Saturday, 29 July 2017

July Journal ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week was a good one and your weekend is going well. I can’t believe that I managed it, lol, I challenged myself to make more mixed media projects than cards in January of this year and as we’re now over half way through the year so far I’ve done so. Yippee!! I don’t enter my craft room to create just a card any more and I love that! After I completed last months journal page I challenged myself to do two pages in my journal and to I wanted to push myself a bit more by not journaling onto card which I then cut up and adhere in my journal. So once I decided to be harder on myself I made sure I got several pages covered with gesso so that leaking ink or paint wouldn’t be a problem and here is the end result …

I got to play with my journal
All the inky details
The beautiful stencilled images and stamps
The lovely die cut
The other page
The other die cut
A final look

Created for me and especially for these Challenges
Allsorts Challenge #426 Photo Inspiration
I’ve been luckily that I can enter the challenge as I have used the colours in the inspiration photograph as well as lots of flowers, which have faded a little

Cardz TV Challenge Mailbox Smiles Anything Goes #7
Colour Crazy Craft Challenge #30 Anything Goes
Love to Create Challenge #15 Mixed Media Anything Goes
Simon Says Stamps Monday Challenge You’ve got the edge: I used stencils and inks to add detail and darkness to the edges


I popped a splat of gesso onto the paper and I used my brayer to smooth the gesso flat. Once that was dry I added another splat of gesso and I used a disposable knife to butter and add texture to both of the pages. I left that to dry overnight. The next day I added water to a buff coloured acrylic paint (sorry I don’t have the details any more as I finished that paint on that day). I left that to dry naturally as I didn’t want an uneven base layer and I didn’t want any bubbles for a change lol! Then I grabbed my Doxide re-inkers and added a little of each colour to my paint palette and added little bit of water to loosen them up. I then added a spray of water to my journal pages and started adding little and big puddles of ink onto the pages.  The dies that I used were one of my birthday presents. My hubby purchased me a new and larger die cutting machine along with several dies which was totally unexpected but very much appreciated as I was struggling with my old one.  I die cut them from patterned paper and then coloured them with Distress Oxide re-inkers before attaching them to the page.

When it was my birthday last month I got a beautiful card from an overseas friend that was really beautiful and made me smile. In with the card was a set of beautiful Stamplorations stamps which was an out of the blue surprise and a very unexpected gift, thank you sweet lady (you know who you are), you really couldn’t have picked a better set of stamps for me. Thank you so much you are a special friend and you really made me smile that day. Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment. I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon ttfn Karen x












Tools
Stamp & Stencil:
Stamplorations Bold Sentiments: Hash Tag Authentic stamp set
Stamplorations Artplorations: 045 Bloom Silhouettes stencil
Die Cutting Machine & Dies:
Sizzix Big Shot Plus die cutting machine
Do Crafts X Cut: Patterned Birds die set
Miscellaneous Tools:
MISTI; heat tool; paintbrushes; water pot; paint palette; mini ink blending tool and foam; Distress spray water bottle; brayer

Supplies
Card Paper:
Pink Pig A5 Journal
Snippets: patterned paper for die cutting
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Acrylic paint: Buff
Distress Oxides: Worn Jeans; Cracked Pistachio; Worn Lipstick; Wilted Violet; Fossilised Amber
Adhesives/Mediums:
Gesso
Collall all purpose glue

9 comments:

brenda said...

Sounds like you have real fun creating your journal pages Karen and they are just lovely, many thanks for sharing them with us at Allsorts challenge this week.

B

Cara said...

How brilliant that you're feeling freer and able to expand your crafting journey. It's definitely the best therapy! Take care x

Corrie Herriman said...

Lovely ! Thanks for joining us over at Country View Challenges !
Corrie x

Jane said...

Hi Karen another fab entry into our things with wings challenge over at Country View. It's such fun playing in your journal isn't it..enjoy a creative summer xxx

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

Loving the Blurred wording on your pages. Thank you again for sharing with us over at That's Crafty and entering the Blog Challenge. Have a great week. Tracey.

Sandra said...

Such a lovely art journal spread, lots of details in the background. Thank you so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. Hugs, Sandra

Tracy said...

Thanks for joining Allsorts challenge with this great entry, good luck.
Happy crafting
Tracy x

susiestacey said...

Lovely pages.
Thank you for sharing at Allsorts Colour Inspiration challenge this week and good luck x Susan x

Inky Kitty said...

Great page, thank you for joining in the challenge on the We Love to Create blog.