Tuesday, 1 March 2016

House of Cards March Challenge ...


Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well.  It’s the beginning of a new month and at the House of Cards that means a new challenge theme.  This month we would like you to create a card that is inspired by the Word Cue which is Silhouette. 
It took me a few goes to come up with a card that I was happy with.  My first two ideas didn’t look as good as I would like, lol, so I was a bit later creating this than I normally am and the bonus of that means that I could also create something that fits several of the current challenges and here it is …

I went big; 148mm square is a big card for me these days
It's not for posting so I was able to add lots of embellishments 
I do love playing with different supplies! 
By some miracle I caught a little of the Spectrum Noir Sparkle pen! 
I love this sentiment - it's perfect for many different occasions 
A pretty pink bouquet
A final look

Happily it also fits these Challenges
Frilly & Funkie Challenge Layer it Up 
Inky Chicks Challenge #63 Ribbon &/or Lace
Kort O Mania Challenge #148 Bingo Flowers – Design – Gesso – Text
the butterfly and the sentiment are left overs from other projects
Simon Says Stamps Monday Challenge Leap into the Unknown 
My Leap is loving and embracing mixed media techniques and 
I created a MM BG and the way I created the butterfly is a first for me!
Stamps & Stencils Challenge Splatter, Spritz & Smoosh 
The Ribbon Girl Challenge February Use Any Image
We Love to Create Challenge #5 Anything Goes
Word Art Wednesday Challenge #220 Anything Goes


I shared this card after watching two videos from Eileen about her take on the gesso resist technique.  I made another background and I used minimal stencils this time lol!  Today’s card has several different mixed media techniques and I had so much fun too.

#1 the background: I created a background using stencils and gesso (gesso resist).  I attached a stencil to a piece of card with Washi tape.  I plopped some gesso onto my craft mat and used a piece of ink blending foam to dab the gesso through the stencil/stencils.  I left it to dry naturally because I didn’t any gesso bubbles.  Once dry I coloured with Spectrum Noir AquaTints.

#2 butterfly & sentiment: I used a snippet of white card and coloured it pale pink (I created a pale pink wash from the pink in Beautifully Grunge AquaTints).  Once it was dry I stamped the sentiment and used my paper trimmer to cut off that strip.  I attached the butterfly stencil and coloured inside it with a paintbrush and pure pink AquaTints.  I then made a bit of an error by cutting it down a little too much but I still really liked it so once dry I re-attached the stencil and ‘drew’ around the butterfly with a Spectrum Aqua pen.  I went over the butterfly with my clear Spectrum Sparkle pen and added a layer of Glossy Accents.  The butterfly and sentiment were left to dry whilst I coloured the flowers.

#3 I coloured some cream coloured roses with the watered down pink AquaTints and put to one side to dry.

#4 I played around with the layout, distressed the edges of the pink AquaTints pieces and glued the flat layers on.  I wrapped the stems of the flowers with ribbon and stuck it onto the card: done!

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do this week ttfn Karen x










Tools
Stamp: Tim Holtz stamp
Stencil: 
Dreamweaver aluminium stencil: butterfly
Dutch Doobadoo stencil: A5 Circles
Stamplorations stencils: confetti circles; bloom silhouettes 
Miscellaneous Tools:
Heat tool; paintbrushes; pipettes; ink blending foam

Supplies
Card Paper:
300 gsm card; snippets Crafter’s Companion Sheena Douglass card; clear vellum
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
The Works white gesso
Spectrum Noir AquaTints: Beautifully Grunge; Landscape
Spectrum Noir Sparkle: Clear overlay pens
Spectrum Aqua pen: from the Floral pack
Embellishments:
Wild Orchid Crafts: small roses; pink hip rosebuds; baby pink spiral stem
Baby pink bow; ribbon I won from a lovely Blogger called Hazel
Adhesives/Mediums:
Washi tape; Collall all purpose glue; Ranger Glossy Accents

23 comments:

Merethe Arstein said...

Very sweet card Karen. Lovely colors and sentiment. So fun to see all you girls creations and howe diffrent they are on the same theme.

(✿*‿*) Ma (Merethe)
Teamie HOC
http://majaapia.blogspot.no/

rachel said...

this is so pretty! i love the colours karen! thanks for joining us at stamps and stencils too! hugs rachel x

Michele Henderson said...

Very pretty card! I like the bright and cheerful colors!
Take care!
Michele

Emily Dee said...

This is beautiful! I love the soft watercolor look, great job!

Toni said...

so so pretty! I love that you used pink for your silhouette--I always think black!

Mynn Kitchen said...

Karen, WOW! This is absolutely GORGEOUS! The pinks are wonderful--and your coloring of the image into a silhouette was genius! Sending HUGS! :) Mynn xx

Sally H said...

A gorgeous card, Karen! I love it!

Carole Robb Bisson said...

What a wonderful layout and pinks. The flowers are sweet. Thank you so much for joining our 220th challenge at Word Art Wednesday. Your creation is inspiring and very beautiful. Blessings, Carole

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

I can tell you had some good inky fun making this pinkalicious card! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at the Frilly and Funkie "Layer it Up" Challenge!

Di said...

Really pretty card Karen - and of course I love that it's pink!

Lovely to see you in the Playground!

Hugs

Di xx

Gina Knott said...

Such a lovely card and I love the flower arrangement.Thank you for joining us at the Ribbon Girl, good luck and I hope you will join us again.
Hugs
Gina xx
http://www.ribbongirl.co.uk/catalog/

Teresa Kline said...

gorgeous watercolored butterfly! so glad you played along with us at simon says stamp wednesday challenge!

sparkle & shine, kindness *~*

Barb said...

What a beautiful card Karen. I love that bright pink butterfly. Barbxx

Team Clark said...

This is GORGEOUS! I love, love the gorgeous watercolory butterfly!!!

Tracy Freeman said...

Hello lovely :) how are you ? hope you are doing ok.
Well this is so pretty ! beautiful colours and YAY you caught the sparkle...tricky isn't it lol
Sending hugs sweetie xxx have a great weekend xxx

Sara Barker said...

Such beautiful colors and I love that flower spray! Pretty little watery butterfly! Hugs!

Sue C said...

Lovely card Karen, the colour is beautiful ! Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie. Sue C x

Maura Hibbitts said...

Just lovely, Karen! The bright pink theme is perfect for our approach of spring! Love the flowers! Thanks for "taking a leap into the unknown" with us this week at the Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge!

Katy said...

Hi Karen! This card is beautiful! I love how you did the silhouette in pink! So creative! I love the flowers and the word serendipity too. :) Hugs! Katy HOC Teammate :)

FiestyCrafter (Tina) said...

Beautiful and stunning! Love how the pink really pops :o)

Dotty Jo x said...

This is such a lovely card, Karen! I'm such a girly girl that I love the pink and the butterfly soooooo much. Hun, you might want to check your link on the group post as I had to search for this post rather than being taken straight to it. Hugs to you, Jo x HOC/DT friend.

Susan Renshaw said...

Thanks for all the instructions...must have a go at gesso resist...
Love the pinks and the butterfly!
Fabulous make for the House of Cards!
Susan
Teamie
Calling All Crafters! – My personal Blog!

Em Louise Fairley said...

Beautiful card, Karen.
Hugs,
Em, HOC teamie