Thursday, 29 June 2017

June Mixed Media Journal ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well. I actually remembered to have a play in my journal before the end of the month for a change! I combined a couple of my brown eyed ladies, doxides, watercolour pencils, wax crayons and two stamps too and here it is ...

I created a two page spread for a change
Lots of oxides and inky play too!
 The eyes are not right at all, however in a couple of weeks I hope to complete the break through piece I have been working on and will share soon
The eyes are better on this one but the hair is too flat lol!
I final look


I’m using my A5 Pink Pig Journal for most of my mixed media pages and sometimes I’m happy to add my own drawing and painting to them, although after all the ‘rats’ moments this month I may not do that next month!

I prepared both pages by applying a layer of white gesso with a brayer and once dry I used Doxides to completely colour both pages. I smooshed the ink pads onto my craft mat, then sprayed with water and I dipped the pages multiple times, drying in between each dipping so that I didn’t end up with shades of brown. I drew both girls using a watercolour pencil and I used Prima mixed media watercolour pencils 12 pack Julie Nutting Hair and Skin Tone to colour the faces. Hubby treated me to these because they are perfect for my drawing and watercolouring girlie journey! I used Spectrum Aqua pens and Caran D'ache Neo Color II's to add layers of colour to both ladies hair, again a lot of overlapping of colour and drying in between each layer. I then decided to add shimmer to the lips and had an ‘oh no what have I done’ moment! Arrg, the shimmer had made the paint on the ink run so now they are both sticking out their tongues! Hubby asked if I was channelling myself into them because the tongue poking out is what I do when I’m concentrating really hard lol. And then to add insult even more I added a layer of Crackle Accents to the eyes, and another ‘oh xxxxxx’! I thought it was the Glossy Accents that I had in my hand. Some days I just can’t get it to work in the correct way, lol, c’est la vie!

I added stamped flowers to each girlies hair as I happen to have some pink snippets lying around lol. Since I created these two pages I have had to take a break from drawing and watercolouring girlie faces and that’s actually been really good for me, nothing sinister about stopping drawing for a while I just didn’t have the time nor the energy. Anyways if I ever get what I am working on finished I think you’ll agree that it was good for me too, enough with the teasing woman! Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment. I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon ttfn Karen x











Tools
Stamp:
Tim Holtz Mini Bouquet stamp set
Miscellaneous Tools:
MISTI; heat tool; paintbrushes; water pot; paint palette; spray bottle

Supplies
Card Paper:
Sheena Douglass white stamping card
My Pink Pig A5 Journal
Snippets: coloured with Spectrum Noir AquaTints
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Essential Spectrum Aqua pens
Caran D'ache Neo Color II
Distress Oxides Ink Pads: Weathered Wood; Fossilised Amber
Distress Stain: Rusty Hinge
Staz On IP: pink
Adhesives/Mediums:
Collall all purpose glue
Ranger Crackle Accents
The Works White Gesso


2 comments:

Cara said...

Art is all about developing and learning from our mistakes, even if that includes making sure we read the label on the bottle! These faces are looking good and looking forward to seeing how you progress x

SARN said...

I'm totally agree with Cara's comment above. Keep going. I haven't played in my AJ for aaaaages.

Hugs, Sarn xxx