Tuesday, 26 April 2016

April journalling ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well.  I made some time to play in my journal and I created two new A5 journal pages: whoop whoop!!  Here is the first one …

Love my birds!
Lots of ink and paint
  
The birds!
Here is my second page …

Lots of detail and texture 
More ink and paint
The flowers and butterfly
I need to practice my definition lines!
The butterfly, love her!
A final look at the flowers & birds
A final look at the butterfly & flowers

Created for me and especially for these Challenges


#40 April Stencil Sunday



I’ve been playing with shades of blue, pink, yellow, purple and white more this must.  I must have been inspired by spring lol!  Both of these pages were fun to create and it felt good to get mucky creating something that is just for me and about me.  I had an A4 piece of card that I had mopped up excess AquaTints onto and I used that for both journal pages.  I cut the card into two A5 pieces and started to experiment.

On the first page I allowed myself to go with the flow, just grabbing stencils and paints and going with it.  On this page I used the paints as is, not watered down at all and because I was careful not to completely cover the ATs you can still see some of the colour behind the gesso and acrylics.  Some parts of the first page have more paint than other parts.

On the second page I allowed myself to think about it a bit more before adding acrylic medium and paints.  I watered down the white gesso and the other colours of acrylic paint before applying them through my stencils.  It was a worthwhile experiment as I am surprised at the difference in these two pages and that’s caused by watering down the acrylics.  The second journal page includes my drawn and coloured flowers which I am happy with lol!  I’m not used to saying ‘my own drawings that I am happy with’ lol.  In fact, shucks, I feel shy saying it.  The Spectrum Aqua pens were a Christmas present from my lovely hubby and I sat on the sofa Christmas Day playing with them, trying them out and I am happy with my pretty little flowers.

Both of the finished journal pages look good, well to me, they aren’t even or perfect and I love that fact.  However I am surprised to be saying this but at the moment I prefer the second page more.  It is much more even and less lumpy although it still has texture and that’s the one I prefer.  However I know that may change the next time lol!

Whilst waiting for the acrylic paints to dry on both pages I started to go through my pile of stamped and coloured images, my drawn images, and all my other bits and bobs as I knew I wanted to add more detail to both.  On the first page I decided to add Washi tape to the RHS of the page and I found two stamped and coloured Crazy Birds and I put them aside to add to the page too.  I cut mesh to approximately 140mm x 200mm, found my drawn and coloured panel and my stamped and coloured butterfly.  Once the backgrounds were dry I played with layout and then stuck everything in position: simples lol!

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon ttfn Karen x










Tools
Stamps:
Tim Holtz: Bird Crazy stamp set; Perspective stamp set
Stencils:
Stamplorations stencils: gridlocked; wild flowers 
Tando Creative stencil: sequin waste
Tim Holtz Layering Stencil: wood grain
Miscellaneous Tools: heat tool; paintbrushes; pipettes; palette; water pot; sponge

Supplies
Card Paper: Card: Crafters Companion A4 Sheena Douglass card
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Spectrum Noir: Beautifully Grunge AquaTints; Aqua pens
DecoArt Americana paint: pink; teal
The Works: white acrylic paint
Pebeo: blue acrylic paint (it looks purple)
Gold EP #; Black EP #
Adhesives/Mediums: The Works: white gesso; Versamark IP; Washi tape #
Other: Hobbycraft: white mesh

# VOS: very old stash and no idea if still available to purchase, min. 8 years old

15 comments:

rachel said...

these are brilliant Karen - really wonderful pages both - big hugs Rachel x

Rainey's Craft Room said...

Doing a bit of catching up on some commenting, you have been very busy, lots of projects posted lately and this recent journal page is gorgeous. I love those quirky looking birds and your textured background.
Lorraine

Cec said...

Wonderful journal pages. Love the floral page with the texture behind the centre panel and that big butterfly coming in for a landing. Thanks for joining us at Anything But Cute.
Hugs!
Cec

brenda said...

Both journal pages are super Karen, I do like the funky birds as they always make me smile, but as you might guess as there are also butterflies and flowers to chose from they pip it to the post.

B x

SARN said...

Oh it's so good to play in your art journal isn't it? All the fun of getting inky and messy and then get a FAB result! Love these two pages Karen.

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Cara said...

I love the muted colours of the first page and those cheery flowers on the second are fab. Cara x

Sara Barker said...

Gorgeous journal pages with some of my favorite colors! Your butterfly looks so pretty flitting about! Thank you for joining our Earth Day challenge at Anything But Cute. Hugs! Sara Emily DT

The Bearded Bookworm said...

Both lovely pages! Particularly like the butterfly, beautiful!

Tanja said...

love the color combo - thanks for sharing your project at the Happy Little Stampers Mixed Media Challenge

Sid said...

Fab pages Karen !

Carol said...

Two wonderful journal pages Karen. Thanks for joining the STAMPlorations Mixed Media challenge this month and also the HLS mixed media challenge. Carol DT x

Pawsitively Creative said...

Well I for one would be stoked with the drawings as well because you did an amazing job on the flowers and your DH added to the mix when he got those markers for you! Those birds crack me up! Awesome sauce and Fantabulously Earthy design. That butterfly is spectacular!

Thanks for joining our "Earth Day" challenge at Anything But Cute! Hugz! ~Niki DT

Samra Leshinski said...

Thank you for joining our Earth Day challenge at Anything But Cute!
Samra DT
Paper Talk with Samra

rachel said...

Just popping back Karen to say thanks for joining us at Countryview challenges and good luck! Hugs rachel x

Susan said...

Love both of them! Especially the one with the butterfly - great mixed media! Thanks for joining us at Happy Little Stampers.