Friday, 4 December 2015

A Christmas Card Experiment ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week was a good one.  Another Christmas card to share with you today and here it is …


 
An A6 card 
Love my Crazy Birds!
   
A die cut and embellishments
I love the shimmer and shades of blue!  
A final look

Created for me and especially for these Challenges
Addicted to Stamps & More Challenge #173 Holiday
Creative Artiste Challenge #9 Anything Goes Mixed Media
 Eclectic Ellapu Challenge Purple: To Die For 
 Papertake Weekly Challenge Anything Goes
Scrap & Craft Challenge Anything Christmas
 the challenge has been extended a little
That’s Crafty Challenge Christmas 
Whimsy Stamps Challenge #88 Anything Goes Christmas 
 Word Art Wednesday Challenge #212 Anything Goes


I think you can understand why I said this card was an experiment.  I let loose with the embellishments and with the glitter.  I know it’s not completely shabby chic but it is almost there.  I am happy with how this one ended up and now know that I am pushing myself in the right direction to create shabby chic style.  This card will not go in the post so I didn’t have to worry about the depth and weight.  I have over the last few months used most of my oldest embellishments so I took the time to get out these wooden embellishments to adorn a card with, and this is the first one with them and creating this card was a lot of fun! 
I had a snippet of H2O coloured card which I used with LOTV postcard stamp and Distress Ink Pad (I love this stamp).  Looking around to see what other snippets or embellishments or bits and bobs that I have I found the stamped bird.  It hadn’t been coloured at that point so I tried colouring it with Spectrum Noir AquaTints but didn’t like it so I coloured it with acrylic paint didn’t like that either so I made up a mix of both and finally got the look I wanted.
I used the acrylic and AquaTints blended colour to tint the wooden embellishments and once dry I applied glue and glitter where I wanted it to sparkle.  The metal corner was a dark brown colour which I wasn’t keen on so I coloured it with the same blend as the wooden embellishments and roughly glittered that once the paint was dry.  My lovely hubby purchased the Crazy Bird Things from Country View Crafts and a set of Tim’s word dies.  They had an awesome offer on Black Friday and he told me if I found a great deal I was to get it.  So I now have the Crazy Birds Things and they arrived so quickly I was able to stamp the hat onto another snippet, which I coloured with AquaTints and I glittered the hat too before adding it as the last touch to my card: love my bird stamps I do!
Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon  ttfn Karen x








Tools & Supplies
Stamp:  
Tim Holtz: Crazy Birds & Crazy Bird Things stamp sets; LOTV Vintage Postcard stamp
Die Cutting Machine & Dies:
Cuttlebug die cutting machine
Crafter’s Companion Downton Abbey Half Doily die; Die’Sire Happy Christmas die
Miscellaneous Tools:
Paint brushes; pipettes; heat gun; pot of water
Card Paper:
Snippets Crafter’s Companion Centura Pearl Snow White Accents card
300 gsm card
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Spectrum Noir AquaTints: Perfectly Primary set
H2O paints #
The Works: white acrylic paint
Embellishments:
Metal corner (win prize from a challenge)
Wooden embellishments: toadstool; flowers; leaf #; metal star bead #; metal wire and bead embellishment #; blue glitter #; white sequins #
Adhesives/Mediums:
Collall all purpose glue

# VOS: very old stash and no idea if still available to purchase, min. 6 years old

12 comments:

Carol said...

Fabulous Christmas card Karen, that crazy bird is so cute. Carol x

KT Fit Kitty said...

Cool card! Those crazy birds always crack me up! I haven't tried shabby chic style but this looks lovely!

Mrs A. said...

Crazy bird looks awesome in blue and you have transposed him into the shabby chic style perfectly. Hugs Mrs A.

Barb Ghig said...

Really stunning card, Karen! I think you did an amazing job on your shabby chic design and I love all the dimension on this card! Thanks so much for playing along with us this week at ATSM!

Wheelie Crafty said...

Gorgeous Card, I love the snow look and that ird is awesome... Thank you for joining in on our challenge over at Creative Artiste's Mixed Media Challenge.. Good Luck and we hope to see you again soon...

Hugs Rhonda DT xx
http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.com.au

rachel said...

this is wonderful Karen and I'm so glad you got your crazy bird things to play with!!! They're awesome fun...enjoy xx

Tracy Crafty Freeman said...

Ek I LOVE it !! I so need these crazy birds they are just fantastic !!!
I hope you are well my lovely friend ?? Thank you as always for your lovely comment, I am doing ok thank you :) really enjoying creating again xxx sending lots of fluffy fibro hugs xxx

Carole Robb Bisson said...

Glitter is always a good thing. Thank you so much for taking time to post your very creative art with us this week at Word Art Wednesday in our 212th FF AG challenge! Advent Blessings, Carole

Barb said...

Lovely card Karen. He's my favourite of the crazy birds. Barbxx

Suzi said...

What a cute card this is. Adorable design and great colour combo. Thank you for joining us over at Scrap & Craft Inspiration. Good luck! Hugs Suzi

Debbie said...

great work with different techniques
thanks for joining our challenge over at
http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.com.au
thanks Deb DT xx

Sheryl said...

Great quirky image. I love the texture and gorgeous layers on this card. Good to have you with us at Creative Artiste's Mixed Media Challenge this month.
Hugs Sheryl DT member xx