Monday, 17 August 2015

VOS stash, snippets and multi media play ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your weekend was good and you have had a great start to this week.  I’ve a UFO project finished, yay, and slowly that very old stash is shrinking.  Today’s creation was inspired by challenges, some very old VOS and a bit of mixed media play too and here it is …

  
A DL card 
A final look

Created for me and especially for these Challenges
Allsorts Challenge #324 Favourite Colour: am in love with blue right now!
Fussy & Fancy Challenge Lazy Summer days
Simon Says Stamps Monday Challenge Citrus with a Twist:
(yellow AquaTint) to give a summer look to my summer hat
Stamp and Create Challenge One for the Girls
Vintage Stamping Challenge #35 Anything Goes


I wanted to create some summer themed cards and when I found this old hat card that idea gelled and I decided to create a summer hat.  I dug out my NBUS LOTV postcard stamp thinking it would perfectly fit the summer theme.  I recently finding these old Craftwork Cards hat shape card blanks and this snippet of their really old DP/PP too.  These shaped cards are small so I decided to cut one in half so that I could use the two halves as embellishments.  I looked through my ‘created’ by me paper stash I found a paper that I had planned to keep, then thought to myself well that’s stupid use it!  I knew it would look wonderful on my hat so I used wet glue to adhere it to the hat and fussy cut it. 

That paper is the result of playing with Maimeri Glossy Gel.  I used Washi tape to attach a Dutch Doobadoo stencil to a snippet of white card; I put some Maimeri Glossy Gel onto my craft mat, then used a piece of foam and added the gel to the card.  Once I had covered the stencil with the gel I removed the stencil, left the card to dry and got my stencil washed.

The next day I opened my sky blue AquaTints ink and added it to three of the wells in my paint pallette.  The first was kept for pure ink, the second I added water to the ink and in the final third pallette I added a lot more water.  I wanted my paper to be in shades of blue and white, i.e. not a solid layer of one colour: I hope I’m making sense. 

I added a wash of water to make the card damp, that helps the colours to flow and the end result doesn’t have hard lines if you don’t want it too.  I applied the three shades of ink with a paint brush, randomly across the card, and I’m happy with that variegated look.  I left the card to dry and once dry I attached it to the hat with wet adhesive and trimmed the excess.  I applied a final snippet of this Craftwork cards DP onto a DL card

I found a snippet of white Bazzill card that I coloured with diluted yellow (AquaTints egg yolk yellow ink is like a freshly organic farmed egg yolk in colour and is almost Fossilised Amber in colour.)  I diluted the yellow AquaTint ink a lot, to create more of a citrus colour, and applied it to my snippet, once that was dry I stamped the postcard and fussy cut it before adding sky blue ink to the edges to create a distressed look, it worked and I love the end result.  I used white die cut snippets of card with the Tattered Floral die.  I coloured the die cuts and a white bloom (Country View Crafts) with the sky blue AquaTints.  Once dry I layered them together and attached to the hat. 

I have candy that is open world wide to new and old Followers.  I would love it if my current Followers were to add their name too, for the post with the link you need to go here.

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do this week  ttfn Karen x







Tools & Supplies
Stamp:
LOTV Vintage post card stamp

Die Cutting Machine & Dies:
Cuttlebug die cutting machine
Tim Holtz Tattered Floral die

Stencil:
A5 Dutch Doobadoo stencil

Miscellaneous Tools:
Paint pallette; paint brushes; pot of water; ink blending foam

Card Paper:
Crafters Companion A4 Centura Pearl Snow White Accents card and snippets for die cutting; snippet white Bazzill card # ; Craftwork Cards Shaped Hat card & CP/PP #

EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Spectrum Noir: Perfectly Primary AquaTints Inks
Distress IP: Antique Linen

Embellishments:
Country View Crafts Bloom
Ribbon #

Adhesives/Mediums:
Double sided tape; Washi tape (for attaching and removing the mask); Collall all purpose glue

# VOS: very old stash and no idea if still available to purchase, min. 8 years old


9 comments:

Carol said...

Love your hat Karen...the paper you made is gorgeous, great technique! Carol x

rachel said...

so pretty karen. great technuque.... thanks for joining us at cvc too. big hugs rachel x

Rene said...

What a beautiful creation! Thank you so much for sharing this with us at Creative Inspirations! Good luck,
Rene

Di said...

Terrific Karen - I LOVE hats (don't get much reason to wear them these days, unless you count a woolly hat when out walking!) - and the colours are beautiful! Totally calls out Summer!!

Hugs

Di xx

Beth Brovold said...

What a gorgeous design...the colours are beautiful!! Thank you for sharing with us at Fussy and Fancy "Lazy Summer Days"!
Take care,
Beth

Taunya Butler said...

I will echo the other sentiments - this is beautiful and full of delightful details and yummy texture!! Way to go!!

Emma Williams said...

Such a gorgeous project and I love that flower, it looks amazing! Thanks for sharing your project and for joining us over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog ~ Emma :)

Team Clark said...

This is very pretty! Love the flower you made!

butterfly said...

Clever - love your summer hat… now if only there were some sunshine to be shaded from!
Thanks so much for playing along at Country View Challenges.
Alison x