Saturday, 6 August 2016

A day at the beach ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week was a good one and you have fabulous weekend plans.  Even though we’ve had a couple of very hot weeks in the UK I feel like summer hasn’t started or not lasted for long enough so I decided to create a beach themed card complete with beach huts and sand, here it is …

I had to go A5 again!
I think there is six layers!
I do love creating scenes!
The sand and gold accent beads are well and truly visible here
 
I love my flowers!
A perfect sentiment!
A final look

Created for me and especially for these Challenges
The Artistic Stamper Challenge August Anything Goes
The Craft Barn Challenge #31 Two Weekly Challenge A Beach Scene
The Pencil Case Challenge #25 Anything Goes
We Love to Create Challenge #16 Anything Creative/Mixed Media Goes 


I watercoloured the beach scene with my Bright & Beautiful AquaTints and left that to dry whilst I created the base layer.  This layer was one of my experiments, using Pebeo Dyna paint through my Tim Holtz Lines layering stencil.  I applied the paint reasonably thickly and it has lovely texture.  Once the paint was dry created an AquaTints wash and coloured the white parts in that lovely lime green shade.

The next step was to stamp, heat emboss and then colour the beach huts.  The stamps I used for this was a magazine freebie and it has been well loved and well used lol!  I used white card snippets to stamp and emboss and then colour.  Once they were dry I fussy cut each one and glued one beach hut at either end of the scene.  I attached fun foam to the final beach hut and adhered that in position but slightly higher than the other two.

Then I mixed DecoArt’s sand texture paste with yellow AquaTints to create the sand.  Once I was happy with the shade I used a palette knife to butter the sand onto the beach and up to the huts.  I used a sprinkle of gold accent beads to give the sand a little bling.  I changed black flowers to blue using acrylic paint and glitter.  They were my attempt at Hibiscus flowers lol!  I found a lovely lilac coloured sturdy grunge board flower that had to be added because it was so close to the colours of the ocean and sky. 


Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment.  I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon  ttfn Karen x











Tools
Stamp:
From a paper crafting or stamping magazine: must be at least three years old!
Die Cutting Machine & Dies:
Cuttlebug die cutter
Tim Holtz Tattered Floral Bigz die
Whimsy sentiment die
Stencil:
Tim Holtz Lines layering stencil
Miscellaneous Tools:
Heat tool; paintbrushes; palette knife; paint palette; water pot

Supplies
Card Paper:
Crafter’s Companion Sheena Douglass A4 white stamping card
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Spectrum Noir AquaTints: Bright & Beautiful
WOW EP
DecoArt Americana acrylic: blue paint
Embellishments:
Glitter #; ribbon #; flowers #; brads #; gold accent beads
Adhesives/Mediums:
DecoArt sand texture paste; Versamark IP; double sided tape; fun foam

# VOS: very old stash and no idea if still available to purchase, min. 10 years old

17 comments:

brenda said...

I'm just back from holiday and recouperation so popping in to see what I've missed and your lovely creation in this post is a great starting place.

B x

SARN said...

Super looking summery scene Karen xxx

Brenda said...

I am loving your beach scene Karen! Like you, summer goes by all to fast and then we are stuck in the house over winter, especially you and I with our autoimmune diseases! So yes, summer is all to short for us. Now I wish I was on that beach of yours with that beautiful sunset! Hugs, Brenda

Cara said...

What a wonderful scene you've created. I want to go to the beach now! Cara x

cuilliesocks said...

Gorgeous seaside scene Karen, gorgeous colours and design, love it, Kate x

Carol said...

I could just do with a day at the beach Karen....this is such an enticing card, love it. Carol x

Jane said...

What a gorgeous seaside scene Karen...lovely layers...I could spend my summer there! Your textures are brilliant.Thanks so much for joining in with my Hot Summer days theme over at Country View this month xx

Wheelie Crafty said...

Hi Karen, I love your summery scene, it makes you feel happy...
Thank you so much for entering our challenge over at Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge Blog, we hope to see you join in again...

Hugs Rhonda DT & Owner
http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.co.uk

ReplyDelete

Jane Savage said...

What a fabulous scene you've created! That sky is gorgeous!
Thank you for joining us at The Pencil Case! Jane (DT) xxx

Craftyfield said...

Our British summer has been predictably under par this year so your beach huts are a welcome relief! Thanks for showing us your lovely creation at Country View Challenges.

Jenny Marples said...

Oh Karen those little beach huts come to life on your scene with that sandy beach. Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie x

Nancy Dynes said...

This is such a fun piece, Karen! Your row of huts and the amazing texture are wonderful! Thank you so much for joining us at the Frilly and Funkie Challenge!
Hugs,
Nancy

maggie said...

Lots of lovely texture and layers making a great summery beach scene.

Debbie Ellis said...

I love your card, love the beachey theme
thanks for joining our challenge over at
http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.com.au/
Debbie Dt

Monika Gulyas said...

Lovely summer card with great colouring, Karen! I love beach huts too :-) Thank you for joining our August challenge on the Country View Challenges blog!

June Macfarlane said...

This is really beautiful and so sunny and fabulous

Inky Kitty said...

Beautiful beach themed card. Thank you for joining in this months challenge at The Artistic Stamper.