Thursday, 22 October 2015

Time for Tim ...

 Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well.  Last month it was a mad and manic panic to get my Tim Holtz tag finished and entered in time.  This month I didn’t want to have to do that again so I spent time yesterday and today playing with my stash and trying out the techniques that were shared for the October tag.   I have actually created another couple of tags which I will share later on this month because I’ve learnt a lot about layers and adding to those layers. 

These layering techniques have become an immense source of pleasure to me.  I can achieve so much more depth and rich colour by layering inks and by remembering to dry in between each layer so that it is permanent.  When I saw Tim’s tag I loved it!  Frankenstein is a blast and I wanted to create a lady monster for him to have a date with/go out for dinner with or to be the future Mrs Frankenstein lol!  Although the idea of sharing one of my drawings (started to draw early this year) to such a wide audience is terrifying to me but I really wanted to create a Mrs Frankenstein so I had to bite the bullet and be brave.   I distressed the background following Tim’s step by step here Here is my tag using Tim’s techniques and my stash (there is a little bit more involved because I made a mistake, details below) …

 
Front and side view 
A final look

want to enter this into Tim’s 12 Tags of 2015 here and these challenges:

 Tando Creative Challenge Colour challenge

 The Mixed Media Challenge Word Search: Bat & Witch


As I mentioned above I made a mistake adding too much ink to my background paper (very, very old stash).  As soon as I had done it I knew I’d made a mistake because the background was totally obliterated.  I grabbed my baby wipes and quickly removed a lot of ink and I put it to one side to completely dry before I started again.  The tag was still a little too dark in places so I watered down some acrylic white paint and added a light wash over the heavily inked areas.  Once dry I stamped and stencilled all over the background to give it a much better look and breathed a sigh of relief that it (a) looked good and (b) the background was recognisable to Tim’s tag.

The next step was colouring white card with green and black using the wrinkle free distress technique.  Once I was happy with the colours I put the card to one side whilst I worked on a couple on other elements.   I painted my Tando Creative chipboard bats with my TH Distress Black Soot ink pad, added gold Perfect Pearls eyes and put to one side.  I then started to draw my ‘monster’.  It took me several attempts to get her to look unworldly and a little mean.  Once I was happy that I had the right look I drew her onto the wrinkle free distress green card and used my markers to add eyes, lips and stitches where she was sewn together in bits.  I drew a witch hat onto the black card and cut that out.  I added black and brown ink to the light black card to create a dark witch hat with a brown band.  I darkened the hat with a lot of black and then cut it out.  I attached the witch head to the bat and the hat to the head.

I used the same techniques as Tim but altered the colours slightly to take into account my stash.  This month I have learnt that if I allow myself to go with the flow I can happily use brown and like it.  Blooming heck folks I had a real eureka moment this month!  I actually dug out my brown ink pads especially (yes the dark brown distress inks) and I love that I’ve learnt I love them when creating stuff that is just for me.  So my family don’t like it too dark but I’m not doing this for my family – it’s for me and it’s about me learning, my pushing and my technique library growing.  Thank you so much Tim and thank you all for encouraging me too.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do this week  ttfn Karen x








Tools & Supplies
Stamp:
Tim Holtz: CMS001 Nature’s Moments cling mount stamp set
Stencil:
Memory Box rings stencil; Tando ink splats stencil
Miscellaneous Tools:
We Are Memory Keepers: Crop A Dile punch kit
Paintbrushes; heat gun; ink blending tool and foam; spray bottle of water; craft mat

Card Paper:
White card hand cut to create tags and for creating stamped backgrounds are from my stash; Tim Holtz DP #
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Tim Holtz Distress Inks: black soot; pumice stone; vintage photo; walnut stain; rusty hinge; crushed olive; peeled paint; spiced marmalade; mustard seed
Tim Holtz Distress Stain: rusty hinge
Perfect Pearls powders: heirloom gold; pewter
Windsor & Newton black acrylic paint
WH Smith: drawing pencils; felt tips
Embellishments:
Gingham ribbon from my stash which I made mucky with my brown DIPs #
Adhesives/Mediums:
Double sided tape; Collall all purpose glue

# VOS: very old stash and no idea if still available to purchase, min. 5 years old

11 comments:

Asha said...

He is cute is a quirky way! Mistakes? What mistakes!:)
hugs, Asha

rachel said...

this is so cool Karen - I love that you've created a ladyfriend for Frankenstein - what a genius idea!! Brilliant! Hugs rachel x

Carol said...

A brilliant take on the tag Karen...love Mrs Frankenstein! Carol x

Barb said...

A great Mrs. Frankenstein Karen. I love the background too. Very well retrieved I'd never have known. Barbxx

Carol Plume said...

What a fun tag, thank you for sharing with us at Tando creative.

Anna-Karin said...

Your witch monster is fabulous!! Stunning and very creative take on Tim's tag. Thank you so much for sharing with us at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!!

Taunya Butler said...

WHOA - so super SPOOKTACULAR - great for this!!!

Gez Butterworth said...

Great colours, great tag! Thank you for joining the Tando Creative challenge. Gez

Donna B. said...

Super cool tag!! Spooky witch!! Thanks so much for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

Karen Crossen said...

Love your drawing!! Thank you so much for sharing her with us! She is wonderful!! I love the layered ink in the background - it looks fantastic! Thank you so much for playing along with us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

Rachel said...

such a spooky yet pretty frankenwitch! i love the bat detail as her dress collar... so creative! Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

-Rachel
rwkrafts.com