Wednesday, 20 July 2016

Thank you for the candy Jo ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well.  The lovely and awesome and very talented Jo had a wonderful candy up for grabs a couple of months and I was the lucky winner!  It was a candy that I was wishing very hard to win because of the star of the dies: these glorious hummingbirds!  I do love most birds and critters but I especially love hummingbirds!  I have never seen one IRL and the irony of the situation is that I can’t really cope with things flying too near too me but I have this hope that I may one day be able to feed a hummer and to have them flying close to me: my husband isn’t so sure that I can manage that lol!  Anyways I finally got hubby to die cut the new dies for me and I grabbed my AquaTints and went off to colour them in and here is the first card I have created …

 
A 5" x 7" card and okay to post
Lovely die, I adore it
A final look

Created for me and especially for these Challenges
The Pencil Case Challenge #24 Xanthic Yellow or Anything Goes
I used a paper that has yellow in it deliberately
The Ribbon Girl Challenge  July Any Image Challenge
 Virginia’s View Challenge #22 All About Colours 

Wednesday’s Creative Inspirations Challenge #255 Extended Summer Challenge
We Love to Create Challenge #15 Anything Creative/Mixed Media Goes


The sad thing with this card is that because of my woeful photographing skills the wonderful iridescence on the bottom layer of the hummingbird cannot be seen.  This type of die is new to me.  I wasn’t sure if my Cuttlebug would cut such a detailed image out and it was only after I cut this piece out that I realised how many different layers it can cut.  A heads up for you – you will be seeing this die a lot in the future, lol!  I am very glad that I have a few new sets of stamps so that I won’t get obsessed with just one new item as I have done so in the past.  I am trying very hard not to stamp or die cut and colour just one new item because I know that I become blinkered when I acquire new stuff.

Once I die cut the panel and hummingbird I painted the bottom layer of the hummer with black acrylic because I know that to make the Pebeo acrylic shimmer it works best with black card or card that has been coloured black.  So I painted the bottom layer of the hummer black acrylic and left that to dry.  I then took my time colouring each flower and petal with the pink and green AquaTints and once that was done I coloured the outer frame with a deep blue AquaTints.  I used another piece of white card to create a ‘background’ behind the frame by free hand painting a landscape.  When I acquire something new I take my time trying out different products and different colours and my first play session normally ends up in the bin, yes I know I am very fussy, picky and self critical.  I was trying out the die trying a stained glass panel.  It’s not quite there yet but I was happy enough with the first end result that it was used to create a card: yay!

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon  ttfn Karen x








Tools
Stamp:
Stamplorations Stamps: Dee’s Artsy Impressions Banners &Balloons stamp set
Die Cutting Machine & Dies:
Cuttlebug die cutting machine
Couture Creations: The Songbird Collection
Miscellaneous Tools:
Stampin’ Up label punch; paintbrushes; water pot

Supplies
Card Paper:
Crafter’s Companion Sheena Douglass stamping card
Papermania PP
300 gsm card
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
AquaTints: Beautifully Grunge & Landscape
DecoArt Acrylic paints: black
Pebeo Dyna Acrylic paints: #360 Iridescent Blue Black
Embellishments:
Ribbon from my stash
Adhesives/Mediums:
Collall all purpose glue; double sided tape; fun foam

14 comments:

Jane Savage said...

Congratulations on your win, that die is awesome and you have done an awesome job with it! Beautiful card!
Thank you for joining us at The Pencil Case! Jane (DT) xxx

SARN said...

Congrats on your win Karen. You've made a lovely card with the humming bird die. xxx

Cara said...

Congratulations on your win, you've made a beautiful card, love humming birds. Cara x

Brenda said...

Oh my goodness, I can see why you wanted to win this candy Karen! I love this beautiful card!!! Your hummer is so pretty, you have captured this winged beauty beautifully. Love the background as well. I have never feed a hummer from my hand, but I have had them hover beside me. They are so small, so perfect and so beautiful. I love to sit outside and see them sit on my clothesline. Just as cute as they can be! I hope one day you will get to feed one out of your hand Karen, I think you can do it!! They really are such sweet little creatures. Hugs, Brenda

laurie said...

Gorgeous! I love that hummingbird! I enjoyed reading your post too. Thanks for joining us at Happy Little Stampers!

Jo Nevill said...

Very pretty

Thank you for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge this week.

Jo x

Heidi Baks said...

Beautiful coloring of your die-cut and background! There are several hummingbirds in our backyard, but we cannot get close enough to them. We only watch through the window. Thanks for joining Sunday Stamps this week.

Annette Elliott said...

Your humming bird and flowers that surround him are gorgeous! Lots of fun details and coloring! Thanks so much for joining us at Sunday Stamps! this week! :)

Julie B said...

Congrats on your win, such an unusual die, love the flowery background to the hummer.
TFS at HLS. :0)

Claire Broadwater said...

Karen, your hummingbird and flowers are gorgeous! The colors you used are just gorgeous! So happy you joined us at Sunday Stamps! XX

Katie Ann Brooks said...

love all your layers! Thanks for joining us at Sunday Stamps!

Lisa said...

Very sweet card! I do hope you get to see a hummingbird someday, they are wonderful little birds to watch! Where I live in Alaska there are extremely rare so it's been a while since I've seen one.

Thanks for joining us at Sunday Stamps.

Scrappy Scatty said...

lovely card. Thanks for joining us in our pencil challenge
xx

Rahmat said...

Beautiful card, the bird has come out terrific!, thanks for joining us at HLS.