Thursday, 17 September 2015

A mixed media make over: I let the dark stuff out ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week’s going well – nearly the weekend my lovelies and I hope you all have fabulous plans to play with your tools and stash.
I have to warn you in advance I went quite dark on this one.  It came about because I had created a similar card but I felt it was missing something and I was not happy with the end result.  Then I saw the current challenge at the Anything But Cute blog and I thought to myself why not remake it, and here is what it looked like before …



And here is what it looks like now …

   
A 150mm square card
A final look

 Created for me and especially for these Challenges
Anything But Cute Challenge Mixed Media Make Over
Cards und More Challenge #141 No DP/DSP
Deep Ocean Challenge #112 Shabby Chic 
Mixed Media World Challenge #7 AG autumn colours 
Scrapbook Blessings Club Challenge AG Optional Twist: Favourite Technique
Simon Says Stamps Monday Challenge Your Favourite Technique
I love every and all techniques because I love learning and creating
I love creating my own backgrounds and embellishing them with stamped elements
 Stamplorations Stamps Link for sharing Stamplorations Stamps & Masks creations
We Love 2 Create Challenge #19 Anything Mixed Media Goes


As I said above I allowed myself to go darker and scruffier than I normally would.  So that I would like/love the end result I used lots of orange, purple and yellow to stamp and colour with too.  I tapped green DIP onto a flat acrylic block and used that to colour the background around the flowers.  I also tapped orange, purple and yellow inks onto the block and splattered the coloured panel with those inks and I’ll be doing much more of that in future!

I added more SNAT colour to the stencilled background to make that much richer in colour too.  I coloured some roses and daises with my SNAT’s and used red and yellow acrylic paint to colour the daisies.  I stamped the butterflies onto the reverse of some left over scraps too and I darkened them with some brown and gold – yep I said it and I actually used it, brown!  Brown works beautifully with the colour orange, I recently discovered lol!

I have candy that is open world wide to new and old Followers.  I would love it if my current Followers were to add their name too, for the post with the link you need to go here.  Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do this week  ttfn Karen x










Tools & Supplies
Stamp: Stamplorations: Trendy Butterflies; Stamp Lab Large Helenium stamp

Stencil: That Special Touch of Mica

Miscellaneous Tools: paintbrushes; pot of water; palette knife

Card Paper: Crafter’s Companion A4 matt black card was used to create the base; snippets of card and paper were used for the stamped image and background experiment

EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours: Adirondack IP: Butterscotch; Purple
Spectrum Noir AquaTints Perfectly Primary: the orange red colour; Pebeo Acrylic Paint: yellow and red

Embellishments: WOC: daisies and roses; heart shape pin #; heart decoration #; The Works leaves

Adhesives/MediumsMaimeri Light Modelling Paste; Washi tape; double sided tape; Collall sticky glue


# VOS: very old stash and no idea if still available to purchase, min. 6 years old

14 comments:

Pawsitively Creative said...

So happy you have decided to use Brown! Hehe! Your remake is gorgeous and it seems like you have had a wonderful time with your stamps and butterflies! So many layers to this design! Awesome sauce!

Thanks for joining in our Mixed Media Makeover challenge at Anything But Cute! Hugz. ~Niki

Kelly Deal said...

Beautiful Karen! I LOVE the final look!

butterfliecrafter said...

one can not have enough butterfly stamps lol

Inky and Quirky said...

Gorgeous colourful tag, thanks for joining us at MMW too
Hugs
Donna xxx

Maura Hibbitts said...

Lots of great layers to this! Thanks for joining the Monday challenge at Simon Says Stamp this week!

Samra Leshinski said...

I loved the original too, but the makeover version is beautifully designed.
Thank you so very kindly for joining our Mixed Media Makeover challenge at Anything But Cute!
Hugs,

Samra DT
Paper Talk with Samra

Taunya Butler said...

Gorgeous and full of awesome details!!

Sara Barker said...

Karen, I bet that peacock he was sad he had to come off his pedestal! But, I'm loving your re-make! I'm particularly fond of darker colors and butterflies, so this is a great re-style in my opinion! Love that you are coming over to the dark side...tee hee!

Thank you for joining our Mixed Media Makeover at Anything But Cute. Hugs, Sara Emily DT

Nancy said...

Very nicely done, Karen! The result is wonderful!
Thanks for joining us at Scrapbook Blessings Club! :o)

Jane said...

Wow, amazing! Thank you for joining in The Craft Barn Challenge.
Jane x

Tinchen said...

very nice card and great colors
thanks you for joining us at cards und more challenge
regrads Tinchen

Cec said...

Love your transformation with all the pretty flowers. Thanks for joining us at Anything But Cute.
Hugs!
Cec

Ingrid Kristina V said...

Something tells me that you've caught the mixed media bug :) brilliant makeover! Gorgeous card, Karen! Thank you very much for sharing it with us at Mixed Media World! Ingrid X

Laine Kammeraad said...

Absolutely love how you revamped the card. It's gorgeous!! So delighted you shared with us at Mixed Media World and we hope you will join in our next challenge.

With smiles
Laine Kammeraad
DT Mixed Media World