Sunday, 15 May 2016

Opposites ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well.  Apologies for the delay in sharing anything it’s been a hectic start to the month lol!  I have a card to share with you today and here it is …

 
An A5 card that I have grunged and glamourised!
This is a style that does not come easily to me & previously I've hated what I created in this style
A final look

Created for me and especially for these Challenges
Craft Stamper Challenge May Anything Goes
Emerald Creek Dares Challenge The B’s: bling; blossoms; brads; bubbles




At the beginning of the month after seeing several challenges there were a few that I really, really wanted to play along as several of them really grabbed me.  I started my project by the theme at Frilly & Funky Challenge to create something in an opposite style to your normal style.  That idea excited me but I wasn’t sure if I could create distress style.  Now I’m wondering if my signature style has expanded! 

I inked up one of the flowers with my Spectrum Noir Aqua Sepia then stamped onto white card.  I then inked the stem with leaves up with the Aqua Green and stamped them to match the flower images.  The next step was to spray the panel to create a diffused look.  I sprayed the stamped flowers too much because the paint spread across the card and the flowers were no longer visible but I had a fabulous background.  Once the card had dried I stamped the flowers again using the Aqua Sepia to ink up the stamp but didn’t look right so I sprayed with water again and left to dry.  Once dry I used a blue from my Spectrum Aqua’s to ink the flower head then stamped the flowers and the stems in position which turned out to be a good choice.  I used a damp brush to pull the colour into the flowers and stem and I am happy with the end result.

Then I turned my attention to the background paper.  We have an old encyclopaedia which is well and truly out of date so I have started to pull out pages to use as backgrounds for my projects and for today’s card I kept the definition of ‘bloom’ visible which can just about be seen on the RHS next to the stamped and coloured flowers.  Oddly enough I am happy to do that but still struggle to use patterned paper from my stash, grr.  Using the darker blue from my Primary AquaTints I created several blue washes and coloured the background.  It wasn’t quite right so I created pale acrylic paint washes and a pearl white wash to boost the colour on the page.  Once the background was dry I scored and folded an A4 card in half and attached the background to the card then trimmed the edges.  I attached a stencil and used Teal Sakura Sparkle pen to add some detail to the bottom right hand side of the card.  I trimmed the stamped flower panel to size and used my Tim Holtz distress tool on the edges and attached to the card.  I then moved onto colouring and distressing the embellishments and the die cut.  Some half pearls and Platinum Stickles was added to the flowers to add glamour to my card (it is one of my designs after all) and I was happy with the finished look and the distressing, which, very surprisingly, we both like an awful lot lol!

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon  ttfn Karen x









Tools
Stamp: Tim Holtz Flower Garden stamp set
Die Cutting Machine & Dies: Cuttlebug; Paper Smooches ‘friend’ die
Stencil: free from a magazine (no brand visible)
Miscellaneous Tools: paint brushes; water pot; palette; spray water bottle; Martha Stewart butterfly mould

Supplies
Card Paper: Sheena Douglass A4 Stamping Card; old encyclopaedia page; 300 gsm card

EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Spectrum Noir: Aqua pens: Sepia, blue, green
Spectrum Noir: AquaTints: Primary
Spectrum Noir: Sparkle clear overlay pen
Ranger Perfect Pearls: Rust
Blue acrylic paint; white pearl paint; Sakura Sparkle Pen Teal

Embellishments:
Country View Crafts: flowers
Stickles: Platinum
My stash: sequins; half pearls; gem; flower
Thermomorph pellets

Adhesives/Mediums:
Collall All Purpose Glue; double sided tape; funky foam

26 comments:

Carol said...

Love your glamourized grunge Karen...so pretty. Thanks for sharing at HLS too. Carol x

brenda said...

A super Vintage creation Karen and lolvely tone on tone shades of blue, many thanks for sharing with us and joining in at Allsorts challenge.

B x

SARN said...

That's a lovely creation Karen. Perfect xxx

Cara said...

Wow, this is just stunning. Love this and all the textures and layers. Cara x

Sara Barker said...

Beautiful combination of grungy and feminine elements. Love that flower and the butterfly! Hugs!

Joi at RR said...

It's BEAUTIFUL Karen. So many lovely colors of blue. Love the old encyclopedia paper. Thanks bunches for joining our 'Hit the Books' challenge at OUR CREATIVE CORNER! Xj.

Pamellia Johnson said...

Gorgeous Karen! I love all the blue tones, such a dreamy palette! Love the water colour style flowers! hugs :)

rachel said...

Gorgeous card karen! I love it all ... the flowers and the colour. Beautiful work! Big hugs rachel x

Lena Holmström said...

Beautiful project.Thank you for joining us at MMW this month

Jane said...

A great glam grunge card Karen. I love the colours you used. Your stencilling is super and perfect for our "Use a Stencil" May challenge over at Country View. Thanks for joining in with the fun x
Jane DT

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Oh, this girly grunge card is magnificent! I am so proud of you for embracing this really tough challenge and finding your grungy side! I love the little detail stamp on the side, the gorgeous grunge flowers and the wonderful inky goodness of this card! Thanks so much for sharing with us in the Frilly and Funkie Opposites Attract Challenge!

Kim Evans said...

Oh Karen, This is so beautiful! I am in love.

Gayatri said...

Wow! How gorgeous is your card? I love all the texture, layers, shades of blue,flowers. So many details to admire. Great work. Thanks for playing along Simon Says Stamp Flowers Challenge.
Gayatri xx

Tracy said...

Lovely creation and lovely colours too, Thanks for joining Allsorts challenge. Good Luck.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

Pammejo said...

Gorgeous and so dreamy, love the hues if blue! Thanks for joining us on the Emerald Creek Supplies Dare Challenge!

Mervi said...

Fabulous card Karen, you must be proud to keep going on with this style. so beautiful!
Thank you for sharing at Allsorts;-))m

Inkyfingers said...

What a beautiful piece of mixed media artwork Karen.Your flowers re beautiful!
Thanks for sharing with us at Happy Little Stampers and I hope you will join us again soon.

Team Clark said...

This is truly exquisite! Beautiful softness of color and lovely layering! :)

Corrie Herriman said...

This is lovely ! Thanks for joining us over at Country View Challenges !
Corrie x

Linda said...

Lovely card ..... Thank you for joining in with the Craft Stamper challenge xx

Linda said...

Me again .... just wanted to say Thanks for playing along with the HLS Mixed Media Challenge xx

shirley-bee said...

Beautiful card, Karen! Love the detail. Thanks for playing along at Craft Stamper Take It Make It :)

Jennie Atkinson said...

Gorgeous layering and colouring! Thank you for sharing your lovely project with us at Our Creative Corner for our Hit the Books Challenge. Jennie x

Susan said...

Fabulous mixed media in beautiful shades of blue - love all your details! Thanks for joining us at Happy Little Stampers.

Maria Lillepruun said...

Thank you for joining our challenge at MMW!

Ingrid Kristina V said...

Oh, my! Using a pattern paper is so bloody confusing,.. It's like a Spanish village to me.. I totally understand. If you follow my work in the magazines, you will find that I rarely use patterned paper.. I prefer to start from scratch! it never limited me in any way.. I find it pointless to fight it so I do what I love instead. what you created here screams just that! I think It's awesome! Thank you for sharing it with us at MMW! Come and join our new FB group! More fun going on there! Hugs, Ingrid x