Friday, 18 August 2017
Doxides and Watercolours ...
Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week was good and you have lovely weekend plans. After I received my Viva Decor 12” square stencil I knew that at some point I wanted to create an A4 size canvas. I also knew I wanted to use my Distress Oxide inks with my Luminarte H2O’s, one or more butterfly stamps and my Tim Holtz Flower Garden stamp set. It has taken some time and planning but I finally got to to create this …
I created an A4 piece!
Lots of depth and texture
All the gorgeous details
The Paperbabe butterflies and Tim Holtz flower stamps have proved to be very useful
The pearl embossing paste, a bead and some H2O watercolour
A final look
Created for me and especially for these Challenges
A Vintage Journey Challenge Watercolour
Craft Stamper Magazine Challenge TIMI Anything Goes
Mixed Media World Challenge MMW#28 Mood board
The flower and butterfly inspired me to use Paperbabe Pieridae stamp set
I was inspired by how the beautiful bright flowers pulled my eyes in as well as all the foliage against the fence
I’ve been able to incorporate the different mood boards/photographs from each of the challenges because of the light colours, flowers and nature themes. I wanted to push myself by creating on a larger scale than usual and I wanted to capture each of the photograph/mood boards, I hope I’ve explained that well lol! I’m lucky that it worked and that now I want to create A4 size again. I actually pushed myself creating this canvas because it’s not my usual comfort zone and it took me a lot longer to complete than I expected just because of it being bigger. I have been trying to use up my different Dreamweaver embossing pastes so I stencilled the butterflies with a lot more pearl embossing paste than I usually would. However I’ve finally used up my old tubs of embossing pastes, some of them have been around for eight or nine years so that was a great bonus for me. I’ve also been experimenting with how I apply colour through stencils and I think I’ve figured out a way I can watercolour through the stencils without any going underneath the stencil.
1. I used a piece of A4 watercolour card and attached the Viva Decor stencil with Washi tape. I lightly coloured the areas that were blank with watered down Distress Oxide re-inkers.
2. I applied the Dreamweaver embossing paste, removed the stencil and left it for forty eight hours to dry. I erred on the side of caution, making sure that the embossing paste was completely dry as I never apply it that heavily. I had already started to fall in love with how this canvas was shaping up.
3. Once it was dry I applied glue to the back of the watercolour card and then stuck it onto a piece of A4 chipboard (it was the backing part of a watercolour pad). I worked from the top and used my brayer, taking time smoothing it down. The chipboard was a little bigger than my A4 paper so I wasn’t overly anxious because I knew I had some wriggle/trim room.
4. I used three of the Flower Garden stamps and stamped multiples of them onto Sheena stamping card snippets. I coloured the stamped flowers with multiple mediums, I grabbed whatever colouring supplies were on my desk but I forgot to make a note of the colours or which product I used. I used Distress and Doxide re-inkers and Spectrum Noir AquaTints.
5. I left the stamped flowers to dry overnight and the next day I fussy cut.
6. I stamped the butterflies onto Distress Oxide coloured snippets which were left over from other projects and then fussy cut them and put to one side.
7. I tried different layouts but I felt the canvas was too flat so I decided to decoupage the flowers because I knew I’d then have depth and texture. I stamped more flowers on Sheena stamping card snippets and coloured as best I could until I was happy.
8. I then decoupaged the flowers and stamped the stems onto further snippets which I coloured with the three watercolour mediums. Before sorting out the layout I applied Luminarte H2O watercolours to parts of the decoupaged flowers as I wanted a little shimmer.
Once I was happy with the layout I glued everything in position and looked for some more things to embellish the canvas with. I used beautiful long glass beads to create the body of the butterflies and adhered those in position. I decided to add a little glimmer here and there too so I added some sparkle using the Luminarte H2O watercolours. I was finished, exhausted but happy lol! Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment. I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon ttfn Karen x
Tim Holtz Flower Garden Stamp set
Paperbabe Pieridae butterfly stamp set
Viva Decor #08 Flowers and Music 29 cm square stencil
MISTI; heat tool; paintbrushes; water pot; paint palette; spray water bottle; palette knife
A4 watercolour card
A4 chipboard sheet
Snippets: Sheena Douglass white stamping card
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Distress re-inkers: Broken China; Shabby Shutters; Worn Lipstick; Squeezed Lemonade
Distress Oxide re-inkers: Broken China; Worn Lipstick; Fossilised Amber; Cracked Pistachio
Luminarte H2O watercolours: gold; white; jasmine pink
Spectrum Noir AquaTints: Primary
Derwent Coloursoft pencils: Black; Pink; Red; Yellow
Dreamweaver Pearl embossing paste
Collall all purpose glue
Collall 3D glue gel