Monday, 2 November 2015

A technique and an old favourite stamp ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your weekend was good and you’re having a good start to the week.  I have another card to share with you today.  I have several already created backgrounds ready and because of the several new challenges I thought this was a fabulous chance for me to use them and to push myself a little too.  So here is the card I was inspired to create …
  
An A6 card 

Created for me and especially for these Challenges
Little Claire Stamps Challenge #62 this is one of my favourite flower stamps and as I hadn’t used it in a while I decided to get it out


I’m back quicker than I originally planned but after seeing a certain challenge or two I really wanted to play along with several of them and use some of my snippets and stash too, lol, and I wanted to try the Stamped and Cut Window technique (House of Cards Challenge Blog) differently to what I shared yesterday.  I have plans for some Christmas cards created this way too: just giving and early warning to you all, you know how I get obsessed (aka OCD) with techniques, lol.

Because I have many created by me papers and cards I have taken to writing onto a Post It what I used to create them.  I’ve been caught out recently so I’m now trying to remember to do this shortly after I have created a background lol!  I created the base layer (underneath the aperture) using the last of several H2O paints (there were just little dots of colour in the pots).  And yes I am that frugal at times lol!  Sadly the shimmer isn’t showing, as usual, but it is there.  There was only a little of each colour left in the pot so I added water and poured them onto textured paper that had a fingerprint or two on it (when using ink or paint I’m often mucky and always have card/paper with ink or paint splodges).

I grabbed a piece of smooth white card that I coloured with pink AquaTints.  I take about 5-10 ml out of the pot with a pipette and spread it across three wells in my paint palette and create three shades of pink.  After I coloured the card I left it to dry whilst working on the butterfly.  I create some of my embellishments from clay, Friendly Plastic or Thermomorph and I use moulds and/or mini cutters to create them, I also create them in batches so they are ready in advance for when I want to use them (still a little OCD going on lol!).  This butterfly was created with Thermomorph and it was white so added colour with Picked Raspberry DIP but it didn’t look quite right.  I got white acrylic paint out, put it into the paint palette, and added a small amount of pink AquaTints to colour it.  I haphazardly applied the paint to the butterfly and heat set it a little: so glad I did because it has fabulous texture!  I also added some pink Stickles to the butterfly which again adds texture and a little more bling.

When I went back to the background I stamped the flowers with pale ink so that once they were coloured there would not be a dark or solid line from the stamp.  This no line colouring technique is one of my favourites and I go back to it every so often.  I also have a not so little box of very old embellishments to use so I grabbed a solid stamen that I coloured with a Spectrum Noir alcohol marker.  I trimmed bling mesh and attached a line of that to the pink layer which gives another layer of texture.  I die cut the circle from the A6 background once it was dry and used my embossing tool to dry emboss the die cut line, again texture!  I inked the base A6 card and the coloured panel before attaching them to the card.  I have been using Funky Foam as an experiment for replacing foam pads and it’s worked beautifully here as the funky foam completely supports the layer.  I cut the foam smaller than the layer and removed a large area for the aperture.

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon ttfn Karen x



Tools
Stamp: Little Claire stamp

Die Cutting Machine & Dies: Cuttlebug Die Cutting Machine and Spellbinders Large Classic Circle die set

Miscellaneous Tools: Martha Stewart Silicon butterfly mould; heat tool; paintbrushes; pot of water, embossing tool

Supplies
Card Paper: 300 gsm card; snippets textured paper #

EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Spectrum Noir AquaTints Perfectly Primary & Perfectly Grunge
Spectrum Noir Alcohol Marker dark grey;
Distress IP: Victorian Velvet
Pink Stickles Glitter Glue #; very old H20 colours #

Embellishments: Thermomorph granules; wire stamen #; bling mesh #

Adhesives/Mediums: funky foam; double sided tape; Collall all purpose glue


# VOS: very old stash and no idea if still available to purchase, min. 6 years old

12 comments:

brenda said...

A really lovely and vibrant colour palette Karen, I think it's so good to be bold and try our different combos as so often as with your card they work to perfection.

B x

SARN said...

What a super butterfly card Karen. Great inky background and grunged up butterfly!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Diane said...

What a lovely card design and colors Karen.

Hugs Diane

Zoe Tant said...

Lovely card Karen and love the colours. thanks for the details of how to..... Zx

rachel said...

a really pretty card Karen - beautiful background and i love that butterfly! Hugs rachel x

Anna-Karin said...

Beautiful card and butterfly! Thank you so much for sharing with us at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!

Diane said...

Love your vibrant colours Karen and such a fab design too !! Glad you could play along with us at Little Claires !!

hugs Diane xx

Melanie said...

Nice card! Thanks for playing along with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge Blog! ~ melanie ~

Donna B. said...

Beautiful card! I love that grungy butterfly. Thanks so much for joining us at the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

Astrid Maclean said...

This is wonderful! I absolutely love what you did here, that butterfly is gorgeous, - thanks so much for adding it to our Texture challenge challenge at Mixed Media Monthly!

Karen said...

Love your butterfly!! She is wonderful! Thank you for playing with us at the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

Rachel said...

beautiful card and YES that butterfly is lovely! Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

-Rachel
rwkrafts.com