Wednesday, 16 March 2016

Purple, triples & rust ... (lots of photo's and step by step)

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well.  
If you visiting from a Design Team please feel free to jump to the challenge list and then the bottom of this post to check that I have used the right materials (if necessary).  Believe me when I say you don’t need to read through my steps.  They are here for me as a visual and written reminder for me.
I have one of my mixed media projects to share with you, I was talking about this last week, I am so happy I finally finished it and here it is …

A 20cm square hanging
Thankfully I was able to use a lot of embellishments lol!
My favourite butterfly stamp and word stamp
 
I love these stamps! Lots of serendipity!
Second butterfly coloured with acrylic paint and added rusty spots & I used loads of embellishments!
  
Hubby purchased the long stem rosebuds when they were a special offer:it is a big pack, lol, you can just about see the metal and crystal stem at the bottom RHS of the photo of the long stem roses.
Lots of mulberry paper flowers were used and I made a dent in my purple glitter too!  
 
The third butterfly, one of the purple blossoms (see the rust in the middle) and a metal flower
Rusty wooden flower and rusty blossom
A final look

Created for me and especially for these Challenges
 Substrate: Board Main Colour: Lilac or pale purple
Technique: Rust Effects Product: Something metal
I created my own rust paint which I have added to the three large blooms on the RHS,
to the sweetheart blossom, the wooden flower and splats.
I added a metal and crystal stem to the bouquet and a metal flower to the LHS.
I created a rust panel on the LHS: hope that’s okay?!

 Altered Eclectics Challenge Anything Goes 
Anything But Cute Challenge #11 Crazy for Colour
Clique Kits March Challenge Anything Goes: I am not sure if this challenge is for layouts only: if it is please let me know and I will remove my entry.
Frilly & Funkie Challenge Let’s Make It A Trio
I made sure that there are three butterflies; three large blooms; and three lots of flower embellishments; three dots of white acrylic repeated across the whole piece




After I saw some of my favourite March challenges I wanted to create another off the page project and to link it up certain challenges too.  The one thing I know right now is that I am a slow would be mixed media artist/apprentice lol!  It takes me time but I love it and an added bonus is that I can create cards for other challenges whilst I am waiting for the paint to dry lol! 

There are five mixed media artists that have been very kind and wonderfully sharing and helping me.  Sarn, Pamellia, Sara Emily, Niki and Georgie have happily answered questions about style, techniques and products on more than one occasion and have helped me when I’ve asked without any annoyance and I am very grateful to all of you for that. 

I had planned to create a card but this project evolved as I was creating it.  There is a very long list of products, lots of steps and no doubt waffle, lol.  I’ve found myself more and more drawn to Pamellia’s shabby chic mixed media style and a couple of weeks ago I set up a board just for those shabby chic mixed media projects.  It was after I had pinned many of them that I decided to create a shabby chic mixed media hanging instead of a card.  I have experimented with shabby chic cards but they don’t look right to me.  Heavily inked or painted with minimal layers is my card style, most of the time.   

I’ve tried to list the order of work below but I may have missed some of the details because I didn’t think to take photographs as I created this.  So here are my rough steps and the order that I think I did them in.

