Thursday, 27 July 2017

Pushing my comfort zone ...

Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well. For the past couple of weeks I’ve been plotting and experimenting a lot, lol! When I share the challenges I wanted to enter and their themes I think you may understand the title, lol, at least I hope you do! Anyways here is what I have been creating for the last week or so …

 
A 5" x 7" canvas
Lots of lovely depth
All the yummy details
I love this butterfly stamp
This is the stencil I'm in love with right now, can't use it enough
One of my out of comfort zone embellishments

Lace snippets plus that trim that I've owned forever

A final look

Created for me and especially for these Challenges

  
MMW#7 Anything Mixed Media Goes
with a twist to use natural ingredients: I’ve used mulberry paper, twine and a nectarine stone which was scrubbed to make sure all the flesh was removed and then left to dry for a couple of weeks

Simon Says Stamps Monday Challenge You’ve got the edge:
I used laces and a trim to enhance the edges of the canvas


I altered &/ distressed the following:
Roses and Hip roses; Bling Mesh; Lace; Circle drop trimming


At the beginning of the month, when the mixed media challenges are posted, several of them had me scratching my head and no ideas I could come up with. So my next step was, as usual, a chat with hubby and after that was when my brain went into overdrive. Another of the mixed media challenges has asked that you make your old embellishments new again. I knew immediately what I would incorporate and what I could alter to make my embellishments fresh and new. Another of the challenges asks for colour, texture and shape and I knew what I wanted to incorporate for that one and I know the lovely ladies from that particular challenge will let me know if I’ve not covered that correctly lol! I have been lucky in that Simon Says Stamps Monday challenge is all about edges and I’ve used lace and trim to enhance the edges and when I learnt the challenge at Country View Crafts I wanted to enter with a mixed media canvas incorporating butterflies so I’ve very luckily been able to incorporate that into my project too.

I applied a layer of gesso to my canvas and then attached Sheena’s stencil to it and applied Pebeo texture paste through it. Once that was dry I attached the laces and trim to it and left them to dry too. I grabbed a snippet of white card and attached my lovely Tim Holtz stencil to it and used the last of my Dreamweaver pearl embossing paste to it. Once the paste was dry I coloured the card with Distress Crayons and I tore all the edges and put it to one side. I created a bouquet of flowers by using roses, rose hips and a spiral stamen and I twisted them together and I trimmed the wires before wrapping with a ribbon to hide the stems and to make it look a lot nicer. I used Doxide re-inkers to colour the flowers and then I added some vintage gold H2O watercolour paint to distress them a little more. I created a spiral twine circle which simply means using a die cut circle and marking the centre of it. I pierced the die cut circle and threaded the twine through and attached it to the back using double sided tape.

I got all of the separate elements together and started to play around with a layout, this bit takes me a long time! Once I was happy with the way it looked I then glued everything in place using Pebeo matt medium because I want to make sure they are properly stuck on. I added finishing touches like colouring the edges of the canvas and I was done. I really enjoyed creating this canvas and plan to do some more soon! Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment. I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon ttfn Karen x










Tools
Stamp:
Sheena Douglass A Little Bit Sketchy A5 Butterfly Effect stamp set
Stencil:
Sheena Douglass 7”x7” Distress Grid stencil
Tim Holtz layering stencil THS077 Floral
Die Cutting Machine & Dies:
Sizzix Big Shot Plus die cutting machine
Spellbinders Classic Circle large
Miscellaneous Tools:
MISTI; heat tool; paintbrushes; water pot; paint palette; palette knife; ink blending foam

Supplies
Card Paper:
Snippets: Sheena Douglass white stamping card
5” x 7” box stencil
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Distress Oxide re-inkers: Vintage Photo; Worn Lipstick
Distress Crayons Set 1
Luminarte H2O paints: vintage gold; deep pink
Acrylic paints: white; red
Embellishments:
Wild Orchid Crafts: Roses; Hip Roses; Pearl Stamen
The Ribbon Girls: Natural Button Twine
Bling mesh and ribbon from my stash
Nectarine stone
Adhesives/Mediums:
Pebeo: white gesso; texture paste
Dreamweaver pearl embossing paste
Collall all purpose glue
Collall 3D glue gel


9 comments:

Astrid Maclean said...

Wow, looking at this, one would never guess you were pushed out of your comfort zone, - it looks fantastic with all that yummy texture! Love the addition of the trip and that beautiful dimensional butterfly! Thanks so much for adding it to our challenge at Mixed Media Monthly!

Cara said...

Love how you've created the texture paste flowers, they are stunning x

Inky and Quirky Designs said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
cuilliesocks said...

Absolutely gorgeous Karen, what wonderful texture and colours to your canvas, the butterfly is glorious, beautifully designed work of art, Kate x

rachel said...

really pretty make Karen - gorgeous!Thanks for joining the Things with Wings challenge at Countryview challenges and Good Luck! Hugs rachel x

Tracey@Hotchpotchcreations said...

What a pretty canvas Karen, I love gathering all my bits and pieces up and working out where to place the pieces. It's a great way to discover new combinations. Thank you for sharing another beauty with us all over at That's Crafty. Have a great weekend Tracey.

Sara Barker said...

A nectarine pit?! Are you serious? Now that's one I haven't seen yet! Well done, Karen, for stepping out of your comfort zone...it looks like you've been in it forever! Great texture and luscious color! You did a great job incorporating all the challenges! Hugs! Sara Emily

Maura Hibbitts said...

So pretty in pinks, Karen! I really like your mix of textures and designs! Thanks so much for sharing your lovely creation with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge! hugs, Maura

Team Clark said...

Congrats on your wins at That's Crafty my friend!