Tuesday, 22 March 2016

Journal, spring, water ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your weekend was a good one and your week is going to be awesome!  Before getting to my post today I just wanted to say thank you.  Your lovely comments about my lilac project last week: meant that you made me smile very big last week and I am very grateful for that. 
I had an awful realisation last week and that was that it has been a very long time since I played in my journal and as I had some projects that were drying as well as new stamps waiting to be played with I decided it was time …

   
It was good to play and to create just for me too and such warm colours too

 
Sadly it doesn't show but the flowers have some gorgeous shine

  
I love the stamped circles around the edges, I added them after I had adhered the panel on the background.  I struggled to photograph the background, must try harder!

 
A final look

Created for me and especially for these Challenges 
Anything But Cute Challenge #11 Crazy for Colour



I used all the colours and more

Stamps & Stencils Challenge Spring is in the Air

I used the colours and orange on my topper


I created the bottom layer using watercolours.  I started by adding a layer of water to the card because I wanted the colours to blend.  I mixed up washes of yellow and orange watercolours and applied colour here and there across the card.  I left that to dry whilst getting on with the next step.

I got my favourite stamp from the flower garden stamp set out and coloured it with my Spectrum Aqua pens and stamped them onto another piece of white card.  I used a damp paint brush to colour the flowers, stems and leaves and blasted it with my heat tool.  I knew I wanted to use my AquaTints for the next step and I ummed and ahhed about what to do.  In the end I applied a layer of Pebeo masking fluid to the flower, leaves and stems and left it to dry see below for comments about Pebeo masking fluid.  Once the masking fluid was dry I mixed up a couple of washes using my AquaTints and then coloured the sky and ground with the blue, green and pink.  I left that to dry, rubbed the masking fluid off: simples and I was astounded!

As the background of lemon and orange was now dry I got my stencils out and using two of them I added layers of Pumice Stone and Milled Lavender distress ink using my ink blending foam and I dried it completely with my heat tool.  I then grabbed my midi Staz On ink pads and randomly stamped the images from this glorious and gorgeous stamp set.  As the flower topper was dry I decided to add some Ranger Glossy Accents to the flowers.  This has given them a lovely glossy look and added some much needed texture to the page.   I have recently realised that I have thing for circles, as in circle designs lol!  I trimmed everything up and popped it into my journal!

I have been asked before about what brand of masking fluid I use and where I purchase it.  I’m very careful to do the prep required to use masking fluid, I learnt how to use it properly from a watercolour artist who also taught, how to be careful opening and closing the bottle, how to use a cheap brush which should be usable again and how easy it is to rub off the page.  Last year I purchased three bottles of masking fluid, not cheap masking fluid, they were from a ‘proper’ art name, I won’t name it, £6 per bottle.  Two of the bottles dried out within a week of opening and the final one stank, mould on top when I opened it so that went into the bin too.  All three of them ruined the paintbrushes.  So glad I used cheap old ones to apply it with!

Anyways when I heard Sheena talking about Pebeo masking fluid I was very sceptical.  I purchased it from EBay.  If you use masking fluid then I recommend Pebeo masking fluid.  I washed my brush out with water, it rubbed off the card without taking a layer of colour or card (which the cheap ones had) and my paintbrush is usable!

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon ttfn Karen x









Tools
Stamp:
Rubber Dance Art Stamps: Round in Circles stamp sheet
Tim Holtz: Flower Garden stamp set
Stencil:
Tando Creative Stencils: sequin waste; ink splats
Miscellaneous Tools:
Paintbrushes; water pot; spray bottle of water

Supplies
Card Paper:
Sheena Douglass stamping card
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
The flower panel:
Spectrum Aqua Floral pens: leaf green; bud green
Spectrum Aqua Primary pens: yellow; gold
Spectrum Noir AquaTints: Beautifully Grunge (pink in the sky) & Landscape (blue sky, greens) sets
The background:
Watercolour paints
Tim Holtz Distress ink pads: milled lavender; pumice stone
Staz On midi ink pads: teal blue; pumpkin
Adhesives/Mediums:
Collall all purpose glue; Pebeo masking fluid; Ranger Glossy Accents


21 comments:

Mrs A. said...