1.  I cut an A4 sheet of chipboard to a 20cm square piece which was going to be the base of my hanging.  I experimented by gluing on a sheet of ugly paper.  I knew I was going to cover the base to because I wanted to minimise the ink and paint from soaking into the chipboard, stick to gesso in future. 
2.  I used Tim Holtz woodgrain layering stencil with purple Beautifully Grunge purple AT.  I used a damp paintbrush so the colour didn’t spread too much, then left to dry.
3.  I cut A4 Sheena Douglass card to A5 size.  I cut a piece of white mesh to roughly the same size which I then coloured with purple Beautifully Grunge AT and left to dry.
4.  I stamped the butterfly image onto a white card snippet.  I used the purple from my Beautifully Grunge AT and the lighter blue from the Landscape AT to colour the butterfly. 
5.  The white mesh was dry so I put a dollop of glue onto the A5 white Sheena card and pushed the mesh into and left it to dry.  I like adding fabric because of the added texture.
6.  I used the rest of the A4 card and coloured that with pink and purple Beautifully Grunge AT.  I used the silver and white from the Essentials AT and splattered them onto the card.
7.  The base layer was dry so I used white acrylic paint and a wide paintbrush to create a whitewashed wood look to the base and left to dry.
8.  The glue was dry on the card with mesh so I used purple Pebeo acrylic paint to colour from the outside edges inward for about 2cm only and put aside to dry. 
9.  I used two white card snippets which I coloured with pink and purple ATs, put aside to dry.
10. Stamped the sentiment onto vellum snippet and carefully dried with my heat gun, put aside.
11. I left all the layers to dry and got my embellishments out to work out what I wanted to use and how much I wanted to use as well as work out their placement before altering them.
12. Once I was happy with the layout I made a note of their placement, OMGEE I remembered to do it!  I then removed them: of course I could have, with hindsight, taken a photograph lol.
13. I started to play with AquaTints, acrylic paints, gloss mediums and glitter. 
14. I completely coloured the wooden butterfly, the wooden flowers, the leaf and the beaded spiral with purple acrylic paint and put them aside to dry.
15. I coloured the three large cream blooms (LHS), the large chrysanthemum, all the lilies, the top of the rosebuds, the bead stamens and the fabric bow with pink and purple AT and put aside to dry.
16. I added a little smidge of the purple acrylic paint to the edges of the wooden heart and left to dry.
17. I added a little purple AT to the fabric sparkling butterfly and put aside to dry.
18. Next I put glue on one of the wooden flowers and the leaf and added glitter to it, I left it to dry.
19. I mixed glossy medium with glitter to create a layer of clear glitter gloss.  I have done this in the hope that the glitter on the hanging will not shed too much (another experiment lol!).  I added the glitter gloss to the stamped and coloured butterfly, all of the paper flowers, the glittered wooden flower and leaf, and I added a little onto the wooden heart and put the sparkly button in the middle of it.
20. I don’t have anything much in the way of rust and was really happy when I found a Perfect Pearls in rust in my box of use it up supplies.  So I mixed silver acrylic paint with Perfect Pearls rust until I was happy.  I completely covered one of the wooden flowers, one sweetheart blossom, and three large blooms top RHS and some little spots to the purple wooden butterfly.
21. I coloured the thorax of the butterfly and a pearl metal stem black and left them to dry.
22. Then I started to play again, putting most of the flowers in the same position that I had tried, the only thing that differed was the pearl spiral stem and the long rosebuds.  I put them together to create a layered bunch and added the spiral bead stem before trimming the wires.  A final last minute addition was the crystal stem to the bouquet.
23.  I added a little silver metal flower.  I used silver because I have used that throughout the creation, a metal flower because I love flowers and the moonstone in the middle is my favourite gem stone.
24. I added three dots of white gesso paint across the hanging.
25.  The final touch was to spray some silver mist (created with AquaTint’s) and I splattered white acrylic paint and rust acrylic paint here and there to give it some shimmer and added texture.


I don’t think this will be leaving our home!  Not simples in any way whatsoever but I do love the end result and all the processes I used and learnt about.  Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do this soon ttfn Karen x










Tools
Stamp: Tim Holtz: Perspective stamp set; Serendipity wooden stamp #
Stencil: Tim Holtz Layering Stencil Woodgrain
Miscellaneous Tools: paintbrushes; heat gun; pipettes; water pot; craft mat; paint palette

Supplies
Card Paper:
Country View Crafts: A4 chipboard
Crafter’s Companion A4 and snippets Sheena Douglass card
30cm square DP #; snippet vellum

EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Spectrum Noir AquaTints: Beautifully Grunge; Essentials; Landscape
Ranger Archival IP: black; plum
Perfect Pearls: Rust
Winsor & Newton Galeria acrylic paint: Black
The Works: white acrylic paint
Pebeo purple acrylic paint
Artiste: silver acrylic paint

