Saturday, 22 April 2017

April showers bring May's flowers and Rust too ....

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your weekend is going well. Last week on the Frilly & Funkie Blog Cec shared how she puts together a shabby style card, see here, well that set off some ideas in my brain and I decided that I wanted to try Cec's techniques with my own supplies and here is the end result …

 
A 148 mm square card, it will have to be posted in a box!
All the yummy details and layers
A final look

I want to enter the following Challenges:
A Vintage Journey Challenge Magical Three's
I die each flower three times,
three triple layered flowers were used, 
three different patterned papers,
three different dies, three Distress Stain colours, 
three Pebeo Dyna colours, three buttons, 
three Spectrum Aqua pen colours


Allsorts Challenge I spy with my little eye:
three buttons, three blossoms, one bird and one bow

Country View Crafts Challenge Rust, I used Rusty Hinge Distress Stain to create layers of rust on my cards from the rain

Frilly & Funkie Challenge Showers: I used my raindrop template along with Broken China Distress Stain and flowers on my patterned paper and die cuts

Scrapy Land Challenge #64 Spring Blooms
I used Crafters Companion, Sizzix & Couture dies


I had no idea we could enter projects without stamps being used on them


I had no idea we could enter projects without stamps being used on them



I also decided that were a couple of other Challenges that I wanted to enter at the same time so I sorted my supplies and tools inspired by Cec's process as well as elements that were required for the challenges listed above. I actually and very unusually remembered to photograph the layers before adhering everything to the card base. It is something I can refer back to if we are ever without internet for a while, or if mojo goes major walkies. Thank you so much Cec! You described your process wonderfully easily and it's something I now hope to build on by adding my own twists here and there in future.

I have held onto the Stampin' Up (top layer) patterned paper for a while as it has a beautiful botanical flower on it and I wanted to try and keep that as visible as possible. I coloured the flower with my green, pink and yellow Spectrum Aqua pens and put it aside to dry. Once dry I attached my raindrop stencil and applied Broken China Distress Stain and left it to dry. I have an old bottle of Glossy Accents which crackles which I recently found so I decided to make some of the raindrops glossy and cracking lol! It's gorgeous and what's even better is that when you layer it over the Rusty Hinge Distress Stain and dry it with a heat tool it browns, that's the only word I can think of to explain it, it colours like a piece of toast lol! I tore the top patterned paper and the other layer and applied lots of Rusty Hinge to it and I sprayed with water so that the ink bled and blended a bit and added some of the Glossy Accents crackle and heated it here and there. I attached one of the patterned papers to my card base and applied Rusty Hinge Distress Stain to all four edges and I left that to dry and started die cutting and colouring the flowers.

I left everything to dry overnight before I started to put together the card and playing with the layout to see how I wanted it to look. After I had attached the flowers and piece of ribbon I decided that the card needed a little something on the RHS of the card and the pale green buttons were just perfect to balance it. So I managed to create a distressed shabby card using colours, rust and many embellishments and I love it! Oh dear, looks like I am going to have to create and play some more in this style lol! Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment. I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon ttfn Karen x
















Tools
Stencil:
Stamplorations Raindrop Stencil
Die Cutting Machine & Dies:
Cuttlebug die cutting machine
Pretty Petals from Sara Davies Signature Range Floral Delight Collection
Sizzix Tim Holtz Handwritten Love die set
Create & Craft Couture Songbird Collection
Miscellaneous Tools:
Paintbrushes; water pot; Tim Holtz Distress spray bottle

Supplies
Card Paper:
Various patterned papers from my stash, they must be over ten years old now!
300 gsm card
Snippets: patterned paper & black card for die cutting
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Distress Stain: Broken China, Rusty Hinge, Scattered Straw
Nature and Primary Spectrum Aqua pens: Pink, Green and Yellow (I forgot to note the colours)
Pebeo Dyna acrylic paints: Iridescent Blue Black, Iridescent Violet Blue, Iridescent Blue Green
Embellishments:
Buttons, ribbon and silver pearls from my stash
Adhesives/Mediums:
Glossy Accents Crackle medium
Rock Candy Distress Crackle paint
Collall all purpose glue
Double sided tape
Fun foam


17 comments:

Craftychris said...

Gorgeous! Lots of yummy detail! xxx

Susan Hogan said...

Karen - this is so soft and pretty.Love all the layering and embellies too. Such a great piece of multimedia-thanks for sharing this fabulous art work with us at Unstampabelles.

brenda said...

It's a really super vintage/shabby creation Karen and lots of 'B's going on in there as well, many thanks for sharing with us at Allsorts 'I spy' theme this week.

B x

Sara Barker said...

Karen, this is beautiful with the hummingbird and gorgeous flowers! I love your paper layers and the stenciled drops. How pretty! Thank you for sharing this beauty with us at Scrapy Land for our Spring Blooms challenge! Hugs!

Sara Barker said...

And I almost forgot that you have very cleverly applied the Magic of Three in so many different ways! There truly is magic happening here! Thank you for sharing with this month's Magic of Three challenge at A Vintage Journey! Hugs!

Anna-Karin said...

This card is lovely! I love the Hummingbird, and all the wonderful background layers. Thank you so much for joining us again at the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog!!

Wynn Walton said...

Great piece of multi media work. This must have taken an age to create. Thank you for sharing it with us at Unstampabelles. Wynn DT

Wendy L said...

Thanks for joining us at Allsorts with your lovely creation, xxx

Gayatri said...

WOW! such a gorgeous project. So much details to admire. Thanks for playing along Simon Says Stamp Showers/Flowers challenge. Gayatri xx

Sue said...

This is really lovely Karen, you can see all the care and attention that has gone into making it. You've somehow managed to make rust look pretty! Thank you so much for joining in with us at Country View Crafts. Sue xx

Kathy/NorthCarolina said...

Great shabby layering and pretty vintage colors, too! Love the addition of the buttons down the side. Thanks so much for joining the fun at the Frilly and Funkie "April Showers" Challenge!

frommycraftroom said...

A great mixed media project. Thanks for sharing with us at Unstampabelles.

Maryvonne COUSSE said...

Stunning!
Thanks for joining us at Scrapyland challenges blog and good luck !
Maryvonne DT Member

Evelyn Walter said...

What a pretty card! The rust on it even looks lovely on your work and I love your Hummingbird!
Thank you for playing with us this month at Country View Challenges! Evelyn xx

Jenny Marples said...

What a fabulous card! Love the rusting effect on it Karen. Thank you for joining us at Frilly and Funkie and A Vintage Journey xx

Team Clark said...

Karen, so happy to see this fabulous make win the loot at F&F - congrats sweetie! And thanks again for sharing with us at AVJ and Scrapy Land - you're the best! Hugs, Autumn

Nancy Dynes said...

This is such a sweet card! I adore the hummingbird--a sure sign of spring. Sorry to be so late in visiting. Somehow life ganged up on me and I'm just realizing how much I missed out on. Thank you so much for sharing your art with us at The Frilly and Funkie Challenge Blog!
Hugs,
Nancy