Thursday, 1 November 2018
House of Cards November ...
Hello my lovely friends and visitors, I hope your week is going well. I’m back with my House Of Cards post today and for this month once again we have a choice for you. You can either use the theme or the colour palette or be inspired by both of the options in the photograph and here are the options …
Pearl Accents &/ Colours
I was inspired to use both gold and pearl accents and I was inspired by the colour palette too and here is my card …
An A5 card
It has lots of lovely texture and some depth
All the lovely details
The lovely tree image
The lovely pearl!
Luckily for me I can also enter these ChallengesPixi
A Inky Mess Challenge #25 MMAG
Allsorts Challenge #490 Pearls & Gems
Crafty Hazelnut’s Christmas Challenge #409 Anything Christmas Goes
Frilly & Funkie Challenge Impress Us
Scrapy Land Challenge #100 Celebration
I used Sizzix dies & Crafters Companion embossing folder
I decided to see if I could create my own pearlised card using my Essential Spectrum Noir AquaTints and here’s how I did that:
1. Using a spray bottle of water dampen a piece of card.
2. I mixed gold AquaTints with water to create a gold watercolour wash which I painted onto the card and left it to dry.
3. The colour wasn’t as good as I hoped so I added another layer of gold watercolour wash but I was not completely happy with the end result as there were streaks in the paint, I left the card to dry.
4. I grabbed my bottle of glicerine and poured some into a palette and I added gold AquaTints to it. I applied a third layer of colour using a sponge and the card was completely coloured, no streaks, however it was very gaudy in colour.
5. I had also done the previous four steps using silver AquaTints onto another piece of card as originally I planned to colour two different sheets and have one silver and one gold pearlised card. The silver coloured card was dark and dull.
6. Rather than bin both pieces of card I wondered if I added a layer of silver AquaTints to the gold card and gold AquaTints to the silver card if I could rescue the card. It worked!
And here’s what I did next:
1. Once I had my pearlised gold card I left it to dry and then I run it through my die cutting machine in an embossing folder. I used a Distress ink pad with ink blending tool and foam to lightly add colour to the top of the embossing.
2. I stamped and heat embossed the Christmas tree sentiment onto a snippet of cream card and coloured the card with a Distress ink pad and ink blending tool and foam. I sprayed that with water and dried it with my heat tool. I used a Versamark pen to add ink around the tree stamped image and into the star at the top of the tree then I added Vintage Beeswax Baked Texture embossing powder from Emerald Creek and I used my heat tool to melt the powder.
3. I coloured another snippet of card using a Distress Oxide ink pad to create a very dark matt for the stamped and heat embossed tree topper.
4. I die cut the deer from cream snippets then coloured them with Brushed Corduroy Distress ink pad and the ink blending tool and foam. I sprayed them with water to give them a dappled coat.
5. I coloured the Prima wooden icons using gold and green Spectrum Noir AquaTints.
6. I coloured cream ribbon to make it look older and then tied it in a bow.
7. I folded a piece of A4 cream card in half and edged it with Vintage Photo distress ink pad and ink blending tool.
8. I figured out the layout of the elements then glued all the items in position. My finishing touches was to add gems and pearls to the stamped topper!
Phew! There were an awful lot of steps involved in creating this card. And, unusually for me and hubby, we love the golden brown distressed Christmas card I have created. I think I need to see if I can create some more like this in different colours and I will definitely be creating more of my own pearlised card in future! Thank you so much for taking the time to visit and comment. I really do appreciate it and I hope you get some time to do what you love to do soon ttfn Karen x
Stamp &/ Stencil:
Personal Impressions wood mounted stamp
Die Cutting Machine & Dies:
Sizzix Big Shot Plus die cutting machine
Tim Holtz Reindeer Flight Bigz die
Crafters Companion Nordic Weave A4 embossing folder
Heat tool; paintbrushes; water pot; paint palette; ink blending tool and foam; spray water bottle
Card &/ Paper &/ Substrate:
Crafters Companion A4 Cream matt card
Snippets: Crafters Companion Cream Matt card
EP Ink/Paint/Pen Colours:
Vintage Photo Distress Oxide ink pad
Distress ink pads: Vintage Photo; Brushed Corduroy
Spectrum Noir AquaTints: Essentials; Primary
Emerald Creek Vintage Beeswax Baked Texture embossing powder
Cosmic Shimmer bright gold detail embossing powder
Prima wooden icons
White self adhesive pearls and mini bling stones from my stash
Ribbon from my stash
Collall all purpose glue