Embellishments:
Hobbycraft: white mesh fabric
The Ribbon Girl: wooden heart; crystal heart button
Prima: two wooden flowers; wooden leaf
Wild Orchid Crafts flowers: one Sweetheart Blossom; Lilies; Hip Rosebuds; Spiral Stamen; White Colour Long Stem Stamens; stamens
Glitter #; Fabric Butterfly #; Wooden Butterfly #; Metal Flower Charm #; Crystal Metal Stem #; paper leaves #

Adhesives/Mediums:
Maimeri Glossy Gel; Collall all purpose glue

# VOS: very old stash and no idea if still available to purchase, min. 3 years old


38 comments:

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous Karen, love how you incorporated our ingredients into your lovely design. Great textural piece and I love how,you embellished. Thanks so much for joining in A Vintage Journey birthday challenge. Tracy x

Brenda said...

Wow Karen! I love this mixed media project!! So beautiful. I also love the "serendipity" on it. We grow serendipity sweet corn and it is the best corn you have ever tasted! lol Hugs, Brenda

Sara Barker said...

Wow, Karen! I actually caught a glimpse of your thumbnail at A Vintage Journey,and then on just about every challenge I entered, so I couldn't wait to come by and see this beauty up close! You did an amazing job with the contents of the travel bag! I love your big butterfly and those splatters! Very well done! Thank you for your sweet shout out! Hugs!

Vintagehandmade said...

A wonderful mixed media piece with so many awesome spring - inspired elelments! Love it! Thank you so much for joining in our Crazy For Colour challenge at Anything But Cute! Branka DTx

brenda said...

What a real beauty Karen, lovely soft shades of lilac with hints of gold and sepia and the whole piece has an ethereal feel to it, I love it.

B x

toni said...

Fabulous project with so many gorgeous details. Love your flowers and butterflies nestling into that gorgeous colourful background. Thankyou for sharing this with us over at Stamps and Stencils! Toni x

SARN said...

What a FANTASTIC work of art you've produced here Karen. Really top notch. Gorgeous colours and thanks for sharing all the info on how it was created.

You're a star.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

SARN said...

Oh, and bless you for the shout out too hun xxx

Tracy Freeman said...

Karen i do not blame you for not wanting this to leave, it is beautiful, i loved reading through all the stamps and seeing how much went into it. A truly lovely piece, i love it.
I hope you are well ? sending hugs xxx

Pamellia Johnson said...

Wow Karen, I am completely blown away with this beauty!! I just adore all the amazing shades of purple you have included, the touches of magenta and blues really make this palette dreamy! There are just so many elements here that I love. The butterflies, the flowers, the textures, the glitters...you have knocked it out of the park!! I thank you so much for the kind words Karen. It's an honour to be even a small part of your inspiration!!

Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie for our 'Let's Make it a Trio' challenge, and also for joining us at Anything But Cute for our 'Crazy For Colour' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

rachel said...

brilliant make and such a detailed post Karen - I can't wait to have a go at this one - the AVJ! Gorgeous! Hugs rachel x

Redanne said...

Wow Karen, if I had created a beauty like this, it certainly would not be leaving my house either!! I just love the mix of colours, the beautiful flowers, the texture and that gorgeous focal butterfly - it really is a stunner (the whole piece).

Thanks so much for joining in our Crazy for Colour challenge at Anything But Cute!

Thank you too for joining in our birthday celebrations at A Vintage Journey! Anne xx

Redanne said...

P.S. I meant to say - wonderful step by steps too!

Pawsitively Creative said...

Wowzers! Where do I begin because there is so much loveliness to take in. Fantabulous use of all the embellies, I bet you had a blast! Hehe! Your DH did wonderfuk again with the flowers. So many different purples which results in major eye candy! Ohhhh that mesh! Such awesome sauce texures abound in this gem. Wowzers!

