Tuesday, 29 December 2015

For gifting ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well.  I am using watercolour snippets to experiment to create a Northern Lights sky look, the details are below.  I didn’t get out to the post office to send any of the Christmas cards I created over the past year but I want to create some batches to gift to my family and this one is the first card from the first batch …

  
 A little A6 one but nice and flat so that's good! 
I love the night sky and AB look!
A final look

Created for me and especially for these Challenges
Card Mania Challenge #75 Christmas
Country View Crafts Challenge December Create a Scene
I used snippets for stamping and colouring and snippets for die cutting
Winter Wonderland Challenge Christmas Bingo: snowflakes; glitter; rhinestones
Word Art Wednesday Challenge #214 & #215 Anything Goes


Very quickly, without too much waffle, I altered a sheet of DP/PP because I didn’t like it and I did that by painting over the top with purple acrylic paint.  Once dry I tapped Versamark IP through one of my Tando stencils and added embossing powder sadly you can’t see much of that because I added the landscape over the top of it. 

The next step was creating something like the Northern Lights sky (aurora borealis) and I’ve  discovered that my RA and fibro issues means I can’t do that like I used to do by adding many layers of ink with the blending tool then drying between every coat of ink.  Sadly doing that with my ink pads or re-inkers hurts a lot.  So I experimented with the AquaTints they are so bright and very rich in colour.  I painted the sky three times to get the look I needed/wanted and my hands and fingers were very grateful for that fact lol!  I have had to use three sets of the inks because the black ink that is in the Essentials set, the dark blue in the Primary set and the Beautifully Grunge set is perfect for rich yet bright Northern Lights skies.  I added colour using the inks straight up – no mixing with water at all for the first step.  If you want to create a similar look you will need to blend the black ink with the other colours you use for the sky – but not much of it: it is a very strong black!

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon  ttfn Karen x








Tools
Stamp:
Sheena Douglass A5 A Little Bit Scenic: Highlands Silhouette stamp set

Machine & Dies:
Cuttlebug die cutting machine
Crafter’s Companion Die’sire Only Words Essentials: Happy Christmas

Miscellaneous Tools:
Tim Holtz distress tool (a present from my lovely OH); paintbrushes; heat gun; water

Supplies
Card Paper:
300gsm card for base
Watercolour paper
K & Co. designer paper

EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Crafter’s Companion Spectrum Noir AquaTints: Beautifully Grunge; Essentials; Perfectly Primary
Versamark IP; WOW clear detail EP
The Works Acrylic Paints: white; purple

Embellishments:
Stickles glitter glue: pink # (closest to the current colour of Thistle)
White sequins #; mini rhinestones #; clear glitter #; Mrs Grossman gold metal sticker #

Adhesives/Mediums:
Crafter’s Companion: double sided tape; Collall all purpose glue


# VOS: very old stash and no idea if still available to purchase, min. 7 years old

8 comments:

Carole Robb Bisson said...

Very creative. Thank you so much for taking time to post your very creative art with us this week at Word Art Wednesday in our 214\215th- FF AG challenge! Christmas Blessings, Carole

Karen Letchworth said...

This is awesome, Karen. I love the amazing texture on this. Thanks so much for sharing your art with us. It's always such a blessing to have you play along with us, and I always look forward to seeing your art. Have a blessed week.
Karen
Word Art Wednesday

P.S. You are also warmly welcome to stop by and play along wtih us at CropStop for a chance to win some goodies from the CropStop store. I hope you will join us there as well.
www.cropstop.com/blog

brenda said...

I can tell you had great fun with this inkiness Karen and what lush colours.

B x

brenda said...

I can tell you had great fun with this inkiness Karen and what lush colours.

B x

Pamellia Johnson said...

Hey Karen, just popped in to say I hope you had a wonderful Christmas, and I'm sending cheers for a Happy New Year! hugs :)

rachel said...

such a lovely scene karen. i adore the colours and beautiful inkiness" thanks so much for joining my challenge at cvc this month and good luck. hugs rachel x

Jo Ann said...

What a great variety of bold colors on this project. Love it! So delighted you blessed us with your project during our two-week Challenge at Word Art Wednesday. This week's Challenge is still ongoing and I hope you’ll join us again. Leaving you with God’s Word in 2 Corinthians 5:17-18 which says, “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here! All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation:” Have an awesome New Year!

JO ANN
http://jatterburycreations.blogspot.com

Meihsia Liu said...

This is such a beautiful holiday creation! Love the great colors and texture. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)