Friday, 28 July 2017

A distressed Christmas card ....

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well, it’s been a busy one project wise. Last year I finally managed to crack creating shabby style Christmas cards so after the new themes at several challenges I love to play along with I decided it was time for me to see if I could create a distressed and or grunge Christmas card and this is the end result …

Lots of lovely inky and torn layers: my happy place lol!
It has lots of layers and it will hand delivered
All the inky stuff
It felt good to finally use this die
A final look

Created for me and especially for these Challenges
Cardz TV Challenge #3 Christmas in July  
Christmas Cards All Year Round Challenge July Anything Goes 
Frilly & Funkie Challenge Christmas
Simon Says Stamps Monday Challenge You’ve got the edge:
I made sure to tear and distress all of the edges.  I love how they lift a little because I deliberately didn’t cover them in glue


I will be creating more in this style as I’m not sure that I completely nailed it this time, lol, but I do love the gorgeous torn edges I created free hand, I adore the rich red colours as well as all of those layers but I think I need to add a little darkness to the very edge of some of the layers so that’s something I will try on the next one. It is a little too much ‘matchy matchy’ with regards to the red but I really did enjoy getting very mucky fingers for a while and it’s another Christmas card made and ready for posting.

I won a challenge at Sweet Stampin’ earlier this and a gift certificate and that’s why I have these lovely 12” x 12” Pion Design papers. I purchased them to use on my Christmas cards and now know I really do love them. After using one of the sheets this week I’ve got to purchase more of them when I can. Back in January I purchased the poinsettia die because I wanted to make my own Christmas embellishments and the bonus of that is that I can create them in any colour I want or I can use patterned papers for them too. I adore this one die of Tim’s because it’s very elegant and classy without trying lol, I hope you get what I mean. I used several small snippets to die cut the fancy frame behind the poinsettia as well as the word Christmas. I’m working on reducing those snippets bags. Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment. I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon ttfn Karen x












Tools
Die Cutting Machine & Dies:
Sizzix Big Shot Plus die cutting machine
Crafters Companion: Downton Abbey Ornate Frame die
Signature Collection by Sara Davies: Contemporary Christmas Merry Christmas die
Tim Holtz Sizzix Poinsettia Bigz die
Miscellaneous Tools:
Heat tool; paintbrushes; water pot; paint palette; ink blending tool and foam

Supplies
Card Paper:
300 gsm card
Papermania Christmas patterned paper (a few years old minimum)
Pion Design 5111 Days of Winter 12 x 12 Images
Sheena Douglass white stamping card (for die cutting the poinsettia)
Snippets: red pearl card for die cutting
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Red Barn Distress ink pad
Spectrum Noir AquaTints: primary set
Pebeo Dyna Iridescent Acrylic paints: Blue Black; Green Yellow
Adhesives/Mediums:
Collall all purpose glue
Stickles glitter glue: Frosted Lace
Double sided tape
Fun foam

11 comments:

scrappymo! said...

This is a gorgeous, inky card, KAren. I love the colours you achieved here.
The torn edges are great but I know what you mean about the edges. PErhaps a little chalk ink shading? IF you slide a scrap paper under the edges of your design, you can still shade it, even though it is glued together already!
Trust me...have done it many times! lol

Thanks for taking part in the July Rudolph Days Challenge.

Tracy Freeman said...

WOW this is stunning, infant i think it is possibly one my favourite cards of yours, so many gorgeous layers and that flower is perfect !!

Sorry for my lack of visiting, been having some stuff go on and well you know how it is.
I do hope you are well lovely ? I have box sitting here that I will get sent to you asap.
Lots of love and hugs xxx

Whisper said...

Oooo am loving the vintage feel to this card and how you have added the red, thanks for joining us at July's Rudolph Days Challenge, luv Sam x

Mrs A. said...

Loving thiis distressed card. You have certainly cracked it for Christmas cards too. Love the colours. Hugs Mrs A.

Cara said...

A very pretty vintage card, well done on the torn edges, sounds easy but is hard to get right!

Robyn Oliver said...

Fabulous vintage card Karen, love it in pink, that's a goregous poinsettia die too

Sara Barker said...

Karen, this is such a pretty Christmas card! That vintage image is lovely, and I love the torn papers to back it! What a fabulous poinsettia--it looks so realistic! We are so pleased you were able to play along with our Christmas in July challenge at Frilly and Funkie! Hugs!

Kath Stewart said...

beautiful card Karen...love all those gorgeous inky layers..thank you for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge...hugs kath xxx

Michelle said...

Loev these beautiful, vintage red layers!!! The poinsettia is the perfect touch! Thanks for joining us at Happy Little Stampers!

Team Clark said...

Oh Karen, I just love these distressed layers and your exquisite bloom! A beautiful project through and through. We are ever so thankful that you shared with us at Frilly and Funkie! Big hugs, Autumn

Cec said...

Love this card with that wonderful vintage image and the pretty poinsettia. Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie.
Hugs!
Cec