Sunday, 25 October 2015

A possible Christmas present ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your weekend is going well.  I am using my Spectrum Noir AquaTints and all of my stencils an awful lot right now.  This was one of a set of six very old chipboard circles that I purchased many years ago and I think they were supposed to be large coasters but I wanted to try something different with them so here is one I have created that may be a present or we may keep it …

  
This is the first side: very bright and bold just as I love it
The AquaTints make it easy to blend 
That gorgeous stencil!
  
The second side: a bit more demure 
I can see a meadow on a warm summer day
 
The look is so different to the other: much softer and less defined 
I attached this butterfly both sides to hide where the ribbon is attached
A final look at the bold side 
And the softer side
Created for me and especially for these Challenges
Country View Crafts Challenge #32 Add Texture: lots of lovely texture here
Craft Stamper Challenge Take it Make it October
Take a Technique: collage; ink; paint; stamp: yay!
Pixie’s Snippets Playground Challenge #200 snippets that’s a huge achievement Miss!
If you use any large or small snippets come on over and join in
Scrap & Craft Challenge #14 Colours of Autumn
 Spectrum Noir Facebook Challenge October use orange &/or grey
Stamping Sensations Challenge October Colours of Autumn
Stamplorations Stamps Stencil Sunday Mixed Media Challenge


Three different types of card were used to create this.  I think the AquaTints can be used straight onto chipboard but I was worried a lot of the ink would soak into the chipboard and the colours would not be so bright and vibrant.  Because I’ve struggled applying AquaTints over gesso or white acrylic paint I chose to use up some snippets which make the snippet box shrink and I know how these inks react onto the surfaces I used.

I used snippets of Crafters Companion watercolour card that I had previously painted ombre style (orange; peach; red) and Crafters Companion Centura Pearl card (the non shiny side) to paint a landscape with watered down AquaTints (grass, sky, clouds etc).  I put the wet piece aside to dry whilst I got on with other projects.  I was very lucky to be awarded a Top Pick for the September CASEplorations challenge at Stamplorations and I picked this stencil as my prize: thank you Shery (and the whole company).  You make lovely quality stamps and wonderful stencils: the quality of both for the price is outstandingly good.   I love this stencil more than the butterfly stencil so you will be seeing it a lot more in future.  I only have small blue snippets left from this project but I am inspired to create winter landscapes with snowflakes falling with these beautiful shades of blue.  I can already see it in my mind.  Must make a snowflake stencil with my dies and acetate.

The next day I grabbed the coloured watercolour card and picked which stencil I wanted to use before applying the buff Americana Satin Finish paint with a piece of sponge through the stencil.  I removed the stencil and scrubbed it off as best as I possibly could (I need to purchase some stencil cleaner soon). 

I put the watercolour card to one side to thoroughly dry whilst I started on the painted landscape card.  I tried applying the SNATs with a brush then a piece of foam through the stencil but it spread out a bit too much.  So I mopped up the AquaTints and dried the stencil before attaching it with some Washi tape.  I used a watercolour pencil to draw the shapes through the stencil onto the landscape and then used the AquaTints to colour in between the lines.

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do this week  ttfn Karen x










Tools
Stamp: Stamplorations 4” x 6” Trendy Butterflies stamp set

Stencil: Stamplorations Artplorations Bloom Silhouettes stencil

Miscellaneous Tools: heat tool; paint brushes; pot of water; paint palette; palette knife

Supplies
Card Paper: Crafter’s Companion: Centura Pearl Snow White Accents card for the bold layer; large snippet of Watercolour card; small white snippets from my stash
Chipboard circles #

EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours: Spectrum Noir Perfectly Primary AquaTints; Tim Holtz DIP: Scattered Straw (the butterflies); DecoArt Americana Acrylic Satin Finish paint; watercolour pencils #

Embellishments: ribbons from stash I won from Hazel *

Adhesives/Mediums: Collall all purpose glue


# VOS: very old stash and no idea if still available to purchase, min. six years old and * ribbon about three years old

20 comments:

Liz said...

This is really pretty. I love how you've made the two sides so different. xx

rachel said...

wpnderful makes karen .... i wouldn't want to part with them! thanks for entering them into the challenge at cvc challenges too. big hugs rachel x

Barb said...

Both sides look lovely Karen and so different. I can't decide which I like best. The little butterflies are a really good idea.

Did you get my email ok by the way. Barbxx

Carol said...

A gorgeous piece Karen, love the colours and the differing uses of the stencil. Carol x

Sally H said...

another stunning creation! You are on a roll my friend!

KT Fit Kitty said...

Wow, these are gorgeous! Love the images on both sides - I think the bold side is my favourite! This would make a fabulous gift! Sorry I haven't been around much - I've been on a blog break. I will be blogging again for this week as I'm taking part in a blog hop. I hope to stop in to visit you again this week, and would love to see you over on my blog as well. It's a Cat Lovers Hop so if you like kitties, you will enjoy my cards! If not, that's okay.

Super excited about the PanPastels and I imagine they will arrive this week - I'll let you know when they get here so you'll know they arrived safely! Thanks again!

SARN said...

Lovely inking up Karen. Great idea to add a butterfly to hide where the ribbon is stuck on.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Di said...

Really lovely Karen! I love both sides but the softer one just has the edge for me - beautiful work!

Hugs

Di xx

Viv's Visuals said...

Just lovely Karen! Thanks for sharing with us at Stamping Sensations. x

SARN said...

BRILLIANT inking and loveliness going on here Karen.

Now, did you say you were in charge of the pyrotechnics at the Playground Party later????? I knew you'd be good at that . . .

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Margot-craftcorner said...

Really lovely !!! Thanks for joining us at Scrap & Craft challenge !! Margot xx

Darnell J Knauss said...

I think you should keep this beautiful creation, Karen, and hang it where you can see it! It would be so inspiring to look at it! It's very impactful on both sides and a brilliant use of snippets! Hugs, Darnell

Taunya Butler said...

This is beautiful and so remarkable!! I love how pretty and delicate it looks!! So wonderful!!

Gio said...

This could be a lovely gift, such a gorgeous blending and shades. Thank you for joining us in the Craft Stamper challenge :-)

Linda said...

This is so pretty .... I love how both sides are different. Thank you for joining in with the Craft Stamper Challenge .... good luck! Linda xx

Jingle said...

These are gorgeous! Such beautiful work! Thanks so much for playing along with us over on the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge blog!

Maarit at Violets Corner said...

Stunning use of the stencil, so pretty colours.

Love and hugs
Maarit

brenda said...

A super creation for our Autumnal theme Karen, many thanks for joining us at Stamping Sensations challenges.

B x

Susan Carol said...

How beautiful. Love all the variations.

Asmah Zainal Abidin said...

These are going to be gorgeous wall hanging in your home Karen because the flowers are so gorgeous, I mean the inking is superb. Beautiful craft work, I love it!. Thanks for supporting us in the STAMPlorations October Mixed Media Challenge and join us again this month. Happy crafting Karen!
Hugs&Smiles,
Asmah
STAMPlorations Mixed Media DT
Qinaahana Arts and Crafts {My Blog}