Thursday, 23 March 2017

March Mixed Media Tag #2 ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well. This is my second mixed media tag for this months second tag and I absolutely and completely love it, love, love, love it! Anyway after all the build up of it here is my tag …

I adore this tag!
Lots of yummy depth and texture
All the yummy details
I don't have many of these Petaloo flowers left, sadly
To me it screams spring, lovely flowers, pastel colours and
it has pops of richer colour to add depth

Created for me and especially for these Challenges
Allsorts Challenge #407 not a card
Colour Crazy Craft Challenge #11 Anything Goes
Fussy & Fancy Challenge #183 Springtime
They want to see lots of flowers and as I don't have any Rubber Dance Art flower stamps so I used Wild Orchid Crafts flowers and a Petaloo fabric flower, coloured my pieces with pastel shades that also have that rich pop of colour that I love




This month firstly for myself and as an extra bonus for some of the lovely challenges in our crafty world I'm trying to channel my inner 'Tim Holtz'. I'm playing with colour, texture, different mediums, substrates, mixed media mediums and I'm having a blast lol. Whilst looking for an art instruction book on EBay I found and purchased a copy of Tim's Compendium of Curiosities Volume III. I've been trying to find and purchase the final issue for a few years so I was ever so chuffed. I already owned Volumes I and II but when III came out we were not financially sound so I didn't purchase it. I got Volume III and I got it for a really good price too, a lot less than I have seen it elsewhere lol! So once my craft room is sorted and properly set up I am planning on working my way through all the lovely techniques and tips, lol, I can't wait!

I stamped and embossed the hearts with white EP. I sprinkled Brusho watercolour crystals onto my craft mat, rose red, blue and yellow, spaced apart so that they could not contaminate each other. I used a wide paintbrush to add a layer of water to the stamped panel and then dipped it into the rose red then I heat dried it. I did that for the blue and the yellow too. I wanted the whole panel covered because I was experimenting. Then I decided to add even more layers of colour. It was too bold and too bright so I used my water spray and kitchen towel to spray water onto the card and the kitchen towel to mop up the water. I did that so much I forgot to keep count. Once I was happy with the look I left it aside to dry. I used my chubby tag template to cut Sheena stamping card to size before wetting that and dipping it into puddles of Distres so that the stamped panel would work beautifully with it. Once I had the right amount of colour on the tag I applied a Perfect Pearls watercolour wash on the whole tag so it shimmers beautifully too. I wanted more texture at this stage so I decided to use both crackle paint and accent beads to the centres of the hearts. I tapped Broken China Distress onto my craft mat and added to water to create a pale blue to use on the Wild Orchid Crafts flowers. Then I used my scissors and my distressing tool to distress the edges of all of the layers. I love using ribbon on my tags and as I had a short piece of velvet ribbon it just fits perfectly and adds another tactile element to the tag. As per usual I tried the layout and positioning before gluing everything in position and leaving it to dry overnight.

I absolutely love the light and airy feel with soft spring colours and pops of richer colour and the distressing is just perfect, and that is/was a real joy to me lol. Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment. I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon ttfn Karen x










Tools
Stamp:
Rubber Dance: heart stamps
Miscellaneous Tools:
MISTI; Craftwork Cards chubby tag template; heat tool; paintbrushes; water pot; spray water bottle

Supplies
Card Paper:
Sheena Douglass white stamping card
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Brusho watercolour crystals: rose red, turquoise, yellow
Distress inks: Broken China
Perfect Pearls: pearly white
White embossing powder
Embellishments:
Wild Orchid Crafts: white cherry blossom; white sweetheart blossoms
Melissa Frances velvet ribbon
Accent beads
Adhesives/Mediums:
Versamark IP
Ranger Crackle Accents
Collall all purpose glue
Double sided tape

12 comments:

Mrs A. said...

Super colours and such a lot of detailing on your tag. Very spring like. Hugs Mrs A.

Helene E said...

What a gorgeous project! thank you for entering it in our challenge at Allsorts this week.

brenda said...

Great work and perfect entry for our theme this week, many thanks for joining us at Allsorts challenge.

B x

Catherine said...

Your tag is so pretty! I love the colors in your background and the interesting way in which you created the hearts. Very clever! Thanks for joining us on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge.

Cathie ♥

Craftychris said...

Beautiful colours and lots of texture and interest - gorgeous tag! xxx

Claire said...

Fab tag, I love those colours! Thanks so much for joining us at We Love to Create this time
Claire xx

Darlene said...

Just beautiful! Thanks so much for playing in our Fussy and Fancy Challenge! Please come back again soon!

Darlene
Fussy and Fancy Girl
FUSSY AND FANCY
DAR’S CRAFTY CREATIONS Please come for a visit.

nitisartfromheart.bloggspot.no said...

This tag is so pretty. I love the colours! Thank you for joining the Rubber Dance Everything Spring Challenge.
Hugs, Anita

Ink Art Designs said...

Hi Karen. I love your tag too! So bright and cheery and full of heart, and you obviously had so much fun making it.
Thank you for joining in the Everything Spring challenge at Rubber Dance.
Dot x
inkartdesigns

Julie Reed said...

Very pretty, thanks for joining us this week at Colour Crazy, Julie DT x

Bibi, Rubber Dance Stamps said...

Beautiful tag, Karen! It feels very "springy" :-) Thank you for joining our Spring challenge at Rubber Dance ♥ We start a colour challenge today (as you probably know), come have a look! :)

Pammejo said...

Lovely project, thanks for joining us on the Emerald Creek Supplies Dare Challenge Blog.