Sunday, 26 March 2017

The Birds ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your weekend is going well. I must have bought at least three packs of these chipboard circles, no idea where or when, but I have been very grateful for them and here is another one that I have altered …

Lovely colours and texture
Nice depth from the clay embellishments
All the yummy details
The beautiful and regal kingfisher
Such beautiful embellishments and fabulous texture!
A final look

Created for me and especially for these Challenges
All Aboard for the Birthday Challenge Celebration

Country View Crafts Challenge Inspired by Tim Holtz
I'm currently obsessed with my Tim Holtz alcohol inks
in part probably because of some challenges, more details below.
I was inspired by the blues and ethereal feel, sadly I don’t own any of your products
(yet, lol, hopefully I'll be able to purchase some next month)

Mixed Media Anything Goes optional twist mood board:
I was inspired by the darker shades of blue, the deep red berries and the lines of ice

Simon Says Stamps Monday Challenge Layer it up


Cheep, Cheep, Cheep 


I've been playing, experimenting and using my alcohol inks a lot this month. I've had them for ages and other than a little play session when I first purchased them I've not really used them. Because I wanted to play with them I also wanted to use them to make several challenge entries too. I adhered torn up encyclopaedia pages to the chipboard then I added a light wash of gesso that had been watered done a lot. 

Once the pages were dry I dripped the two colours of alcohol inks onto the circle and stood it upright so that the drips would drip downwards. The next day I used Ranger Texture Paste and Tim's Lines layering stencil (for some reason I love this stencil lol) and added the lines to the bottom half of the chipboard to create the illusion of water.

I created a bird and a branch from air dry clay then coloured those with acrylic paints and rub on waxes. Looking through my stash I found the bird buttons which I then removed the shanks from the back. Once the texture paste was dry I applied rub on wax to it. I adhered the clay to the texture paste as I was trying to create a place for my stamped and coloured kingfisher to sit upon whilst he looks into the water to catch and eat his fish dinner lol!

Every mixed media project I have created this month has incorporated some technique or other that has been inspired by shabby chic, distressed or Tim Holtz style. I have had an absolute blast doing this and it appears to have fired my passion for creating more mixed media projects and less cards lol. Thank you so much for the awesome challenges and for sharing your wonderful projects with us: every challenge has lit a fuse in my imagination this month and I sincerely thank you for that. Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment. I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon ttfn Karen x











Tools
Stamp:
Sheena Douglass A5 A Little Bit Sketchy King for a Day stamp set
Stencil:
Tim Holtz layering stencil: lines
Miscellaneous Tools:
MISTI; Martha Stewart silicone mould; palette knife

Supplies
Card Paper:
Sheena Douglass white stamping card
Chipboard circle
Old encyclopaedia pages
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Alcohol inks: stonewashed; wild plum
Black Versafine ink pad
Derwent colouring pencils
Pebeo Dyna acrylics: black, blue green
Gold rub on wax
Embellishments:
Ribbon and buttons from my stash
Adhesives/Mediums:

Ranger Transparent Matt Texture Paste 
Ranger alcohol ink blending solution
Collall all purpose glue

Collall 3D glue gel
Air Dry Clay
The Works white gesso


22 comments:

Maura Hibbitts said...

This is awesome Karen! I love your beautiful bird and then you placed in on the round of weathered wood which is wonderful! Thanks for sharing with us this week at Simon Says Stamp Monday challenge! Hugs, Maura

brenda said...

A lovely creation Karen, it's a superb Kingfisher and so nice how you have reflected it in your embellishing, many thanks for joining in with our 'Close to Nature' theme at Stamping Sensations challenge.

B x

Jane said...

Hi Karen, you have been busy with some beautiful work here. Thanks for your kind comments over at mine today...I have searched for an email address to reply to you but I can't find one so I hope you don't mind me answering you here? You are most welcome to CASE my photos as inspiration...if you actually want to use my photo on your blog I would obviously appreciate a note and link re their origin ie me! I'm delighted that I can inspire you, after all that's what blogging is all about. This gorgeous sunshine is wonderful isn't it. Have a sunny week, hugs Jane xx

Corrie Herriman said...

Fabulous ! Thank you so much for playing along with us over at Country View Challenges ! Corrie x

Brenda said...

Love this chipboard circle Karen, it has so much texture and beautiful colors. I love all the birds too!! Hugs Brenda

Shona said...

so original and awesome. Thanks for playing with us at Creative Embellishments!

Sara Barker said...

Karen, this is an incredible mixed media project and so good to see you use those alcohol inks, something I rarely use. Love the stenciled lines representing the water and that awesome paper clay bird! Thank you for sharing this with us at Emerald Creek Dares! Hugs!

Sara Barker said...

PS And thank you, too, for entering this into our Birthday Celebrations challenge at A Vintage Journey! Hugs!

Maggi said...

Love this! the circle is such a nice piece to use. Thanks for joining our challenge at Creative Embellishments.

Marci Bensing said...

This is so beautifully done! and you got lots of challenges in too! well, thanks for making CREATIVE EMBELLISHMENTS one of them!

Jane said...

I'm back again Karen with my DT hat on...thanks so much for joining in with the inspired by Tim Holtz challenge over at Country View. It's such a super project and perfect for our challenge. Hugs xx

Tracy said...

Fab creation, thanks for joining Stamping Sensations, good luck.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

LisaM said...

Love all the texture on this cute project! Thanks for sharing it with us at Creative Embellishments.

Paper Therapy Ponderings said...

love your creation. Love using the circle - something different than the normal rectangle or square.

Thanks for joining us at HLS.

Barb Housner (DT)

Heather Thompson said...

a great project! wow, Thanks for joining us at Creative Embellishments

France Ringuette said...

Oh how sweet, love this canvas, thanks for playing along at Creative Embellishments !

Cec said...

Fun project - love all the birds of different types and colours. Thanks for joining us at Stamps and Stencils.
Hugs!
Cec

Torsa Saha said...

Beautiful creation !! Thanks for joining Mixed Media World challenge this month !! Best of luck dear !!

Linda said...

This looks fab. Thanks for playing along with the HLS Mixed Media Challenge xx

Sue C said...

Great project Karen, the Kingfisher is fabulous ! Thanks for joining us at Stamps and Stencils. Sue C x

Team Clark said...

Wow, you have such a variety of bird embellishments and each so cool! Beautiful work! Thanks so much for sharing with us at Stamps & Stencils. Hugs, Autumn

Инна Бронникова said...

a great project! Thanks for joining Mixed Media World Challenge !!