Thursday, 4 February 2016

A tag experiment #1 ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well.  I am having so much fun playing with my tags, inks, paints and gesso lol!  So here is today’s offering …
  
Love this
A final look

Created for me and especially for these Challenges
Country View Crafts Challenge Make Your Own Background
Frilly & Funkie Challenge Enjoy your Embossing
#32 Stencil Sunday February


Last year, sale time, we hit the shops to purchase new clothing for both of us.  After we returned home my lovely OH checked his were okay and came to me with a pile of board, asking if they were of any use, lol, he knows me well.  Rather than pop them in the recycling bin I hung onto a couple for me to practice techniques on (they were roughly A4 size white on one side and chipboard colour on the other).  The base of this tag was one of the experiments.  I started out drawing around the butterfly mask with a pencil on the white side of the card, then moved the mask and did the same until the card was covered with butterflies.  My next step was to colour the butterflies so I grabbed my Spectrum Noir AquaTints and coloured each row of butterflies in pink or purple.  I put it aside to dry.  The butterflies looked great so my next step was to coloured the white card between each layer and I did that with a very pale lilac/pink shade that I really watered down.  I had an issue at this point because the board didn’t like the water or wet paint.  It started to peel in places so I didn’t do anything more with it at this point.  This week I attached the usable part to a tag and starting doing more to it.  I knew it didn’t like a lot of wet but for it to work so I grabbed a baby wipe and white gesso and knocked the lilac, pink, purple colour back: and yay it worked!  I stamped and embossed the butterflies onto pink watercolour snippets and cut them out, whilst ferreting through my snippets I found one of the mini butterflies stamped with Spectrum Noir Beautifully Grunge AquaTints so I cut that out too.  All of the butterflies were a little too bright and the EP really was shining too much so I gave them the baby wipe and gesso treatment before attaching them to my tag.  I grabbed one of my Wild Orchid Crafts Chrysanthemum, originally a pale orange, SNAT Beautifully Grunge purple and coloured the flower.  It was too pretty and bold, lol, so another baby wipe, white gesso, glitter and sequins, I know, I wanted my tag to sparkle but not shine and I wanted to be the one in charge of that and breathe it was done and I am happy!

This mask was one of the re-located/found masks and products that I found when moving my craft room, I am still trying to sort it out, hate it being so untidy!  I remember purchasing several masks about six or seven years ago but when they arrived I was stumped as I thought what I had ordered was stencils, doh!  They must have been put with the ‘stuff to use when I feel more confident’ pile.  Thank goodness I found them, lol, because I loved working with this one.  I used it differently to the original intent but I have used it and I will be using it again, along with the masks that I haven’t played with yet too.

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon ttfn Karen x









Tools
Stamp: Stamplorations Trendy Butterflies stamp set
Mask:  Heidi Swapp butterfly mask #
Miscellaneous Tools: pot of water; paintbrushes; foam brush; baby wipe

Supplies 
Card Paper: manila tag; recycled card
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours: Spectrum Noir AquaTints Beautifully Grunge; The Works white gesso; silver gesso
Embellishments: sequins; Wild Orchid Crafts Chrysanthemum; glitter #
Adhesives/Mediums: Collall all purpose glue; Versamark IP


# VOS: very old stash and no idea if still available to purchase, min. 6 years old

13 comments:

Barb said...

Another beautiful tag Karen. Great colours and I love your flower. Barbxx

rachel said...

such pretty colours Karen - beautiful tags with great backgrounds! Thanks for joining us at CVC too! Big hugs rachel x

Meihsia Liu said...

Your tag is fabulous. Love the beautiful colors and embellishments. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

Monika Gulyas said...

Another beautiful piece from you, Karen! Nice textures on the flower and on the butterflies! Thanks for playing along with us in the “Make your own background" challenge at Country View Challenge blog this month!

SARN said...

Wonderful inkiness! xxx

Mona Pendleton said...

Gorgeous tag! Love all the shimmer and butterflies! Thanks for joining along with the MMMC :)

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

I can tell you had fun making this, because the joy comes through in the final product! Gorgeous colors, great use of embossing and such a pretty tag! Thanks for sharing it with us at the Frilly & Funkie enjoy your embossing challenge!

Buttons said...

I can see why you love this Karen, it's gorgeous! Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

Sue said...

This is wonderful Karen, gorgeous colours and your flower looks amazing. Thank you so much for joining in with our challenge at Country View Crafts, and have a great week. Sue xx

Sanna said...

such a beautiful tag!!!! really like this one!

Donna B. said...

A gorgeous experiment. I love the colors! Thanks so much for joining us at The Mixed Media Monthly Challenge.

Lee-Anne said...

Love how your experiment turned out, Karen! Such a gorgeous mix of colors! So happy you could join us at the STAMPlorations Mixed Media Challenge!

Rachel said...

very pretty tag! isn't gesso just the best?! love the colors, too. Thank you so much for playing with the Mixed Media Monthly Challenge!

-Rachel
rwkrafts.com