Thursday, 31 December 2015

My last 2015 Christmas Card ...

Hello my lovelies I hope you had a lovely Christmas, I can’t believe its New Years Eve already! 
Before sharing my card I want to give a shout out to some awesome artists who just happen to be very nice too.  I decided to do this because these ladies have inspired me so much that I wanted to try out a different style of card.  What I have created is nowhere near as beautiful as their art but each one of them has inspired me so my huge thanks to Pamellia, Niki, Cec, Georgie C, Sara, Kelly for sharing your gorgeous creations and for answering my questions and encouraging me along the way too.  Your art is different from each other’s and I think I managed to capture a little of each of you.  This card and the one I created for my mum which is here.
I also want to thank my friend Sarn.  When I shared some of my progress of learning to draw earlier this year she became my Cheering Squad.  Your friendship, cheering and positivity has meant more than you know dear lady.  You helped me to dig myself out from a very deep and dark hole and stopped me from giving up: thank you, thank you, thank you!
I will try to share some of what I have been drawing soon with you all, let’s just say I’m no Monet or Van Gough but I can draw.  I have the card I created for my brother and Bethan to share with you today and here it is …
  
A large card for a change, 8" square approximately 20 cm 
The pretty frame 
I loved creating it and I love the end result too, lol, I hope you like it as much as I do

Created for me and luckily fits these Challenges
Deep Ocean Challenge #119 Anything Goes 
 Fashionable Stamping Challenge #106 Make Your Own Background
Sweet Stamps Challenge December Anything Goes 
Winter Wonderland Challenge Christmas Bingo: Snowflakes; Glitter; Pearls


Normally I have in mind what I want to create; however, this card evolved a lot as I created it.  I wanted to create the background in purple (Bethan’s favourite colour).  So I stamped the snowflakes from one of my Sheena Douglass set of stamps onto an A4 sheet of card, added clear detail EP and heated the powder.  I used the purple from the Spectrum Noir Beautifully Grunge AquaTints, watered down a little and coloured the white card.  I really do love these beautifully rich paints I do lol!!!

Once that was done and put to one side to dry I needed to figure out what else I wanted to do, lol, because I was still not sure what I wanted or how I wanted it to look!  I ferreted through my Christmas embellishments and flower stash and retrieved die cuts, lilac/lavender flowers, twirly beaded thingy, berries and other bits and bobs.  The embossed panel is an old (Craftwork Cards) frame from my Christmas box.  I decided to colour some of the snowflake flowers with neat purple AquaTints.  I stamped, added clear EP and heat emboss the large and small poinsettia stamp onto white vellum and fussy cut them out. 

This was when I finally realised I wanted to keep the card mainly purple and white.  I had a lot of black with a pink gem in the middle Petaloo flowers that I wanted to use up but I don’t use much black so I changed their colour by painting with white gesso.  I added clear glitter to the black flowers and they have a lovely sparkle lol!  I also added a little white gesso to some of the other flowers and berries and added glitter to some of them, though not all, that’s a change for me, lol, I am heavy handed with glitter because I’m trying to use all of my loose glitter. 

I moved around all the separate elements until I came up with a layout and look that I really liked.  One of the last steps was to die cut a sentiment from card I had coloured purple.  I attached it to the frame and added Stickles to it.   Silver sequins here and there and I was finished.  One of the things I’ve really been worried about was if my family would like the shabby chic style finished cards (my mum’s one is here).  I needn’t have worried both mum, brother and Bethan loved them: I am very happy to say that they’ve no idea how much work goes into creating these fussy cards but they sure did love the Christmas cards I created this year lol!  You will be seeing more shabby style and clean and simple cards:  I love to do both and both of them really stretch me and my skills: YAY!!!

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon and I also want to wish you all a very and prosperous 2016 New Year: love you all!!!   ttfn Karen x









Tools
Stamp:
Sheena Douglass A5 A Little Bit Scenic: Ornate Snowflake stamp set
Premium Art Brands: Perfect Poinsettia stamp set

Miscellaneous Tools:
Paintbrushes; heat gun; pot of water

Supplies
Card Paper:
Crafter’s Companion: A4 Centura Pearl Snow White Accents
Crafter’s Companion: Craft UK 8” square cards and envelopes
White card snippets coloured purple; Parchment snippets

EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Spectrum Noir AquaTints: Beautifully Grunge
Versamark IP; WOW Clear Detail EP

Embellishments:
Wild Orchid Crafts: Spiral Stamens; Chrysanthemums; Stamens; Rose Leaves
Prima Wood Icons box set: flower coloured with white gesso and AT
Polkadoodles: Berry sticks
Ebay: silver sequins
Challenge prizes:  Round metal filigree embellishment; Flat Backed Pearls; Flower Shaped Flat Backed Pearls (no shop name)
Craftwork Cards: dry embossed frame #; Petaloo black flowers #; Brad #; Glitter: clear and lavender #; Stickles #

Adhesives/Mediums:
Crafter’s Companion: Collall all purpose glue; double sided tape


# VOS: very old stash and no idea if still available to purchase, min. 8 years old


7 comments:

SARN said...

Hi Karen . . . and a HAPPY NEW YEAR to you my friend.

What a fantastic purple and white creation with so much dimension. No wonder the recipients loved it.

THANKS for your kind words (and for making me blush!). But it's easy to encourage someone as talented as you. Keep up the good work. ALL creativity is good. I look forward to seeing what you come up with in 2016.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Di said...

Absolutely beautiful card Karen! I love all the elements you used so cleverly!

And Sarn surely is one of the very best people around, I know that only too well.

Hugs

Di xx

rachel said...

this is fabulous Karen - a lovely card - so very pretty. Big hugs Rachel xx

Maike from Maikreations said...

Love the pointsettia made of vellum! ;o) Thank you for playing along with us over at the Crafty Cardmakers & More blog! Happy crafting and a happy New Year!

Sue C said...

Beautiful card Karen ! Love the poinsettia and the delicate colour palette. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Sue C

Buttons said...

Loving the colour scheme on this one Karen and that central poinsettia is fabulous. It's lovely to hear that so many of the Frilly and Funkie team have inspired and supported you too. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

Pamellia Johnson said...

Wow Karen, this is drop dead gorgeous!! I love the soft purple tones, it's such a beautiful wintery colour when combined with all the frosty white accents! So many beautiful embellishments, I just love it!!

You are so sweet to mention me, it's a complete honour to think I may have played even a little part in this amazing creation. You are such a talented lady, keep em coming!!

Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie for our 'Holiday Hues' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)