Monday, 2 November 2015
A technique and an old favourite stamp ...
Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your weekend was good and you’re having a good start to the week. I have another card to share with you today. I have several already created backgrounds ready and because of the several new challenges I thought this was a fabulous chance for me to use them and to push myself a little too. So here is the card I was inspired to create …
An A6 card
Created for me and especially for these Challenges
Little Claire Stamps Challenge #62 this is one of my favourite flower stamps and as I hadn’t used it in a while I decided to get it out
I’m back quicker than I originally planned but after seeing a certain challenge or two I really wanted to play along with several of them and use some of my snippets and stash too, lol, and I wanted to try the Stamped and Cut Window technique (House of Cards Challenge Blog) differently to what I shared yesterday. I have plans for some Christmas cards created this way too: just giving and early warning to you all, you know how I get obsessed (aka OCD) with techniques, lol.
Because I have many created by me papers and cards I have taken to writing onto a Post It what I used to create them. I’ve been caught out recently so I’m now trying to remember to do this shortly after I have created a background lol! I created the base layer (underneath the aperture) using the last of several H2O paints (there were just little dots of colour in the pots). And yes I am that frugal at times lol! Sadly the shimmer isn’t showing, as usual, but it is there. There was only a little of each colour left in the pot so I added water and poured them onto textured paper that had a fingerprint or two on it (when using ink or paint I’m often mucky and always have card/paper with ink or paint splodges).
I grabbed a piece of smooth white card that I coloured with pink AquaTints. I take about 5-10 ml out of the pot with a pipette and spread it across three wells in my paint palette and create three shades of pink. After I coloured the card I left it to dry whilst working on the butterfly. I create some of my embellishments from clay, Friendly Plastic or Thermomorph and I use moulds and/or mini cutters to create them, I also create them in batches so they are ready in advance for when I want to use them (still a little OCD going on lol!). This butterfly was created with Thermomorph and it was white so added colour with Picked Raspberry DIP but it didn’t look quite right. I got white acrylic paint out, put it into the paint palette, and added a small amount of pink AquaTints to colour it. I haphazardly applied the paint to the butterfly and heat set it a little: so glad I did because it has fabulous texture! I also added some pink Stickles to the butterfly which again adds texture and a little more bling.
When I went back to the background I stamped the flowers with pale ink so that once they were coloured there would not be a dark or solid line from the stamp. This no line colouring technique is one of my favourites and I go back to it every so often. I also have a not so little box of very old embellishments to use so I grabbed a solid stamen that I coloured with a Spectrum Noir alcohol marker. I trimmed bling mesh and attached a line of that to the pink layer which gives another layer of texture. I die cut the circle from the A6 background once it was dry and used my embossing tool to dry emboss the die cut line, again texture! I inked the base A6 card and the coloured panel before attaching them to the card. I have been using Funky Foam as an experiment for replacing foam pads and it’s worked beautifully here as the funky foam completely supports the layer. I cut the foam smaller than the layer and removed a large area for the aperture.
Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment. I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon ttfn Karen x
Stamp: Little Claire stamp
Die Cutting Machine & Dies: Cuttlebug Die Cutting Machine and
Spellbinders Large Classic
Circle die set
Miscellaneous Tools: Martha Stewart Silicon butterfly mould; heat tool; paintbrushes; pot of water, embossing tool
Card Paper: 300 gsm card; snippets textured paper #
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Spectrum Noir AquaTints Perfectly Primary & Perfectly Grunge
Spectrum Noir Alcohol Marker dark grey;
Distress IP: Victorian Velvet
Pink Stickles Glitter Glue #; very old H20 colours #
Embellishments: Thermomorph granules; wire stamen #; bling mesh #
Adhesives/Mediums: funky foam; double sided tape; Collall all purpose glue
# VOS: very old stash and no idea if still available to purchase, min. 6 years old