I love these colours on your journal page and thanks for the tip about the masking fluid. I know what to buy now. Hugs Mrs A.

Bibi, Rubber Dance Stamps said...

Beautiful, Karen! I love the watercolour effect on the flowers! Thank you for using some of my circle stamps and for entering our March challenge at Rubber Dance ♥
PS: Thanks for the masking fluid tip!

Sara Barker said...

Karen your journal page is gorgeous! I love those stamps (flowers), but never did get them. Your color choices are just perfect and those little circles really help to tie the panel into the background. I've never used masking fluid before, so it's great to have a mental note of which to use.

While I'm here, I will say thank you for joining our Crazy For Color challenge at Anything But Cute. Hugs!

Vintagehandmade said...

Absolutely beautiful art journal page! Love your vibrant colours and those awesome flowers! Great job!
Thank you so much for joining in our Crazy For Colour challenge at Anything But Cute! Branka DTxx

Sandma's Handmade Cards said...

You've done a wonderful job here Karen. I think your journal page looks amazing and I really like the colours that you've used Thank you for taking the time to explain how you achieved the finished project. X

brenda said...

So beautifully vibrant with those lovely colours Karen, the sunflowers are lovely and the watercolours effects created. I use Pebeo masking fluid as well, it's the best I've ever found and so quick to dry.

B x

SARN said...

Lovely journaling Karen.

Now, that's very interesting info about the masking fluid. I got the "artist" brand £6 one for Xmas and I haven't even opened it yet! Will be interesting to see what happens when I do! At least I know the Pebeo one is okay if the arty one is rubbish.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

The Bearded Bookworm said...

Beautiful page, I love the flowers :)

Tracy Freeman said...

Hello lovely,
This is so pretty, the background and that flower look amazing.
Sending hugs xxx

cuilliesocks said...

Just so beautiful Karen, your colours are gorgeous, love it, Kate x

rachel said...

wonderful page Karen and good to hear your experience with the masking fluid - thankyou. Hugs rachel x

Brenda said...

What a gorgeous page for your journal Karen! I love the beautiful colors and of course those beautiful flowers. I haven't ever tried masking fluid yet but if I ever do I know what to buy thanks for you! Hugs, Brenda

Toni said...

wow, wow, wow! This is amazing! You are rocking the watercolor and stenciling so much! Thanks for sharing!

Toni
HLS CAS and MM DT

Pawsitively Creative said...

Absolutely awesome sauce and vibrant design! Wonderous choices of the stamped and the circles add the perfect finishing touch. Now this masking fluid you speak of is new to me. I am I intrigued and will have to learn more. Fantabulous journal!

Thanks for joining our "Crazy for Colour" challenge at Anything But Cute! Hugz. ~Niki DT

Cec said...

Love the gorgeous watercolouring and all the fun stenciling. Thanks for joining us at Anything But Cute.
Hugs!
Cec

nitisartfromheart.bloggspot.no said...

This was awesome, Karen! I love the watercolour flowers. I do also have a thing for circles, there is something about it that circles ties together - no beginning no ends ☺
Thanks for joining Rubber Dance March Challenge!
Hugs, Anita ♥

Kaz said...

Love the watercolouring. Thanks for joining us at Tando x

Kristiina Majuri said...

Lovely spring flowers! Good luck with the Rubber Dance challenge :)

ionabunny said...

Lovely flowers and colours. I love that big orange spiral stamped in the background and how you have the smaller linked circles crossing from the background to the foreground. Lovely page. Thanks for joining the Rubber Dance challenge. Hugz

Carol Plume said...

what a lovely piece - thank you for sharing at Tando Creative.

Linda said...

This is stunning! The colours look amazing and I love those flowers. Thank you for playing along with the Happy Little Stampers Mixed Media challenge xx