Sunday, 31 January 2016

Time for a tag ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your weekend is going well.  I have a tag to share with you today and here it is …

  
I love creating mixed media tags, they take time to create and time to dry
A final look

Created for me and especially for these Challenges
Allsorts Challenge #348 Bring on the Bling
Anything But Cute Challenge Ring out the Old, Bring in the New listed below
 Butterfly Challenge #47 O: over the edge or U: undulating
I think this fits because my torn edge is undulating, if it doesn't I remove it
                                 Frilly & Funkie Challenge Enjoy your Embossing


I had so much fun creating this tag!  I wanted to incorporate butterflies, heat embossing, lots of flowers, lots of texture, a tag in mainly shades of blue, and if I was going to be brave I would share a part of what I had drawn or a stamped and coloured flower piece if I was going to chicken out.

Going through my box of bits, bobs and snippets I located one of the A6 hand drawn pieces I created over Christmas.  My wonderful hubby was persuaded to purchase the Spectrum Noir Aqua pens as my crafty Christmas present, during Crafter’s Companion 10th Birthday party in October as they were a really good deal.  Hubby told me to purchase them but I was not to use them before Christmas (they’ve been tormenting me and calling my name since October)!  When I got to play with them on Christmas Day I didn’t want to leave my lovely hubby by going into the craft room so I played with the pens on Christmas day because I had cut watercolour paper and white card to A6 size a couple of days before Christmas and I made sure my aqua pen was fully loaded too lol!  The next bits/bobs/snippets I located was a snippet watercolour card that had been coloured with AquaTints and I used that as the base layer for my tag.
 
Finally I have only one large box of very old embellishments and I located the black Petaloo flowers that had a fluorescent pink gem in the middle.  I hadn’t used them because I didn’t like black flowers with a fluorescent pink gem so I changed them. 

I retrieved a tag and adhered the AquaTint coloured paper to it, then I attached a Stamplorations stencil with Washi tape and added the sand texture medium down the RHS.  I painted the black flowers with turquoise acrylic and sprinkled blue glitter onto the middle of the flowers (hiding the fluorescent pink gem) and left them to dry.  Next step was to tear the drawn and coloured image in half and inked it up heavily.  I stamped and embossed the butterflies and fussy cut them out.  The tag and everything else was dry by now so I attached the drawn piece, added the butterflies along the torn edge and attached the flowers and glittered stamens to the last flower.  Finished and I was happy with the end result too.

Now that Christmas is over I’m very happy to be back playing with my mixed media supplies and some of the gorgeous new arts and crafts supplies I was gifted for Christmas.  Today’s tag used three of my new items.  The cherry on the top for me was that I feel brave enough to add part of my own artwork to this tag.  Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon  ttfn Karen x









Tools
Stamp: Stamplorations: Trendy Butterflies stamp set
Stencil: Stamplorations: Foiled Again stencil
Supplies 
Miscellaneous Tools: palette knife; paint brushes; pot of water
Card Paper: tags; Mixed Media card *
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours: Spectrum Noir Aqua pens *; DecoArt Americana acrylic: Turquoise
Embellishments:  Wild Orchid Crafts: stamens; Petaloo flowers #; blue glitter #
Adhesives/Mediums:  DecoArt Texture Sand Paste white *; Collall all purpose glue

# V.O.S. very old stash, must be 5 plus years old

* new products

19 comments:

Barb said...

Your mixed media tag is beautiful Karen. Glad you're enjoying your new pens too. Barbxx

Brenda said...

Oh my Karen, this tag is just beautiful! I so love the color combo, the stamped flowers and the punched flowers. The butterflies just complete this tag. Love, love, love! Hugs, Brenda

Pawsitively Creative said...

Looks like you got some good goodies for Christmas! I bet it was hard to wait over 2 months for those pens! Wowzers! You tag is beautiful and full of wonderful texture. Love the pop of blues with the yellows and purple. Fantabulous design and use of your new goodies! Awesome sauce.

Thanks for joining in our "Ring Out the Old, Bring in the New" challenge at Anything But Cute! Hugz. ~Niki DT

brenda said...

A stunning creation Karen and loving all the butterflies.

Many thanks for sharing with us at Allsorts this week.

B x

Jenny L said...

Hi Karen,
what wonderfully designed tags.
Great use of mixed media products, and your Aqua Pens.
I have just ordered them this week.
Thank you for joining the Butterfly Challenge.
Lots of crafty love. Jenny L. GD

SARN said...

Super looking tag Karen. Lots of fun to make.
Hugs, Sarn xxx

Sara Barker said...

Karen, I love the colors on your tag, and the way you have echoed the painted flowers on the lest with the altered flowers on the right. Just a lovely breath of fresh spring air! Thank you for sharing your new goodies with us at Ring Out the Old, Bring in the New challenge at Anything But Cute. Hugs! Sara Emily

Mrs A. said...

Love the textures and the colours on your tag. Sat and thought about undulating and suddenly realised that you'd say that looking at a range of hills in the distance they could be described as undulating! A different interpretation that I didin't originally think of so your torn undulating paper is in! Also you have flower petals just peeking out over the edge so your doubly in!!!.
I treated myself to those pens at the NEC show in november as my present to myself.
Must sweep my desk clear and find time to have a good play with them.
Thankyou for fluttering by my double challenge. Hugs.
Blogger is playing fun and games again. I had to switch to Google chrome in order to pull up your entry. Wouldn't work in windows.

Di said...

Brilliant Karen! And what a lovely hubby you have :)

Hugs

Di xx

Wendy L said...

Love it, great butterflies and flowers, thanks for joining us at Allsorts xxx

Tanja said...

love the color combo - thanks for playing along at the STAMPlorations Mixed Media Challenge

rachel said...

a lovely tag karen. so very pretty! thanks for joining us at stamps and stencils this mo.th too. hugs rachel x

Joi at RR said...

Heheheh - you hit the jackpot on Christmas, finding stash stuff and making this fabulous creations too Karen. What fun! The colors, your butterflies - just lovely. j

Vintagehandmade said...

Beautiful mixed media tag with such lovely butterflies and flowers!
Thank you so much for joining in our Oh, So Blue challenge at Stamps and Stencils! Branka DT

Samra Leshinski said...

Thank you so much for joining our Ring out the Old, Bring in the New challenge at Anything But Cute!
Hugs

Samra DT
Paper Talk with Samra

Redanne said...

It sounds like you had lots of fun Karen, playing with your patiently waited for pens. Your tag is beautiful, I love the colour tones and those butterflies are gorgeous!

Thanks so much for joining in our Ring out the Old, Bring in the New challenge at Anything But Cute. Anne DT xxx

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

I love the spring color palette you used on this lovely tag! I can tell you really had fun while making it. Great job transforming those black posies into happy spring flowers! Thanks so much for sharing with us at the Frilly & Funkie "Enjoy your Embossing" challenge!

Team Clark said...

Such a great design, love this composition! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Stamps & Stencils. Hugs, Autumn

Buttons said...

Way to go you with your own artwork Karen! Love it all! Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x