Thursday, 24 March 2016

A second journal page ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well.  I’ve had another play in my journal using lovely lush rich colours again and here it is …

 
It isn't subtle lol! I'm aching and the orange warms me
Such fun shapes!
This has some gorgeous texture too!
It's definitely a more minimal look to my usual journalling but I don't mind that!



I was going through my backgrounds folder and dug out a piece of card that I planned to bin.  I didn’t plan on rescuing it: to me it was too ugly, shades of slime green, barf green, asparagus green, then going into chrome yellow and puce yellow all the way through to salmon red/salmon orange the card had all the colours that I avoid using and the colour was saturated the whole way through too.  So off to the bin was the plan.  

Then I had a whoops moment with white gesso.  I ended up adding a thin layer of gesso onto the background.  I wanted there to be a hint of colour and the stamped detail still visible but it worked even better than I thought it would.  It’s not as if I’m running low on card stock either lol!  These experiments and whoops moment are fabulous fun though!

After several stencils and quite a bit of acrylic paint I was happy with the re-purposed background.  To me it wasn’t complete yet though.  As I had a piece of torn parchment paper on my desk I grabbed my lovely Rubber Dance Art Stamps and got to work.  I even remembered to add a little journalling and that’s something that doesn’t come easily to me but it is worth me trying to do and trying to remember to do too.  I love these stamps and I have masterboard plans for them when I have used up some of the already created stash lol!  They are yummy and I love bubbles/circles.

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon ttfn Karen x








Tools
Stamp:
Rubber Dance Art Stamps: Round in Circles stamp sheet
Stencil:
Tando Creative Stencils: sequin waste
Miscellaneous Tools:
Paintbrushes; water pot; ink blending foam

Supplies
Card Paper:
Sheena Douglass stamping card
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
The vellum:
Staz On midi ink pads: teal blue; pumpkin
The background:
I think it was stamped with an old stamp that is no longer available.  I stamped and coloured it with inks and then played with my new (at the time) Distress stains, too much rich colour and too many colours = nasty yellows/greens/oranges so I changed it using the following:

White Gesso; Orange & Yellow acrylic paint
Adhesives/Mediums:
Collall all purpose glue


12 comments:

Bibi, Rubber Dance Stamps said...

I'm glad you didn't toss it in the bin ;) Amazing what a bit of gesso and stenciling can do, isn't it? Cool parchment piece, too!
Thank you for using some of my stamps and for entering our March challenge once more ♥

Asmah Zainal Abidin said...

They say less is more and I must say your minimalist project looks amazing with all those superb circles and great orange. Thank you so much again Karen for playing along at STAMPlorations March Mixed Media Challenge. Looking forward to see what you will create next month in April challenge. Enjoy and stay positive!
Hugs&Smiles,
Asmah
STAMPlorations Mixed Media DT
Qinaahana Arts and Crafts {My Blog}

rachel said...

stunning colours!!! Beautiful work!!! Hugs xx

SARN said...

I just love your warm orange coloured page of inkiness Karen.
Fab work. Great Whoops moment! Good on you for persevering.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Inkyfingers said...

What a great lesson that you can rescue most things! I love your end result and those sunny colours are gorgeous against the vellum.
Thanks for sharing with us at Happy Little Stampers and I hope you will join us again soon.
Hugs
Carol x

Cec said...

This page is more like summer than spring with the warm colours and the stenciled flowers. Thanks for joining us at Stamps and Stencils.
Hugs!
Cec

toni said...

Lovely journal page ! I like the way you have layered the translucent paper, and the great way you have used the stamping and stencilling. Thankyou for sharing this with us over at Stamps and Stencils. Toni X

Claire said...

Love those colours, great technique too. Thanks so much for joining us at We Love 2 Create this time
Claire xx

scrappymo! said...

This looks great, Karen. I like the strong, bold shades and depth of colour you have obtained.

I have thought for quite some time that I would like to try a journal. Perhaps something along the lines of a gratitude journal. It is too easy to get swallowed up in the chasm of managing pain. so I keep a written gratitude journal of positive thoughts to keep me soldiering on along the right track!

kim TangledBlueRose said...

I love the warm color Karen. The circles are wonderful and such beautiful texture. Wonderful page! Thanks so much for playing at STAMPlorations Mixed Media Challenge!~kim

ionabunny said...

Lovely colours and textures. Thanks for joining the Rubber Dance challenge. Hugz

Susan said...

Love the vibrant orange and the great patterning. Thanks for joining us at Happy Little Stampers.