Thanks for joining in our "Crazy for Colour" challenge at Anything But Cute! Hugz! ~Niki DT

Team Clark said...

Well, this is just the prettiest thing I've seen! Every last detail is yummy, yummy altered deliciousness. Awesome work! Hugs, Autumn

Wheelie Crafty said...

Wow Karen this is spectacular, I love the colours and the butterflies, well actually all of it... Thank you so much for entering our challenge over at Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge Blog, we hope to see you join in again...

Hugs Rhonda DT & Owner xxx
http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.co.uk

Maura Hibbitts said...

Karen, this is fabulous! I don't think I would have thought to pair purple and rust, but it looks brilliant the way you have done it. This is one gorgeous piece!!

Maura Hibbitts said...

Thanks for stopping over Karen! I've been trying new color palettes, and am surprised with loving the results, so keep working out of your comfort zone!! and keep going with the mixed media, you have a knack for it!!

Judy McKay said...

Stunning canvass. Pretty colours and gorgeous details. Thank you for joining us at Altered Eclectics this month. Hope to see you back here again soon. Judy DT

Brenda Brown said...

A fabulous result including all those beautiful elements together. Thanks for sharing your fabulous project at A Vintage Journey. xx

Jenny Marples said...

Absolutely LOVE what you've created here Karen and I can well see why it won't be going anywhere - a definite keeper!!! Thank you for joining us at A Vintage Journey and at Frilly and Funkie with this fantastic project. Jenny x

Debbie said...

wow, just beautiful, love the colours
thanks for joining our challenge over at
http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.com.au/
Debbie Dt

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful! What a wonderful mix of the Vintage Journey recipe bag and the trio's from our challenge! Gorgeous design! Thanks for playing along with the Frilly and Funkie "Let's make it a trio" Challenge!

Samra Leshinski said...

WOW! This is breathtaking project!
Thank you so much for joining our Crazy for Colors challenge at Anything But Cute!
Samra DT
Paper Talk with Samra

Pammejo said...

Beautiful mixed media canvas...love all the layers and textures along with the depth of colors. Thank you for sharing your step outs with us. Thanks for joining us for our Emerald Creek Challenge.

Paradise Lost said...

How absolutely gorgeous! So many lovely layers and beautiful purple tones.
Thank you for joining us at Emerald Creek Dares
{julia}

Kim Oedekoven said...

What attention to detail! You have a great gift! Thank you for playing along with us over at Clique Kits!

Zoe Hillman said...

This is gorgeous Karen. Love the layers and the lilac and butterflies! Thanks for joining us over at Frilly and Funkie for the "Let's make it a trio" challenge. :)

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Oooh! This is purpleicious! Love all the wonderful dimension and glorious inkiness of this pretty assemblage! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Frilly & Funkie "Let's Make it a Trio" Challenge!

Cec said...

Gorgeous project. Love how you carried the purple theme throughout but used different shades and tones to give it character along with some wonderful texture. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie.
Hugs!
Cec

I'm just a simple gal said...

Beautiful work. Thanks for linking up to CK!

Aliza said...

I love the shades of blue and purple! Thanks for joining in the Clique Kits challenge!

Donna Espiritu said...

Really pretty card. thanks for playing along with Clique Kits!

Sara Barker said...

Congratulations on your Top Pick at Frilly and Funkie! Woo Hoo and well done! Hugs!

Julia S-W said...

Wonderful colour and texture on this lovely piece. You have used the contents of the travel bag to perfection.Thank you so much for joining us at A Vintage Journey. Julia S-W x

Carol said...

This is fabulous work Karen, I love it. Thanks for sharing with us at STAMPlorations Stencil Sunday challenge too. Carol DT x

Justt said...

amazing!! I'd really like to make soo mixed media project but I just simply can't! Thank you for playing along with Clique Kits!

Candace Perkins said...

So intricate! Beautiful! Thanks for playing along with Clique Kits anything goes challenge!