Sunday, 3 April 2016

It's hip to be square ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your weekend is going well here is the card I want to share with you today …

  
A 148mm square card not for posting!
This was so much fun to create!
I appear to be having a fling with this set of stamps lol!

 

 
I hit the embellishment stash very hard, still got loads left though!

A final look

Created for me and especially for these Challenges
Butterfly Challenge #51 Butterflies & Margins &/or Mint
I chose to celebrate spring by using pastel colours and all things floral 
Simon Says Stamps Monday Challenge We Can See Clearly 
That’s Crafty Challenge All Things Bright & Beautiful
 Vintage Stamping Challenge #42 Lots of Layers: there are five
We Love 2 Create Challenge #7 Anything Mixed Media Goes 


I am hoping that I have finally got and done it, as in, the fact that I think this is a mixed media shabby chic card.  When I sat down to create my HOC DT I stamped and embossed the phrase onto a couple of snippets of parchment.  The bottom layer of the card is card which was coloured using the Faux Mother of Pearl technique, nothing more was added to it.  I used another snippet of the same card and stamped the flowers or grasses that are part of the same stamp set as the phrase.  I attached the stamped parchment over the top, with brads on each corner, so that the stamping was muted.  I want the recipient of this card to pick it up and twist and turn it so that the stamping will catch their eye. 

I cut and scored a 148mm square card which I then folded.  I attached the not stamped piece onto the card and put the square onto it: thinking I would make the phrase the star of this CAS card.  I have a box stuffed with paper flowers, wooden flowers and leaves and other embellishments on my desk that I am trying to use and as I looked up they caught my eye and an idea started to form (you guessed it I hoarded them for quite a while).  I put the base card to one side so that I didn’t get any grubby finger prints on it. 

I got a craft mat out and some paper flowers and started to colour them with my AquaTints.  I put the sentiment on my craft mat then I started colouring the flowers and mocking up a rough layout on my craft mat.  I didn’t allow myself to think about it at all (as I normally do).  I went with the grove, so to speak, I coloured quite a lot of the paper flowers but the look wasn’t quite right so I got more embellishments out and added colour, if necessary, then carried on building a scene around the topper.  I left all the flowers to dry for a couple of hours before adding Stickles glitter glue to some of them, I then left them overnight to dry, they had to be completely dry before the next step.  I even had the butterflies in position, where I wanted them to be before I attached them to my card.  I wanted to add lots of little white splats to the phrase and all of the embellishments, I love doing this, I mixed white gesso with water in my paint palette then I dried my paint brush with a piece of kitchen towel before dipping into the watery gesso and flicking the brush on my hand. 

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon  ttfn Karen x








Tools
Stamp: Tim Holtz stamp set: CMS001 Nature’s Moments

Miscellaneous Tools:
Heat gun; paintbrushes; paint palette; pot of water; sponge; pipettes

Supplies
Card Paper:
300 gsm card; snippet Crafter’s Companion Sheena Douglass white card
Snippet parchment paper #

EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
The Works: silver acrylic paint
Spectrum Noir AquaTints Beautifully Grunge set
WOW EP: green

Embellishments:
Wild Orchid Crafts: flowers; pearl and bead stamens; rose leaves
Prima wooden icons
Beaded stem #; pink brads #; plastic butterfly embellishment #; two net butterflies #; large half pearls #; red flowers #

Adhesives/Mediums:
Versamark IP; Collall all purpose glue; double sided tape; funky foam; white gesso

# VOS: very old stash and no idea if still available to purchase, min. 8 years old


21 comments:

Kim Evans said...

WOW! I can't believe how many things you for on here. This must have been a work in progress over several days and it paid off. It's Amazing!

Megan J said...

Hi Karen, a gorgeous card, it is fit to be framed... have a great weekend... Megan

Claudia N. said...

The stickles glitter on the flowers makes such an impact, Karen! Love it - and that said from someone who isn't a great fan of stickles...lol. You really showed me how they can do so much more than just stick and glitter (giggle). Thanks for that! Very inspirational!

Love the design of your highly dimensional and textural mixed media card! And thank you so much for the lovely comments on my blog!

Hugs,
Claudia xxx

rachel said...

Beautiful card karen...full of depth and joy. Love it to pieces. Hugs rachel x

Mrs A. said...

Oh my goodness Karen where o I start.! This is absolutely beautiful. I love everything on our card. Mixed media? Youv'e certainly nailed it. The colours are gorgeous nd I love those butterflies nestling in amongst them. Thank you for fluttering by my challenge. Hugs Mrs A.

brenda said...

What a lovely combination of colours and a fabulous sentiment Karen and all those layers are perfect for our theme. Many thanks for joining us at Flonz Craft Vintage Stamping Challenges.

B x

cuilliesocks said...

Stunning card Karen, what gorgeous colours and embellishments, love it, Kate x

Zoe Hillman said...

You have some serious flower power going on here! The stickles really give the flowers a realistic look! Thanks for joining us at Frilly & Funkie for the Hip to be Square challenge.

Jane said...

Hi Karen, what a feast for the eyes your lovely card is. I love the sentiment and there are so many gorgeous textures and embellies here.Thanks for joining in with our Spring challenge over at Country View Challenges x
Jane DT

Suchi said...

Thank u so much for the sweet comment on my blog! Your comment surely made my day! I am already a follower of your gorgeous blog and this card is so pretty- I love it! Thanks for stopping by! :)
Suchi xx

SARN said...

That's a stunner Karen. LOADS of pretty embellishments and a wonderful sentiment. FAB! That's one will need heavy postage I suspect . .. are you making a pretty box to go with it to hand to someone instead? I only mention this as I just KNOW you can make a lovely box to match and use up EVEN MORE flowers from your hoarded stash!

Hugs, Sarn xxx

Dr Sonia S V said...

The flowers and sentiment look so pretty
Thank you for playing at Mrs A's Butterfly Challenge
Guest DT
Dr Sonia

Joi at RR said...

STUNNINGLY MAGNIFICENT - WOW.j.

Corrie Herriman said...

It's fabulous. Thanks so much for joining in with our Spring Challenge at Country View Challenges.
Corrie x

Sandra said...

Such a fabulous card, love the wonderful sentiment and all the stunning flowers. Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

Cec said...

This card sure says flower power and the sentiment is fabulous. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie.
Hugs!
Cec

Sara Barker said...

Lots of pretty flowers and great sparkle! You have inspired me to get out my Stickles! Hugs!

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful! Lovely flowers and the sentiment on the vellum is a soft and elegant touch. Thank you for joining in our fun "Hip to Be Square" challenge at Frilly and Funkie!

Paradise Lost said...

A very beautiful card, Karen. Love the colours and beautiful textures. Thanks so much for sharing it with us at Emerald Creek Dares.
{julia}

Sid said...

Karen, I am loving your rich coloured floral card !! It's beautiful !

Team Clark said...

I really love how you've used vellum on these projects, it's so pretty!!!