Friday, 23 October 2015

Using Tim Holtz Background Techniques for a Batty Tag ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well.  Today I have another Halloween tag to share with you and here it is …

 
I love the colours: they remind me of marmalade! 
Full on stamping and inkyness 
  
The bats are awesome although IRL they terrify me lol!
A final look

Created for me and especially for these Challenges
Crop Stop Challenge Blog #9 Link Party 

 Sparkle & Shine Challenge inspired by the orange pumpkins & the black on the balustrade & the theme
  

 Time Out Challenge inspired by the black and orange pumpkins, the black bird with his wings out & the theme


This is so out of my usual comfort zone!  Before this year I have only ever made a couple of cards in the style of Halloween and in fact those I altered to be more child friendly so cute witches and a cute wizard lol!  I’ve learnt a lot from Tim Holtz since watching, playing and trying out his techniques.  I hadn’t fully realised the difference it makes to the finished look of a piece of card or paper by thoroughly drying the Distress ink layers.  If you want to know how I created the background please go to Tim Holtz step by step here.

I’ve always had problems with my distress inked layers disappearing and this may be the root of my issues.  I will compare my much loved pink heat gun (loved because it is lighter in weight) to my ‘spare’ one that runs a lot hotter and weighs a lot more over the weekend.  So I guess I will be playing with ink and stamps again lol! 

I really hope I am not boring you all with these tags.  I am so into creating them right now for a couple of reasons and health issues and a fall this week is one of them lol!  Anyway I plan to start cranking up the Christmas production line after the weekend so there will be more cards and other creations soon.  Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon ttfn Karen x








Stamp:
Tim Holtz: CMS001 Nature’s Moments cling mount stamp set

Stencil:
Memory Box rings stencil; Tando ink splats stencil

Miscellaneous Tools:
We Are Memory Keepers: Crop A Dile punch kit
Paintbrushes; heat gun; ink blending tool and foam; spray bottle of water; craft mat

Card Paper:
Crafter’s Companion Centura Pearl Snow White Accents card to cut a tag for inking

EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Tim Holtz Distress Inks: pumice stone; vintage photo; walnut stain; rusty hinge; crushed olive; peeled paint; spiced marmalade; mustard seed
Tim Holtz Distress Stain: rusty hinge
Perfect Pearls powders: heirloom gold; pewter #
Windsor & Newton black acrylic paint

Embellishments:
Tando Creative Chipboard Bats
Gingham ribbon from my stash which I made mucky with my brown DIPs #

Adhesives/Mediums:
Versamark IP; Collall all purpose glue

# VOS: very old stash and no idea if still available to purchase, min. 5 years old

14 comments:

rachel said...

great make Karen - Tim really is the master of background techniques - he's so inspirational!!! hugs rachel x

Carol said...

A fabulous tag Karen, that background looks terrific. Carol c

Sally H said...

Loving your tags and the backgrounds are looking fab! I tend to use distress inks to make backgrounds and memento inks to stamp with

brenda said...

A super Halloween tag Karen and lush colours, hope you have a good weekend.

B x

sandie said...

The inking background is fabulous and it does look like marmalade! Thanks for joining TO x

SARN said...

Not bored at all Karen . . . LOVE the look of your batty tag! Will check out the link to TH regarding drying layers . . . might need to know about that!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Barb said...

It's a super Halloween tag Karen. I love those bats and the background is beautiful. Barbxx

vinita jain said...

Love the lush colors and a fab Halloween tag! I love these bats too!

Houses Built of Cards said...

Fabulous inking on your tag! Thanks so much for joining us at Sparkle and Shine!!!

housesbuiltofcards@gmail.com
www.housesbuiltofcards.blogspot.com

Taunya Butler said...

WOW - this tag is way cool - love the background on them and the bats are terrific!!!

Claire Broadwater said...

Karen, such a fabulous, spooky tag! I love the inking and the color combo! So happy you joined us at Sparkle & Shine! XX

Shona Chambers said...

I think this is the most fabulous tag, the colours are so vibrant and the bats are brilliant! Its so perfect for our challenge and I'm so glad you joined us at TIME OUT!!

Carol Plume said...

Lovely tag, thank you for sharing with us at Tando creative.

Gez Butterworth said...

Fabulous tag. What a great background and the little bats are sooo cute!
Thank you for joining the Tando Creative challenge. Gez