer, early fall period~ I'm so glad you joined us for The Shabby Tea Room challenge!! Hugs, Rebecca

Deborah Wainwright said...

Karen this is so pretty. Orange can only mean summer lol Thanks for playing along with us at country view crafts hugs Debs xx

butterfly said...

Love the results of your experiments… the flowers look fantastic with the pop of dimension, and the colours are pure sunshine.
Thanks so much for playing along at Country View Challenges.
Alison x