Thursday, 9 June 2016

Flexing my crafting muscles: distress style ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well.  Well the experimenting continues, I really hope I’m not boring you, this time I wanted to flex my distress muscles.  You really wouldn’t believe how many layers of ink and paint went into creating this card lol!  And here it is …

   
An A6 multi layered
Yummy splatters yet the pink and brown shine through
We should all live by this
An NBUS die which will get used a lot!
A final look

Created for me and especially for these Challenges
CropStop Blog #17 Link party
I used Tim Holtz Victorian Velvet Distress ink pad &
Versamark ink pad which are available in CropStop store
Fashionable Stamping Challenge #111 Blots & Splashes
Spectrum Noir Facebook Challenge Use a Die plus Spectrum Noir pens/products
Stamps & Stencils Challenge June Floral Frenzy


I had so much fun creating this card.  I used a lot of my created by me paper snippets some of which were more than a little were mucky, inky, or painted lol! 

I stamped and heat embossed the sentiment onto parchment paper and coloured the back of the parchment with Victorian Velvet Distress ink pad, direct to parchment because I didn’t want to add water to the parchment paper as it doesn’t react well to water.

The next layer down was a piece of white stamping card which I created a sky and field background using my AquaTints.  Once dry I inked up the grasses that are part of this stamp set with my Spectrum Aqua pens and stamped the grasses in position.  The little scene was a bit too bright for what I wanted to do so I used brown Beautifully Grunge AquaTints on the edges and across the card and left to dry.  I attached the parchment onto the scene, in the middle, using brads and I knew it was still too bright for the look I was trying to create.  Several coats of white gesso wash later lightened the edges significantly and then I added splats of gesso and pink Beautifully Grunge AquaTints and I left that to dry.
One of the backgrounds on the bottom layer of the card was created using a DecoArt stencil and Americana acrylic paint was added through the stencil.  Once dry I added a wash of lime green Beautifully Grunge AquaTints.  It was too bright so I added a white gesso wash to the card and once dry I added home made texture paste through a different stencil which I covered with UTEE and left to dry overnight. 

Because the snippet of background card didn’t cover the card base I grabbed a patterned paper snippet from my pile of snippets.  I added splats of pink Beautifully Grunge AquaTints, splats of acrylic pink paint and splats, some of which are large, of a white gesso wash.  I coloured snippets white card with the pink Beautifully Grunge and die cut two flowers then glued them together.  Once the glue was dry I heavily splattered the flower too.


I am, unusually, happy with my distressed sentiment card.  Several layers of card and paper, lots of paints, inks and acrylic mediums and although it is heavily distressed I love it!  One of my favourite colour palettes is brown and pink and this card is mainly that colour palette.  It’s only when you pick it up and look closer you can see a touch of blue, bronze, green and red: good result for a change.  Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon  ttfn Karen x









Tools
Stamp:
CMS001 Nature’s Moments Tim Holtz stamp set
Stencil:
Americana Décor: 6” x 8” Short Circuit stencil
Tando Creative: Splat stencil
Die Cutting Machine & Dies:
Cuttlebug Die Cutter
Crafter’s Companion Crafter’s Inspiration Magazine Diesire Flower die
Miscellaneous Tools:
Tim Holtz distress tool; heat tool; paintbrushes; water pot; palette knife

Supplies
Card Paper:
Sheena Douglass A4 Stamping Card
Parchment snippet #
Craftwork Cards 8” square paper #
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Spectrum Noir AquaTints: Beautifully Grunge
Americana Acrylic paint: waterfront

Spectrum Aqua Floral pen set: bud green & rose pink
Tim Holtz Distress IP: Victorian Velvet
WOW EP: green
UTEE: bronze #
Embellishments:
HOTP brads #; pearls #; ribbon
Adhesives/Mediums:
Versamark IP
The Works: white gesso
Home made texture paste
Collall all purpose glue

# VOS: very old stash and no idea if still available to purchase, min. 5 years old

15 comments:

Jo said...

Oh Karen that is sooooooo gorgeous! Love the inky, messy, painty layers & the sentiment is beautiful. A fabulous make & I can imagine how much fun it was to make. Have a lovely weekend.
hugs Jo x
I have CANDY if you'd like to enter!

SARN said...

Super work. Bet it was great fun to produce.

Hugs, SArn xxx

Cara said...

Sounds like you had fun making this and that shows in it's beauty. Cara x

rachel said...

This is wonderful karen. Brilliant x

Toni said...

Wow! Love the distressed vintage look--amazing texture! Every time I look at your card I spy something new!

Toni
HLS DT

Paper Therapy Ponderings said...

love all the layers - it is good to stretch our creative souls and try new things - great job
Barb Housner

Pamellia Johnson said...

Words to live by, for sure Karen!! Gorgeous card, amazing layering and you know how I love my pinks!! lol. Thank you so much for joining us at Frilly and Funkie for our 'Let the Words Do the Talking' challenge! Hugs, Pamellia DT :)

Brenda said...

Wow Karen, this is spectacular! I love how your card came out!! The sentiment is lovely and yes, we should all live that way. I love the pink and brown splatters and I love that flower. I think you flexed those distress muscle quite well!!! Hugs, Brenda

Sara Barker said...

Karen, I know this quote is one of your favorites and you have used it to it's best advantage once again! Love those splatters, and it looks like you had a lot of fun with this make! Hugs!

Vintagehandmade said...

A brilliant vintage looking card! Awesome layering and a great color choice! Love it! Thank you for joining us at Stamps and Stencils this month! Branka DT x

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

This is one of my favorite sentiment stamps! Good for you for flexing your muscles and trying out some great distress techniques here. Thanks for sharing with us at the Frilly Funkie "Let the Words Do the Talking" Challenge at the Funkie Junkie Boutique!

maria f. said...

What a lovely design. I would love to see the blues and greens in there too. Amazing how many steps/layers you gave it. What a love-filled project. You should be very happy with yourself ;)

Team Clark said...

This is my kind of grungy goodness! You done good! Such a fabulous card and layer upon layer of cool texture and color. Thanks a bunch for sharing with us at Anything But Cute. <3

Team Clark said...

I'm so sorry, I meant to say Thanks so much for sharing with us at Stamps & Stencils. <3 Long day...

Linda said...

This looks amazing .... love the shabby chic feel to it. Thanks for playing along with the HLS Mixed Media challenge xx