Wednesday, 28 October 2015

Embossing powder, stamps, stencils and sparkly texture paste ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well.  I am so grateful that I was very creative earlier this month because the fall I had over the weekend is still affecting me and I’m struggling to sleep grr, hopefully I’ll back to my sort of  normal soon.  I wanted to see if I could create a one layer mixed media tag and here it is …
  
A one layer one - very out of this month's throw it all and make it deep tags lol!
I love this one too.  I have surprised myself by how wide my taste is when creating!

Created for me and especially for these Challenges
Fussy & Fancy Challenge #150 Orange, Black or Purple
Papertake Weekly Challenge Take Your Pick 
I chose the Technique Theme to use my stamps as well as Halloween Colours 
Simon Says Stamps Monday Challenge Throwback: August 2015 Home Grown
 Spectrum Noir Facebook Challenge October use orange &/or grey 
Stamplorations Stamps Stencil Sunday Mixed Media Challenge
  The Shabby Tea Room #262 colours & patterns
Whimsy Stamps Inspirations Challenge #87 Fall or Christmas Colours
WOW Embossing Powder Challenge Anything Goes not a card


I created an ombre master board earlier this month using the two reds from the Perfectly Primary Spectrum Noir AquaTints and watercolour card.  If you’ve never tried to create a master board I highly recommend you try it out.  I have several folders of backgrounds that I’ve created myself.  Some were created with distress inks, some with paint and now several with the AquaTints. 

When I create my master boards I start out with all of them by adding ink/paint to card or WC card.  Once I have the look or colour that I want I either heat set or put them to one side whilst working on other projects.  I’ve wanted to try out the ombre technique for a long time and certain challenges this month have also helped with my decision.  I used the two shades of red in the Perfectly Primary AquaTints set.  I add them to my palette and make blends and paler shades before using them to colour my card.
I chose to use the AquaTints instead of distress inks because it’s a lot easier to do with the AquaTints and it doesn't hurt my hands and fingers which it does when I do this with my distress inks.  Also it takes about a quarter of the time to do with the AquaTints than with my distress inks.  Once I have my card the colour I want I decide if I want to add interest to the whole sheet or cut off pieces as I need it this time I cut them as I needed them.  I often add stamped or stencil details onto my backgrounds. 


On today’s tag I used a stencil and Versamark IP to tap through one of my stencils and then removed it and added green EP for the stems and orange EP for the flowers.  I had to heat set each time because repositioning the stencil would have disturbed the embossing and it was worth the extra time it took.  Once I had all of the flowers embossed I stamped the butterfly and used gold EP for that and I had finished the background.  I decided I wanted it to have a lot more texture so I added Imagination Crafts Sparkle Medium with my tear drop stencil.  Once it was dry I put the stencil back in the same place and added more sparkle to the thick end of the tear drops and I love the effect I achieved.  Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon ttfn Karen x









Tools
Stamp:  Stamplorations 4” x 6” Trendy Butterflies stamp set
Stencil: Artplorations stencils: Droplet
Miscellaneous Tools: heat tool; paint brushes; pot of water; paint palette; palette knife

Supplies
Card Paper: Crafter’s Companion A4 Watercolour card cut to create a tag
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours: Versamark IP; Spectrum Noir Perfectly Primary AquaTints; WOW EP; Imagination Crafts Sparkle Medium
Embellishments: ribbon snippet from my stash #
Adhesives/Mediums: double sided tape; Collall all purpose glue

# VOS: very old stash and no idea if still available to purchase, min. 3 years old

7 comments:

rachel said...

great ideas here karen and lovely warm colours. thanks for joining us at cv challenges too. hugs rachel xx

Carol said...

You've really rocked the autumnal colours with your mood board Karen...and this tag is gorgeous. Carol x

Taunya Butler said...

Gorgeous details and just a beautiful tag full of the essence and beauty of Fall!!!

Mandy said...

Gorgeous tag Karen! The warm colours are lovely and I love the pretty texture and sparkle.
I hope you feel better and are fully recovered from your fall soon.
Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge
Mandy xx

Sharon Caudle said...

So beautiful!! Thanks so much for joining us at Papertake Weekly!

Asmah Zainal Abidin said...

Oh no, the fall sounds painful Karen. Hope you are able to walk better now. be careful dear. I'm in love with your tag. So carefully created and you have achieved greatness in your work. I love it. Thank you for playing along at STAMPlorations October Mixed Media Challenge. Come and join us again. Happy creating!
Hugs&Smiles,
Asmah
STAMPlorations Mixed Media DT
Qinaahana Arts and Crafts {My Blog}

TangledBlueRose said...

Fabulous moody Fall color. I love the contrast with the shimmery drops. Well done one layer challenge, so wonderful. Thanks so much for playing with us at STAMPlorations Mixed Media Challenge!~kim